: Updated Nav Disk

Kris
07-25-07, 05:25 PM
I have a 2005 STS has anyone updated their nav disk since the orginal one? I wanted to know if it was worth doing it since they want $200.00 for the disk.

Thank you...

bigdog9586
07-25-07, 06:39 PM
I don't know about what is on yours but I have an 07 which has the latest and greatest and got a free upgrade for the next two editions so I'm thinking it should be worth about $50 or so when I get my next one which should be sometime this fall. State tuned.

MARKVIII
07-25-07, 07:37 PM
lets face it. what can an updated navigation dvd have that you really really need. a few new address's and points of interest. chances are you will never know what your missing. i wouldn't spend the money on it. the dam navigation unit is so complicated i don't much use it anyway.

Cajonkev
07-25-07, 08:21 PM
I had the original 05 disc with my first STS and have now had the 06 disc and my first update which I rcvd last month so three in total to compare.

I haven't found any new info on mine as yet which includes the two new freeway on/off ramps and the blvd completion that have all occurred in the last 12-18 months. I put 35k a year on mine and use the nav all the time.

YMMV of course but I would look into getting a used one from a 06 driver who has rcvd their first update. Lower cost and you will not be that far behind...

dkozloski
07-25-07, 08:38 PM
Ebay always has a selection of discs.

Onalaska
07-25-07, 10:11 PM
Don't waste your money. I have a 2005 and purchased a new disk this year and it actually looks like they have removed data. Most of the roads in my subdivision no longer have names regardless of the scale. I think they must have a space problem on the DVD and actually remove data to make room for data in another place. Also they still do not have a regularly traveled paved road that was built over 10 years ago on either disk. I'll bet the updates are primarily POI updates so if a new fast food restaurant is built and you use the POI feature you may benifit from the update, but I have not checked that on mine as I rarely use the POI function.

VA Maddog
07-25-07, 10:29 PM
Is there an easy way to find out if the original owner ever used either of their two "free" updates? I just purchsed my STS after it was turned back in from a two year lease program.

dkozloski
07-25-07, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the free updates started with the '06 models. '05s are SOL.

golfguy
07-26-07, 07:21 AM
Is there an easy way to find out if the original owner ever used either of their two "free" updates? I just purchsed my STS after it was turned back in from a two year lease program.

If you bought it Certified, you may get a new disc as part of the deal.

The guy down the bought a Certified Escalade and got a new disc in the mail about a month after the purchase

Cajonkev
07-26-07, 04:27 PM
As stated 06 and beyond only for the STS.

Besides that just call the GM Navdisc center (877-NAV-DISC 877-628-3472) and give them your VIN. They can tell you if you are elegible and what has been used so far.