: 1970 Eldorado 14,400ORIG miles (TimeCapsule)

BAugust
04-13-04, 10:53 AM
Guys,

I'm about to drop $20,000 on the 1970 Eldorado, Cinamon Firemist, with Optional SUNROOF. Now this is the REAL DEAL kept in Climate controlled Storage for over 30 years it is Truly Unbelievable.
Now, as far as Performance, what did this car ORIGINALLY run in the quarter Mile, 15's?? Low 16's??

What might be my problem areas, the Radiator has been flushed several times through the years, the air was just charged and blows very cold.

Thanks in Advance!!!

JJhomer83
04-13-04, 11:28 AM
Guys,

I'm about to drop $20,000 on the 1970 Eldorado, Cinamon Firemist, with Optional SUNROOF. Now this is the REAL DEAL kept in Climate controlled Storage for over 30 years it is Truly Unbelievable.
Now, as far as Performance, what did this car ORIGINALLY run in the quarter Mile, 15's?? Low 16's??

What might be my problem areas, the Radiator has been flushed several times through the years, the air was just charged and blows very cold.

Thanks in Advance!!!

GO FOR IT it sounds like a GREAT deal

BAugust
04-13-04, 02:14 PM
Gee ..Thanks... But what I really need are some answers to my questions on it (above)?

Guys???

JJhomer83
04-13-04, 02:29 PM
Gee ..Thanks... But what I really need are some answers to my questions on it (above)?

Guys???

ohhh sorry about that
1/4 time would be a guess around 17ish
now for problem areas i would look for rust on the car and cracked lines. Remove lights check under the car, check the exhaust etcc....
hopefully someone with more knowledge will chyme in

BAugust
04-13-04, 03:44 PM
hopefully someone with more knowledge will chyme in

Not to be unappreciative, but yes. And as far as RUST, no one would shell out 20k without seeing DOZENS of digital photo's of the Undercarriage as well as every other Nook & Cranny of the car, which is SHOWROOM quality. As far as 1/4 mile times, this year 1970 ELDORADO is held up as the QUICKEST of ALL
the older Cadillacs, so I would HOPE its AT LEAST a high 15, if not faster!!

Anyone?? Bueller??

JJhomer83
04-13-04, 04:55 PM
1979 Cadillac Eldorado (Gas) 1/4 = 17.9

not what your look for but this is what i found

Imprl59
04-13-04, 05:36 PM
Your in the right neighborhood for performance specs. I can't find any specs online but it is a damn fast car for a luxury liner.

Things to worry about:
Gas tank - Probably full of crud. I would pull it and have it boiled out.

Rubber gas lines - Current fuel specs will make quick work of old rubber lines and fuel pumps. Go ahead and replace them with current spec rubber.

Rubber on the engine - Replace all the vacuum lines hoses and belts. Age will be getting to them.

Gaskets - The gaskets will probably start leaking as soon as it goes back in service.

Freeze plugs - If the engine didn't have fresh antifreeze in it all these years the freeze plugs will rust. They could bust out when you get going.

The shaft seal on the compressor will probably die in short order. You can have just the seal replaced when/if it goes out.

I would change the tranny fluid and the differential fluid.

Brakes will also be a sore spot if it wasnt driven on a regular basis. Count on new MC, wheel cylinders/calipers and new rubber hoses.

After doing this several times I would say count on spending another 2k getting it ready to go and you should easily be ready to go for another 100k after that. Sounds like a beautiful car. Please put some pics up on the web and let us know where they are when you can.

Steve B.

Elvis
04-13-04, 05:45 PM
Imprl59 just made a post worthy of the #1 spot in the FAQ.

Can I get an Amen?

ThomasO
04-13-04, 06:27 PM
AMEN:worship:

BAugust
04-13-04, 09:05 PM
1979 Cadillac Eldorado (Gas) 1/4 = 17.9

not what your look for but this is what i found

Great, but mines a 70 NOT 79!!!!!!!!! "Should be more like a 15.8-16.2 with the 400hp!

