: Auto changing radio station on STS? :-)

dhemrick
07-26-07, 04:13 PM
Interesting news article about a radio station in Des Moines, IA that was sending out faulty radio data signals. The faulty signals cause the radio presets for certain stations to change automatically. It affected some newer GM and Chrysler products.

The car they use as their example happens to be a 2005-2007 STS.

Click here http://www.wxii12.com/technology/13762279/detail.html to read and view the video.

Interesting, huh? :) Has anyone experienced this?

I'd be curious to know what is in that signal that can cause this. Sounds like a software bug to me that could be exploited to change people's radio stations at will.

Jesda
07-28-07, 09:04 AM
Hah! Weird. I wonder why the software would ever allow an RDS signal to change the station? Emergency alerts?

dkozloski
07-28-07, 04:12 PM
Hah! Weird. I wonder why the software would ever allow an RDS signal to change the station? Emergency alerts?
It's a filthy crumbionist plot executed by evil doers.

Cajonkev
07-28-07, 04:35 PM

I would speculate that it is code or activation associated with the "traffic alert" feature.

That was designed into RDS to switch your radio over to any station broadcasting traffic alerts and is user optioned within set-up on most/all hardware.

Especially weird if intentional or not they found/executed a software hook that bypasses the hardware setting.

z06bigbird
07-28-07, 06:30 PM
I am really ticked off that you mentioned it. Now I need to stay about 2000 miles from Iowa and I might not be able to sleep for the next couple of years.

You sure know how to cut a man's legs off. You have ruined my whole life, man!!

Skibanker
07-28-07, 06:41 PM
For about a week, several months ago, my radio would roll up to random stations. Sometimes it would only go from 71 to 72. Other times, it would roll up 75 stations before it would stop. It stopped doing it as suddenly as it started. (Yes, 71 is Watercolors, Smooth Jazz. No grief, please.)