: Best tires for my 94 fleetwood???

cadydaddy
07-25-07, 06:10 PM
My current tires, continentials I belive, are going to need replacing soon.

I don't really care about good corner carving and all that, the most important thing to me is quietness and ride quality. wear would be good to.

I like the little white wall too.

So what tires are smoothest riding guys???

Thanks.

On a side note, My car has a receiver hitch installed, was there when I got it, how do I tell if its a 2" hitch, because I want to get one of those dirtbike hauler things that connect to the hitch.

THANKS.

cadydaddy
07-25-07, 07:50 PM
Well I mesured the INSIDE of the reciever hitch and it is only 1 1/4"

All the motorcycle carriers I have seen are 2"

This is not good news.

Is the inside mesurment how you figure hitch size?

caddycruiser
07-25-07, 08:27 PM
As for the hitch, yes, that's how you measure it:

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-size.aspx

It's essentially just a lower class, lighter duty variety, chosen by whoever put it on. You can still, of course, get a number of new ones made to fit that are stronger and 2".

----

As for the tires, one of the most commonly used and popular choices in stock form is the Kumho Touring A/S 795, but it doesn't look to be in production any longer. We put a set on our '93 Fleetwood, and with the 70k mileage rating, the high ratings across the board, the obvious quality, and the price, they were unbeatable. It was also a whitewall, which was of course, important.

But if you can't find a local shop (maybe?) that might still be able to get them, as they were still being sold not long ago, the other VERY common choice is the Yokohama Avid Touring (a whitewall):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+Touring&partnum=37SR5TOURW&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=9&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=S

The other new Kumho choice (my favorite brand, and just makes some of the best tires out there) now sells the Solus KR21 in the Fleetwood's stock size, but it doesn't come in a whitewall with that one.

Other choices, down the line, with whitewalls include Dunlop and at least a couple of others. Then, of course, if the whitewall isn't hugely important, there's a lot more stock size blackwalls available because the size is still common on smaller trucks.

Based on what you've said...I'd say 1) see if you can find the excellent Kumho Touring 795 A/S anywhere, and if not 2) get the Yokohama Avid Touring's or the other model they sell (both are whitewall, and come in the right size). They're essentially the only two stock size whitewalls I'd recommend.

cadydaddy
07-25-07, 10:03 PM
Thanks cadycruiser.

What about Michalin, everyone seems to rave about them? how will they compare to the ones you mentioned?

Also, the link you gave shows a blackwall tire, did not see a whitewall option, but it did score high in ride quality and low noise.

96Fleetwood
07-26-07, 08:24 AM
Thanks cadycruiser.

What about Michalin, everyone seems to rave about them? how will they compare to the ones you mentioned?

Also, the link you gave shows a blackwall tire, did not see a whitewall option, but it did score high in ride quality and low noise.

Michelin no longer makes a white wall tire in 235/70/15. My brother bought the Michelins for his Roadmaster, but they are blackwall and just dont look quite right even though they ride amazing!

Firestone makes a nice white wall tire in 235/70/15 for under $60.00/each.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-26-07, 12:41 PM
When I got my deVille, it had the Michelins that were factory spec (I surely hope they weren't original...) Anyways, I thought they rode too loud for a Cadillac.

cadydaddy
07-26-07, 03:09 PM
Well if the yokohoma ones cadycruiser posted come in whitewall, Id get those, as they rated very good for ride quality and noise.

caddycruiser
07-26-07, 10:34 PM
Well if the yokohoma ones cadycruiser posted come in whitewall, Id get those, as they rated very good for ride quality and noise.

They DO, which is why I said it many times.

Look right on this page, at the top for the 235-70-15 size, and you'll see that's one that comes as "White Stripe .6-1.0":

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVID+Touring&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=37SR5TOURW

Night Wolf
07-27-07, 08:54 AM
If you want one of the absolute best tires in terms of ride, comfort and noise, with outstanding tread wear, but willing to give up a it in the handling department...

Goodyear Assurance Comfortread! They also come in pencil line white wall.

The warantee is 80k miles/780 tread wear. They has an outstanding ride and no noise at all.

I had them on my Coupe 5 weeks before it was stolen, and now they are on my Town Car.

I like em alot, and would reccomend them to anyone looking for the best riding tire that has no noise at all with a very good tread wear.

z06bigbird
07-27-07, 10:53 AM
Walmart and Sams have been selling Michelin Symmetry tires for years. Thin white wall. About $105 each. If you can find them, the 75 series will fit, and they might be a few dollars less than the 70 series.

