: Engine coolant leak - coolant smell through vents on start up

kwaobus
07-26-07, 02:12 PM
I am a new member (1978 Coupe Deville, 8700 original miles) and need some help with coolant loss. After running the car there is a leak of coolant from the same place the A/C condensation is dripping from. Also, on engine start-up it sometime smells like coolant from the vents. Is my heater core leaking (no coolant in the footwell though) or what could this be? Your help is appreaciated. Also, anyone know a good Cadillac speciailst in South Florida?

The Ape Man
07-26-07, 06:01 PM
Sure sounds like a bad heater core. You might also see fog on the inside of the car's glass where once there was none.

jayoldschool
07-26-07, 08:25 PM
Yep, just a bad heater core. Not a bad job to do. About two hours for a competent mechanic (book time is likely 4, though). Do you drive the car when it is cold? If not, you can just bypass it...

kwaobus
07-26-07, 10:57 PM
don't really need the heat as I live in Miami so I could bypass the heater core, however, I am trying to get this car to the way it looked/and worked when it was brand new... car is in the shop as we speak, mechanic confimred that it looks like a leaking heater core, proably too difficult of a job for me to handle myself, and yes, 4 hours quoted. Definitely also had the white film on windshield. Will tro to post pictures now. Thanks for the advice/

jayoldschool
07-26-07, 11:10 PM
If you get a copper "U" bend from Home Depot in the right diameter to fit in the hoses, you can bypass it at the core, so the heater hoses are still in place. This way, the car will look stock unless you look really close.

Highway Star
07-27-07, 12:09 AM
Itza real nice Caddy (saw the pics), don't scrimp. Does it have the original radiator too?

kwaobus
07-27-07, 12:12 AM
Everythign on the car is original except the tires and the battery.

The Ape Man
07-27-07, 07:01 AM
The air conditioning system on this car uses the heater. Bypassing the heater core should only be done on beaters.

jayoldschool
07-27-07, 09:32 AM
The air conditioning system on this car uses the heater. Bypassing the heater core should only be done on beaters.

I agree! My advice was only to keep the smell out until he gets it fixed...