: 74/74 Cadillac Wagon In Boneyard.

Wheelman322
07-27-07, 11:36 AM
Found 74 /75 Deville Wagon...it's gotta be a low # production car. Someone in Cali should buy this....Looks pretty salvagable. I was hunting for a 500 cid motor and came across it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180141658540&indexURL=2&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

bicentennialcadillac
07-27-07, 01:56 PM
Fleetwood 'Castillian.'

CaddymanTom
07-27-07, 03:26 PM
I believe it is a 1976 Fleetwood wagon. I e-mailed them to see if they are selling the whole car. Looks like some rust on the hood and sides. I may take a trip to LA this weekend :stirpot:

CaddymanTom
07-27-07, 11:11 PM
Well the people that are selling this car have been very helpful. They have sent me some inside shots. The interior is messy, but not torn up. Leather seats looks a little worn though. There are no holes or dents in the body but a lot of surface rust. Not really too sure of what the top is supposed to look like. From the pics I have gotten it looks like a halo vinyl top with a large stainless steel band that is forward of the station wagon part of the car. Also I am not sure how I would replace the rear window that is broken out. From what I tell the tail light fillers would be just the regular ones that go on a standard Fleetwood or DeVille of the same year. As for getting the running not sure what would all be involved. Any one have any ideas on what I might be getting into here?
:confused:

CaddyshackCadillac
07-27-07, 11:18 PM
i dont know but that would be a very talked about vehicle for a car show once restored thats a super rare find .....

jayoldschool
07-27-07, 11:30 PM
I would think that the rear window would be a standard GM unit. Start looking at images of similar year GM wagons and see if you can spot it. Alternatively, search the web for someone who has one (I am sure someone must have a web page on one of these things), and ask them for the data on the window (or, they may know the window source). A glass shop should be able to figure that out.

Check this out:

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/1976_Cadillac_Castilian.html

Wheelman322
07-28-07, 01:23 AM
To re-iterate what I already said, if I was in Cali, it would be in my driveway. It would be sad if this car finds its way to the crusher.

CaddymanTom
07-28-07, 06:02 PM
Ok everyone I am off to Anaheim tomorrow morning with my trailer to pick up my new 1976 Caddy wagon. I paid $600.00 plus tax for the car. I am going with a new battery, a set of tires and jack and some gas and see if I can get the thing started to get it up on my trailer. I agree that this was too rare to go to the crusher. I will post pics once I get it home. Look for a lot more posts on getting this car back to it original state. Another adventure begins:)

jayoldschool
07-28-07, 06:33 PM
NICE! I bet we can figure out that window. PICS, of course!!!:thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
07-28-07, 07:01 PM
That is so cool! I so happy a member got that and it isnt going to the crusher. If i get the Sage coupe it'll be a regular rare Caddy restoration party.

CaddyshackCadillac
07-28-07, 07:53 PM
man i cant wait to see this im excited like super dee duperly excited should be one hell of a project CONGRATS.....

Wheelman322
07-28-07, 08:05 PM
Ok everyone I am off to Anaheim tomorrow morning with my trailer to pick up my new 1976 Caddy wagon. I paid $600.00 plus tax for the car. I am going with a new battery, a set of tires and jack and some gas and see if I can get the thing started to get it up on my trailer. I agree that this was too rare to go to the crusher. I will post pics once I get it home. Look for a lot more posts on getting this car back to it original state. Another adventure begins:)

Goal for Wheelman. I may have to start posting more of these threads. I see lots of potential projects, but my wallets getting empty and my driveway is getting full. Good luck Caddyman, I'm sure you'll keep us updated.

