07-27-07, 08:59 PM
New?
Rebuilt?
Remanufactured?

remanufactured

AJxtcman
07-27-07, 09:38 PM
I do not beleive that is possible.
If they say they remanufactured the Engine you have a problem.

clarkz71
07-28-07, 06:41 AM
I do not beleive that is possible.
If they say they remanufactured the Engine you have a problem.

What's your point of view on this AJ? Why would he have a problem?

AJxtcman
07-29-07, 12:42 PM
What's your point of view on this AJ? Why would he have a problem?

If I sold you a tire as a new tire, but it was a recap how would you feel?

A new engine is new everything.

A remanufactured engine is by Jaspers Definition:To remanufacture is to make as close to new as possible. Wearable parts are automatically replaced. All core material is closely inspected and checked against original equipment specifications for correct dimensional tolerances. Replacement parts are new and made in the same production process as original equipment. Testing is performed to manufacturer specifications and original production standards.

A rebuilt engine by Jaspers Definition is: To rebuild is to recondition by cleaning, inspecting and replacing severely worn or broken parts. Serviceable parts are reused within the manufacturer's acceptable wear limits.
According to the Automotive Parts Rebuilders Association A top-quality remanufactured engine will have new pistons, bored and honed cylinders, remanufactured camshaft and crankshaft with new bearings, new valves, valve springs and keepers. Leading remanufacturers install updates on the engines they remanufacture.
I am under the impression that you can not bore the block. Say you did and some one sells pistons. Now it is not within GM service specs.
I feel that you can reman the head, and rebuild the lower end. The cranks are great. I have only replaced 2 and should have replaced 1 that I did not. The line bore can not be redone either, The rods can not be redone, so this leave a crank, pistons, gaskets and seals, oil pump, and timing components that can be replaced. I have seen a lot of block at the service limit at 60K and then you can not put pistons in it.
If someone is selling a REMAN engine I would say it is rebuilt and the price should reflect that.

dkozloski
07-29-07, 02:41 PM
If you want to remanufacture an engine you have to grind it up and bury it, dig it up, re-refine the metal, and start all over again. Somebody selling engines can claim anything they want but that doesn't make it so. Northstar V8s and other engnes with cast in liners can be rebored. The sticking point with the Northstar is the cylinder wall finishing process that requires diamond tooling that only GM has. Any pretender is going to have a limited life compared to the real thing. Oversize pistons and rings are available in several different designs. The connecting rods are manufactured with what are called "cracked caps" that do not allow the normal shaving and big end rebore of lesser designs. The rods could be replaced with new rods or specially made bearing inserts that are oversize on the o.d. could be used in rebored rods. It is possible to achieve news specs on all parts but nobody in his right mind is going to do it this way; they're going to buy new.

AJxtcman
07-29-07, 02:58 PM
All of that would not be with in GM spec's and that is part of a Reman engine.
PS I have Diamond stones for a Sunnen honer that I own. Yes I have Machine shop Tools. I own a parts washer that I have at the dealership. I worked in machine shops for about 5 years.

dkozloski
07-29-07, 03:16 PM
I've had a Sunnen rigid hone for about 45 years but it's not the same as the honing machines and gauging systems that the manufacturers use. I was a journeyman machinist when I was 17 years old in a custom machine shop that did everything you could imagine. That was back when people actually fixed things.

AJxtcman
07-29-07, 03:40 PM
I've had a Sunnen rigid hone for about 45 years but it's not the same as the honing machines and gauging systems that the manufacturers use. I was a journeyman machinist when I was 17 years old in a custom machine shop that did everything you could imagine. That was back when people actually fixed things.

http://www.sunnen.com/product/pdf/engineBuilding/97-105.pdf

Yeah People fixed stuff, but they could. The parts are made thinner, lighter, and with no allowable servicing. You can cut rotor once if you are lucky now a days.

CASTOR TROY
07-29-07, 04:39 PM
www.ae-engines.com
this is the web addy
i got a 3 yr warrenty so i guess ill hope for the best