: 1988 Brougham Rust Pictures!

Cadillac_Fan
07-27-07, 03:22 PM
Ages ago, I posted some pics of my beloved '88 Brougham and sought feedback whether I should save or part ways with the old girl. Well, after getting hosed for some mechanical repairs and a new gas tank & install (which cost an obscene amount from a dealer) I've decided to keep her until I find my 90-92 d'Elegance w/5.7L, wire wheels & a moonroof in Diplomat Blue. Dare to dream...

Back to the rust, 90Brougham350 wanted to see some close-ups, so I finally got around to taking them. Most are rust blisters are on the doors, a pretty bad one on the driver's side rear door handle, and a spot the size of a dime on the trunk trim.

What do you think? Do these look like a major repair ordeal? Awaiting Ben's deVille Phaeton has given me the itch to get my Brougham up to rust-free status.

(I took an extra garage shot and a photo of some of the dealer license plates I've collected, too!)

Cadillac_Fan
07-27-07, 03:41 PM
Interior of the doors...

Cadillac_Fan
07-27-07, 03:45 PM
(Tried to post the images attached in the first post directly on the thread.)

Cadillac_Fan
07-27-07, 11:59 PM
Any thoughts on whether that rust is worth repairing? Or would I do best to save any more repair money and allocate it toward my '90-'92 Brougham 'fund'?

coleman
07-28-07, 12:09 AM
I've done more than a few rust repairs, my first 2nd gen Firebird was from Pittsburgh (dumb move on my part).

Most of the time pitting like that is something you can fix with a random orbital sander following by a sandblaster followed by Naval jelly (any rust seeding WILL make rust return). Then POR-15 (Eastwood Rust Encapsulator is good too), prime, and paint. I've done all this before and I'll have to do this to a few places on the main underbody of my '93 Fleetwood.

Or... You can just some nice rust free junkyard parts as I started to do. Much nicer than all that work :D

jayoldschool
07-28-07, 09:59 AM
I hesitated to post this yesterday, but here goes...

Unless you are going to do all the work yourself, it is not worth putting the money in to get a shop to fix it and refinish. The shop bill will be more than the car is worth. Think about it: you can find another 88 that is rust-free for less than the cost of fixing yours. We love our cars, but they are not worth much (on the open market). Just FYI - I paid $1000 for my original paint, rust-free 81 FWB D'ELegance coupe. One ad below mine was an 89, mint, low miles, for 1700.

90Brougham350
07-28-07, 10:08 AM
Jay is right with the cost of bodywork. I've done all the work to mine so far, but that's because I have the time and the energy to do it, and I wanted to learn how to do it. If you're patient and willing to take the time, go for it. You'll learn a ton about your car doing bodywork on it, and you'll probably have a good time doing it.

Brian

Cadillac_Fan
07-28-07, 10:14 AM
Many thanks for your input coleman & jayoldschool. I genuinely appreciate coleman's repair suggestions and jayoldschool's honest candor and frank input.

Last year, I got a quote of $900 to repair the rust spots & paint the affected areas; yet I know it needs gaskets/seals, as the 307 really goes through oil, too. I could see that job, alone, touching $1,000. Between the rust and oil consumption issues, sagging headliner, broken cassette deck, and erratic climate control issues, it's time to think long and hard about pouring much more into her. However, I have recently replaced the gas tank, sending unit, front brakes, and the coolant system (water pump, radiatior, hoses).

Big dilemma, nonetheless. That $900 sure would be a nice boost toward the purchase of a '90-'92 Brougham.

Cadillac_Fan
07-28-07, 10:21 AM
Jay is right with the cost of bodywork. I've done all the work to mine so far, but that's because I have the time and the energy to do it, and I wanted to learn how to do it. If you're patient and willing to take the time, go for it. You'll learn a ton about your car doing bodywork on it, and you'll probably have a good time doing it.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Sorry it took so long to get the photos up, too! Unfortunately, I was unable to garage it during last winter and that really knocked the hell out of her rust-wise. Plus, the paint has thinned and nearly become weatherchecked in some areas. However, after a coat or two of wax, it really shines up and looks good from about 10 feet away. I sure wish I had the acuity and talent to do the body work myself.

As I've said before, I really admire your exceptional Brougham and the two tone scheme you did - a very classy ride.