So.....ANYONE KNOW!!

By the way, thanks Imprl59, thats EXACTLY what I was looking for! Pics coming shortly!

davesdeville
04-13-04, 10:11 PM
Well, a 70 Eldorado weighs 4630 pounds, and has a high compression 500. Cad company got 323hp and 504 ft.lbs torque from a bone stock high compression 500. The 400hp/550ft.lb claim was inflated quite a bit because they didn't really have a standard way of calculating power until I think it was 73.

I don't know how reliable any of the online 1/4 mile ET calculators are, but most say you're looking at a mid-high 15 second 1/4.

ThomasO
04-13-04, 10:25 PM
Why would anybody want to take this car, a $20,000., mint condition, 4,000 lb., 1970 Cadillac, to a dragstrip and beat hell out of it?:hmm::tisk:
Guys,

Thanks in Advance!!!

MMNineInchNails
04-13-04, 11:52 PM
because it's badass.

Ralph
04-14-04, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a beauty. When my Dad sold his 11,000 mile 1971 442 w-30 Olds, the only thing that happened was the waterpump gasket becomming brittle and cracking up with old age causing a bad leak. It STILL has the original firestone Wide O Ovals on it! So some rubber seems to stand the test of time. (safety may be another factor) All of my Dad's cars are fairly low mileage, and as long as it was ran and possible driven every so-often it might be ok. there are no guarentees.

I am curious if you have the original tires, hoses, etc on it if you buy it. Something like this could be in a museum, so don't race it, worship it! It is an important part of automotive history that will likely NEVER be found again in this condition! :worship: If you feel the need to go racing, I hope you buy a Trans Am to beat the crap out of. :rolleyes:

ThomasO
04-14-04, 02:17 AM
OH! I see. Well that makes since. Thanks NIN for the enlightenment.http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/st_peter/cady7001.JPG .
because it's badass.

BAugust
04-14-04, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys, NO I don't intend to race it, but if I pull
up at a Stop light and some riced out Honda pulls up next to me, well.....

Heres a link to pics:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b376f2f1e4df (http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b376f2f1e4df&notag=1)

ThomasO
04-14-04, 12:14 PM
BAugust, that is one fine Cadillac. Some people have all the luck. Enjoy!!......Tom

vanaisa
04-14-04, 01:07 PM
Nice car! :worship:

highonchai
04-15-04, 12:40 PM
Wow, very much: Wow, a beauty!

tripleyellow78cad
04-16-04, 09:47 PM
:burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::b urn::burn:
OH! HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n3rdcore
04-16-04, 11:06 PM
wow...that's gorgeous. congrats on finding that thing and good to see another Eldo 500 owner :)

I just got my 72 eldo and the vaccuum line plastic T connectors are all breaking every time I touch them. They've become VERY brittle. Plan on replacing those. There is one part, a 3 way vaccuum solenoid, that I took to 5 auto-part stores and got blank stares about. It's got that same brittle plastic on the front. One hose goes in back of carb, one in front, and one down to vac distribution block under the distributor. Careful when u change your ignition points or you will break the front of it off (assuming you even have it), as it's located right in your way next to the distributor. That's how mine went. I finally had to go to the Caddy dealer and special order it, we'll see if it's the same OEM part....

CDV478
05-10-04, 05:31 PM
BAugust, the high 15/low 16 1/4 mile speculations are correct. In the April 1970 issue of Car and Driver a road test of the '70 Eldorado was published. It contains performance fugures, photos, etc. I found a copy at a car show about 10 years ago and I'd publish the figures, but my magazine is in AZ and I'm stationed in FL. You should be able to find a copy on Ebay. If you search at a car show look for a bright green '70 Plymouth Superbird on the cover with "The Insurance Squeeze" as the dominant line. The photos are black and white, but it's an interesting article.