You can also try Discount Tire and Tire Rack. Great companies, honest, etc. I believe they arrange for installation.

96Fleetwood
07-27-07, 11:16 AM
The 75 series is taller and skinnier, will throw the speedo off and look thin.

Cadillacboy
07-27-07, 02:07 PM
As I recall, 75 tires are mainly made for off road driving as well

cadydaddy
07-27-07, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys, There is a discount tire very close to home, I will check it out.

Night Wolf
07-27-07, 10:19 PM
They were on my Lincoln when I got it... hated them things.

When one of them shreded the sidewall on the highway, I proceeded to get the Goodyear Assurance.

They weren't as quiet as the COmfortreds nor did they ride as nice.

I got the Assurance Comfortreds for $95 each, Sears matched Tire Kingdoms price cause they were out of stock.... $550 for 4 tires with the road hazzard program out the door. Town Car takes 225/60/16

cadydaddy
07-27-07, 10:31 PM
They were on my Lincoln when I got it... hated them things.

When one of them shreded the sidewall on the highway, I proceeded to get the Goodyear Assurance.

They weren't as quiet as the COmfortreds nor did they ride as nice.

I got the Assurance Comfortreds for $95 each, Sears matched Tire Kingdoms price cause they were out of stock.... $550 for 4 tires with the road hazzard program out the door. Town Car takes 225/60/16

Which tires did you have on the tc when you got it? the ones that shredded?

Im going to look at the comfort treads to.

cadydaddy
07-27-07, 10:42 PM
WOW, the goodyear comfortread IS actually rated better for ride ans noise.

The yoko got 8.6 and 8.7 and the comfortread got 8.9 and 8.9.

DANGIT, the comfortreads do not come in 235/70/15. WEAK.

Night Wolf
07-28-07, 03:08 AM
Yeah, the Town Car had the Symmetrys that shreded.

To be fair, the tires had dry rot cracks on them, and around the side wall, which is where it blew out... I was actually going to get new ones, but the guy said I've got another year of driving worth (which they did) so I figured I would take it easy and get my use out of them while saving for new tires.

Well, that never happened, and I ended up getting the Comfortreds soon after anyway.

They are an awesome tire... you will loose some handling, as the tires have a very soft sidewall, which gives it an amazing ride... I lost handling on the Coupe (more aparent on that car) and I lost handling on my Town Car....

My Town Car has the Ride Control Package (the package that makes Town Cars handle like Mustangs, while still maintaining a smooth ride) so I thought it would be cool to retain some of the handling benifits... I was looking at the Goodyear Assurance Tripletred.... You give up a little on comfort and noise to gain a whole lot of handling... but, they were not offered in white wall, at all... so I passed on that.

The Comfortreds do handle tho, they have amazing grip in the rain and dry pavement, you gotta get used to it, throwing the car into a turn, you can feel the sidewall flex a bit, but once it does, thats it, and it stays planted... get used to it a couple times and its very predictable. Like I said, I simply wanted the best riding and quietest tire I could have got, without spending a billlion dollars... and I got it.

In comparison my Fleetwood has Good Year Viva2's..... Wal Mart special, they have alot of life left, but you can tell they are a cheaper tire... ride quality isn't as good and going over some bumps and types of road, there is more road noise.... I know they are 2 different cars, but I am used to the tires and its somewhat easy to pick up on ride/noise that the car produces or the tires produce.

My parents got the same Viva2's on their new to them '98 Buick Park Ave... the same flaws I noticed on my Fleetwood, I noticed on their car too.... a decent tire if you want a bargin tire... but thats about it.... tires are something I spend the extra money on, because you really get what you pay for... heck, I am strongly contiplating on spending almost twice as much on a premium set of tires for my Isuzu, over a cheaper set... cause my truck needs new tires now too.

cadydaddy
07-28-07, 01:20 PM
To bad comfortreads do not seem to come in my size, 235/70/15.

N0DIH
08-04-07, 09:41 PM
Well, tires are ready to be replaced, again....

I am thinking of these, keeping the stock size to keep it looking nice. The Kuhmo Solus KR21 whitewall P235 70 15 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Solus+KR21&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=37TR5KR21&fromCompare1=yes&place=9&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=S).