CaddymanTom
07-28-07, 11:37 PM
I also wanted to thank Wheelman for the tip. I am excited about tomorrow. We shall see what I have purchased. Like I said earlier pics will be on tomorrow evening

Destroyer
07-29-07, 09:05 AM
I also wanted to thank Wheelman for the tip. I am excited about tomorrow. We shall see what I have purchased. Like I said earlier pics will be on tomorrow eveningNice man!. Bittersweet cause you saved this piece of Cadillac history from the crusher. :thumbsup:

z06bigbird
07-29-07, 02:02 PM
Glad you have a spare $25k to restore this vehicle.

subysonic
07-29-07, 02:34 PM
you guys see this one? BIN of $2500!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Eldorado-WAGON-1971-ELDORADO-2-DOOR-WAGON-PROJECT-RAT-ROD-HEARSE-RARE_W0QQitemZ250146399880QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6147Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Destroyer
07-29-07, 03:55 PM
you guys see this one? BIN of $2500!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Eldorado-WAGON-1971-ELDORADO-2-DOOR-WAGON-PROJECT-RAT-ROD-HEARSE-RARE_W0QQitemZ250146399880QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6147Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
What a bargain!:highfive:

CaddyshackCadillac
07-29-07, 05:51 PM
damn the guy could have at least hit it with the hose lol.......now find me a cheap 80-84 coupedeville or fleetwood coupe....!!!!!!!!!

Night Wolf
07-29-07, 05:58 PM
Congrats! man good to see the old Caddys getting a new home to be fixed up, thats awesome :)

CaddymanTom
07-29-07, 11:11 PM
Well the car is home and it has been a long day. My two friends and I got up early to hit the road. Once arriving at the pawn shop where the car was located. It was being store behind the pawn shop. I met the consigner who was selling it for the owner of the pawn shop. Behind the shop there where various boats, trucks, and 86 Mercedes 560 SEL, two Nash metroplitians and finally the Cadillac. The first thing I saw was the huge hitch on the back of it. Amazingly enough the rear tires still had air in them. The two front tires are shot. I brought an extra set so my friends and I replaced the front ones. We put a new battery in the car and all the inside lights work. The power windows work. Locks dont work. Leather inside is dried out. The carpeting is a lambs wool type dirty but very plush. The outside has all its emblems, chrome is good. The chrome trim pieces on the roof will have to be rechromed along with the band that hides what I am thinking will be the seam for the wagon back end. I will have to replace the hood rusted pretty bad. The conversion seems to have involved using a lot of body filler which is popping out on the roof. Cont. next thread

CaddyshackCadillac
07-29-07, 11:17 PM
so after getting it is it a reasonable enough fix or is it gonna be a pocket killer?

CaddymanTom
07-29-07, 11:28 PM
There is some rust on the rear qtr panel but nothing too serious. We tried to get the car started, no luck, so we had to winch the car on the trailer. As for the history part this is where it gets interesting. It seems that this car was in a museum until 1987 when the car was purchased by the owner I bought the car from. I will be contacting the museum tomorrow to see if this is true. I was also told that the orignal owner of the car was Gene Autry. This is something I am going to have to research and see if it is true. I have been told that his daughter may live right here in Palm Springs. I think it would be really cool if this all pans out. Ok Ok here are some pics of us loading the car on the trailer

Jonas McFeely
07-29-07, 11:43 PM
You are one of the coolest people ever. Wow. I cant wait to see this thing reborn.

CaddyshackCadillac
07-30-07, 12:21 AM
seriously that thing restored with that possible history would be one hell of a car show vehicle ......wow

CaddymanTom
07-30-07, 02:57 PM
I called the museum and have faxed them a copy of the vin # and title. The guy I talked to said he recalled them having one but couldnt remember much about it. He is going to search the records and see what he finds out.
What I don't understand is why someone would purchase a car like this and let it get in the condition it is in now:hmm:.
As for the restoration, it is going to cost some bucks. However, I know that it will be worth it. I need to find out more on the history. I will bring it back to its original states. The only thing I might change are the wheel covers. I will probably go with the turbines with color keyed centers. I am not a big fan of the wires on this model. Next weekend I will dig into the car more and see what I find out. Thanks for all the support

bicentennialcadillac
07-30-07, 05:43 PM
Someone is selling a 1976 example in the Self-Starter this month, 60k, apparently immaculate, $29,500. The ad states that 50 were built, FWIW.

