: Oil Change Life Indicator

jjb
07-26-07, 12:20 AM
Has anyone changed their oil before the indicator says? I have 8900km on my '07, it is 8 months old and the oil life indicator says that the oil has 53% life left. I know it is running synthetic, but can oil really stay in an engine for over a year (projected) and maintain proper lubrication?

faderrific
07-26-07, 12:44 AM
I never rely on the computer since I doubt it can factor in all the different kinds of driving conditions out there. Especially if you live in Southern California and practically live in a parking lot AKA the 405/101. I always change my oil at 3k, regardless of if they say you can change it at 5k.

I would check your dipstick and if you can't see through it, change it. That's just imho though.

ckrichards
07-26-07, 08:07 AM
Manual indicates you should change your oil after one year regardless of the engine oil monitor.

louisn
07-26-07, 08:35 AM
Has anyone changed their oil before the indicator says? I have 8900km on my '07, it is 8 months old and the oil life indicator says that the oil has 53% life left. I know it is running synthetic, but can oil really stay in an engine for over a year (projected) and maintain proper lubrication?
Everything I've read by experts say change it when the oil life monitor indicates. The manual does say 1 year is the limit. I have changed mine earlier as I have free oil changes--and I was there at the dealer for warranty work anyway. But it wasn't really necessary-especially with 8 quarts of Mobil 1 required.

jjb
07-26-07, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will change it now.

donjumpsuit
07-26-07, 09:59 AM
I have always changed it every 10k. They build cars now that never need and oil change, or spark plugs until 100,000 miles. I am sure on synthetic, the engine will last until 10k between changes, mine hasn't seized yet.

The difference between synthetic oil and petroleum oil is marked. There is a good reason petroleum oil needs to be changed at 3k and it dramatically different than synthetic.

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles/mineral-petrolium-oil-compared-to-synthetic/

dbknight
07-26-07, 10:08 PM
My monitor is down tp 15% at 18,000 (taking it in for it's 2nd change Tuesday) -- does the monitor ever tell you to change it? I would think that I would have gotten a "Change Oil Soon" message by now.

dkozloski
07-26-07, 10:31 PM
The Factory Service Manual states the OLM can go to zero and then you have two fuel fillups to get the oil changed. There is also a one year time limit. The OLM was developed by an award winning GM team led by Dr. Shirley Schwartz who is regarded as being the top lubrication engineer in the world. Over ten years time went into the research and developement of this system. Strangely enough the main object was to see how long the oil could be used without detriment to the engine in order to reduce the consumption of petroleum in the world. This system is the real deal. Anybody who sounds off about the use of the system being unwise is displaying an abysmal ignorance of science. Do a Google search on GM oil life monitor and Dr. Shirley Schwartz to see what her peers think of her work.

sgilbert
07-26-07, 10:47 PM
Other than the 1st change, which I changed at 3k, I trust the OLM implicitly and change @ around 10%.

cfishkin
07-27-07, 12:47 AM
That's exactly what I did. This time it went down to 5%, turned out to be about 10,000 miles.

AJxtcman
07-27-07, 06:13 AM
Please change it to day. I hope it is not 8900 miles or 8900 km on you first oil change. The first oil change may have break in debris in it. Check your dip stick EVERY FILL UP!!!!!!

onewhippedpuppy
07-27-07, 09:36 AM
All I know is nobody ever damaged their engine by changing the oil and filter too often. I'll go 5,000 with synthetic, but no more. To me, it seems like cheap insurance. Extended oil change intervals help sell cars, but can do more harm than good. Look at the recent sludging issues companies like Toyota, Saab, and Audi have had due to extended oil change intervals.

Not saying that those who follow the monitor are wrong, I just can't make myself go that long.

donjumpsuit
07-27-07, 10:03 AM
Literally dkolzolski and I are trying to explain to those who still change their oil at 3-5k miles are absolutely wasting their money, wasting the environment, and wasting your brainpower with your antiquated concepts.

After the first oil change (at about 20-500 miles to clean manufacturing debris), it is absolutely unnecessary in the modern engine, running synthetic oil, to change it sooner than near 10k.

Unless you live in dustbowl USA, in saudi arabia, or towing a fishingboat everyday for the rest of your life, its a matter of science.

SCIENCE.

Remember that from 4th grade? I am not trying to be facetious here, I wish everyone the best. However, I am a Molecular Biologist, and understand the molecular composition of both petroleum and synthetic oils. I tried to provide a link, but I assume its too much reading, so in the short.

Petroleum oils have weaker molecular bonds, and impurities that tend to breakdown with heat and pressure. This is why oil looks blond out of the bottle and black when it is drained from your engine. The combination of these factors leads oil to be less slick over time, and not efficient at ENCAPSULATING foreign bodies and dirt, essentially protecting friction parts.

That being said synthetics are like night and day. They have a stronger molecular bonds, so strong in fact that this oil is TOO SLICK to break in new engines. New engines need conventional oil to provide adequate friction to "hone" the rings to the cylinder heads to prevent blow around of the combustion gases into the oil. Synthetics barely break-down, making thier useful life almost FOREVER. The only reason it is changed, is due to build up of impurities (dust and metal), slight acidification from combustion gases.

NOT from complete molecular breakdown like petroleum oil.

You don't scoop $hit out of a toilet after you poop, you press the lever and through the magic of technology, it sweeps the poop away.

Quit being so stubborn about old rules dependent on old technology and realize that engineers know what they are doing, much the same as you know what your doing with your profession.

If you need a solution for wasting money, let me know, i will send you my address.

sgilbert
07-27-07, 10:40 AM
Don't hold back, Don.

dkozloski
07-27-07, 01:58 PM
Give it up Don! These guys still think the worlds flat and there's no talking them out of it.

john d
07-27-07, 02:02 PM
Don - Thanks for taking the time to write the explanation.
I learned and appreciated!

faderrific
07-27-07, 03:54 PM
These guys still think the worlds flat.

What are you trying to say????:confused:

dkozloski
07-27-07, 04:39 PM
What are you trying to say????:confused:
The advocates of early oil changes ignore science just like the flat-earth guys.

DVC-Don
07-27-07, 07:26 PM
I take it in for the oil change when it says 10%. It works out to about every 9 - 10 months for me. I do the same with Da Hummer.

bobcnj
07-31-07, 08:38 AM
I am just getting ready to change my oil on my 04 SRX. Has anyone used any other type of Synthetic oil besides Mobil 1 and if so what kind?

z06bigbird
07-31-07, 09:04 AM
Reg oil at 3,000 miles.

Synthetic at 5,000 ish.

Cheap insurance for a $40,000 piece of equipment. You can always used old oil to get rid of weeds at edge of fence and to pour (1 oz) in small pools of water where mosquitos accumulate. That is what my big friends tell me.