Has anyone used them? Any thoughts? They are 85000 mile warranty, much better than the old ones I had with a 40000 mile warranty which I have worn out in the last 9 months....

caddycruiser
08-05-07, 08:50 PM
Well, tires are ready to be replaced, again....

I am thinking of these, keeping the stock size to keep it looking nice. The Kuhmo Solus KR21 whitewall P235 70 15 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Solus+KR21&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=37TR5KR21&fromCompare1=yes&place=9&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=S).

Has anyone used them? Any thoughts? They are 85000 mile warranty, much better than the old ones I had with a 40000 mile warranty which I have worn out in the last 9 months....

I thought you had the Kumho Touring 795 A/S's? Those had a 70k warranty, and tend to wear like iron...unless I'm just mistaken by what you have.

Still love those Kumho's on ours, even if it isn't driven much, and would heartily recommend the Solus's and any other model just based on my experiences.

EXCEPT, take note, those Solus's only come in a blackwall for the 235-70 size. The whitewall is now the (2) 235-75's only.

ShadowLvr400
08-05-07, 09:05 PM
I guess the Pirelli Scorpions I used to run would be a bit much eh? I ran 255/60/15 white letter tires. Handled well and rode pretty nice too. But I drive very aggressive.

96Fleetwood
08-05-07, 10:03 PM
I just put 255/60/15 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on my '93 Caprice wagon. They are sweet tires and are even V rated :thumbsup:

N0DIH
08-05-07, 11:06 PM
I'll check into them, but with the miles I drive, cost is some issue too. But I REALLY want larger than stock, but without a price that would break the bank....

I forgot about Pirelli's... My dad put them on his 79 Rabbit back in the day and they did very good, we really liked them. Went from P155's to P175's too....

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 05:30 AM
I forgot about Pirelli's...

The Pirelli Scorpion Zeros that I put on the wagon are actually a sport truck tire... but it works! :)

N0DIH
08-06-07, 07:31 AM
I guess I always worried about the heavier weight of an SUV/Truck tire compared to the car tire making the car handle weird. The stock tires are in the 24-27 lb range, with rim, around 43 lbs. Adding weight really changes how the car rides/handles.

I like the Goodyear (this is the ONLY tire! I am not a Goodyear tire fan) Forterra Triple Armor (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+TripleTred&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=37TR5FORTTT&fromCompare1=yes&place=3&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=S). It is a winter classed tire too. I like the angle sipes in the tire for high speed rain use. Typically Goodyear has crappy soft sidewalls making a poor tire. Being an SUV tire this one isn't too bad. I like snappy responsive tires with stiff sidewalls. Soft sidewalls make for a lazy tire. I also shoot for large wide rain grooves so water won't get trapped under tire, and also side sipes that are open to the outside so the water can escape to the sides, not be forced forward, which will eventually hydroplane you as the water keeps building up.

I just looked at Pirelli's website, they have no 15 in tires listed under the PZero now. Crap....

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 06:58 PM
I just looked at Pirelli's website, they have no 15 in tires listed under the PZero now. Crap....

Yeah, the tire shop I got them from said they were the last set in 255/60..

As for weight, these cars are already tremendously heavy, I wouldn't worry about it.

N0DIH
08-06-07, 07:05 PM
You would be surprised how much lighter tires helps the overall handling and ride of the car. Something not to be taken too lightly....

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 07:15 PM
You would be surprised how much lighter tires helps the overall handling and ride of the car. Something not to be taken too lightly....

I could see that being the case on a race car or weekend track car, but not on a daily driver Fleetwood. Plus our cars even share some parts with the 1500 series trucks.. so why not ;).

BTW, we missed you at HERDfest on Sunday. There was a Gold Fleetwood with Impala SS wheels that showed up, I thought it was you.. but it wasn't...

ShadowLvr400
08-06-07, 08:00 PM
255/65/15 Pirelli Scorpion Zero, $99 a tire at Tirerack, in stock.

pops97deville
08-06-07, 08:33 PM
there is only one TYRE for lac's and it has a whitewall and yellow pinstripe outside it

theGman
08-07-07, 05:42 PM
I got a set of the Yokos on my '95 about 2 months ago.....they are fine. I was really surprised as to how few companies make whitewalls any more!

N0DIH
08-07-07, 05:46 PM
I was wondering about them, a friend of mine is very sold on Yoko. Been wondering if the cost is worth it.

I like the idea that the Kuhmo's are now 85K warranty, they were only like 40K. I need that big time.... 40K gets me less than a year....