Night Wolf
07-30-07, 06:07 PM
Man, that is awesome! Congrats again :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-30-07, 08:07 PM
Coolness!

Wheelman322
07-31-07, 02:20 PM
Someone is selling a 1976 example in the Self-Starter this month, 60k, apparently immaculate, $29,500. The ad states that 50 were built, FWIW.

Yeah...That was one of the reasons I posted this up. I saw one on E bay about 8 months ago bring $32,000. It was a 79 Wagon, but as rare as these are I couldn't see it get parted out or go to the crusher.

ShokleyMobile1972
09-21-07, 01:35 AM
Great. I had no idea they made those. Congratulations!

BigPoppaD
09-21-07, 10:46 AM
That is freakin awesome. It's that dream find you hear about on ebay "here's a 500 engine" but they don't think it's important enough to mention it's attached to a Cadillac wagon!!!! Good luck!

CaddyshackCadillac
05-27-09, 11:02 PM
caddyman tom update us here will yea

75sled
05-28-09, 09:35 AM
Yeah, show us the progress.

CaddymanTom
05-29-09, 01:01 AM
Well hello all. It seems I have gotten some requests for an update on the 1976 Castillion wagon that I purchased a while ago. Before i get into that i just wanted to say that after my last post on this some one sent me a private asking how i could be such a show off. I just thought it was a very cool car and wanted to share it with the many cool people that I have met on here that share the same interest on these wonderful automobiles.
OK now with that being said, here is the latest scoop on the car. I still have the car. I finally got it running after cleaning out the fuel lines and carb. The gas tank has been taken out and needs to be cleaned out which is in progress. The car in now at a restoration shop where it has been for the past 6 months. I decided that is was such a rare car that is deserved a frame off restoration. Right now the body is off the chassis and it is being brought back to its original state. Its pretty cool that the same shop doing my wagon is also doing a Tucker. It is parked right next to the frame of my car. I will get some pics posted soon.

Thanks for askin

brougham_geezer
05-29-09, 01:43 AM
Showing off?! Poppycock I say! That's a big part of the fun of these forums, and who better to SHARE the joy of your Cadillac with than us? Besides, you have not been a boaster in this thread anyway. It's been a solid, interesting tale thus far.

This car of yours is a great find and I would like to be able to speak for everyone on this board and declare that I'm happy it's going to someone who understands its true value and historical worth! I'd love to hear more about the whole situation and see as many pictures as your able to throw at me.

It's a shame that someone had to turn you off of sharing your beauty of a vehicle with us. If they weren't happy with this thread, they should have just browsed elsewhere and kept it to themselves. Flaming is pointless and a waste of time. Keep the info coming.

I love this story! It has the thrill of the hunt, the fantastic discovery and an exciting project/restoration aspect as well. Wonderful find, and noble of you to save it for people to see, and for future generations of Cadillac lovers. The more examples of these oldies that survive the better, as GM and all of Detroit continue to slide further away from their rich and interesting roots. If we don't preserve these wonderful old cars around, our kids will wonder if there were ever any good American cars!

Warren_R
05-29-09, 08:18 AM
Glad to read & see the results of your discovery! If you undertook most of the body work yourself, I wouldn't expect the restoration to be that expensive. Time consuming yes, but what I'm seeing tells me it would be time well spent :)
Is there a way (in enviro-nut operated Calif., even) to apply new chrome finishing at home? This is looking to be one very interesting thread!

robb257731
06-03-09, 12:33 AM
Well hello all. It seems I have gotten some requests for an update on the 1976 Castillion wagon that I purchased a while ago. Before i get into that i just wanted to say that after my last post on this some one sent me a private asking how i could be such a show off. I just thought it was a very cool car and wanted to share it with the many cool people that I have met on here that share the same interest on these wonderful automobiles.

Tell whoever flamed you to get bent. You've found an awesome car, and it's an interesting thread. There's nothing in your posts that make you sound like you're boasting or showing off...you're just excited about your car, as are most of us! I've never seen a Cadillac wagon, aside from a hearse, and it's really cool to see one!

csbuckn
06-03-09, 01:20 AM
It does kinda erk me that someone would send you a PM like that but whatever, I woulda sent them 10 pics of the car in a reply. Did you hear anything about the history of the car?

CaddymanTom
06-03-09, 05:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the support. I plan on trying to get to the bodyshop this week some time to snap some pictures. I will tell you that its not a pretty sight right now but it will be when completed.

As for the history of the car it seems to be once owned by Mr. Gene Autry says the museum where it was once stored, however they cant seem to locate any documentation on it. I will try to get some but it really doesnt matter much to me right now. I do know that the previous owner to me left the car as colateral for a loan at the pawn shop for a $100.00 loan!

What is really interesting is the amount of fiberglass filler that the car has on it. Especially the rear of it . Lots of trim was used to cover the welds that connect the back station wagon part of the car. What is cool is that my body guy is using metal and will smooth out the welds. This will give a much better fit and finish.

I wil keep you posted

Thanks again
Caddymantom

HartfordGuy
09-01-10, 05:55 PM
Hi Tom. Any news for us? pics?

csbuckn
09-01-10, 07:04 PM
Oh yea...I remember. Hope there's some picks

Stingroo
09-01-10, 07:25 PM
Holy crap why did I never see this thread?!

Cadillacs AND wagons? As one? :cloud9:

jayoldschool
09-01-10, 09:27 PM
Sting, google images: cadillac station wagon

Your head will explode.

sven914
09-01-10, 09:52 PM
Just for Sting...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2325238392_36019779ec.jpg

Stingroo
09-01-10, 09:55 PM
:drool: I want it. Not one like it, not one of the same model. I. Want. It.

Sven why must you torment me so? :(

HartfordGuy
09-02-10, 06:46 AM
Take a look thru my Flickr Cadillac Wagon pages. Lots of custom wagons. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1158735@N25/pool/

jsherid1
09-02-10, 08:58 AM
Great, now I want a 1975-6 Fleetwood Wagon (with the Custom Cruiser type rear section). How do you hide a 20 foot long, 5000+ pound car from your wife.....?

GeneLaw1
09-02-10, 10:45 AM
Well hello all. It seems I have gotten some requests for an update on the 1976 Castillion wagon that I purchased a while ago. Before i get into that i just wanted to say that after my last post on this some one sent me a private asking how i could be such a show off.

I hate to reply to a post that happened months ago, but I just got a chance to read it yesterday and it truly irked me...I mean really WHAT THE HELL!? I am sure you have worked hard in life and on your cars to be able to get what you want, and I think you have earned it, in addition this is the CADILLAC FORUM. We are all here because we either own, or totally in love with the classic Cadillac. A place where we can get away from the real world and discuss our vehicles with like-minded people. Thats exactly what irks me, if we cant discuss it here, then WHERE? No one else here in my "circle" would ever listen to me, they would actually say I am a showoff, or "car crazy"...I would suggest this person move to another forum, because I cant see anyone who would tell you that liking the classic Cadillac. I guess this person would like to put an end to car clubs, car shows, cruises, etc too?? Not sure about the others, but I had never seen a 70s wagon (saw an 80s one though) and I was on the edge of my seat anxious for your every update, lol. I mean really, if you are truly "showing off" then technically we all are or have at one point in time in our forum careers. Alright, my vent and rant is done again sorry for rehashing an old post here...

Gene

jayoldschool
09-02-10, 06:02 PM
Imagine what that person would think of my project thread? :D

Stingroo
09-02-10, 07:49 PM
Oh my god. So many of those are SO COOL.

The '64 and '60 are my favorites so far. That whole album is like an eyegasm.

GeneLaw1
09-02-10, 07:51 PM
Ironically Jay when I was writing that, I was definitely thinking about your project threads, lol...actually, there should be a picture of your forum next to the word "show-off" ha!