: Replacing various parts

Counselor
07-25-07, 09:16 AM
Wondering: I have had many cadillacs and drove them well over 250,000 miles. Still have 89 4.5 with 204,000 miles and never have replaced anything except smog pump and blower motor. Everything is original. Got 96 STS and replaced battery, taped up blower motor casing (cracked),:thepan::thepan: front wheel bearings, bushings in front end, EGR valve, Water pump and heater core. Must have been made in mexico with that 1.00 an hour help with no quality control. Anyone else having to replace parts sooner then later?

clarkz71
07-25-07, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you got lucky with the 89.

Sounds like normal wear & tear on the 96.

For what it's worth, I've had great luck with my 95, just replaced the shift solenoids,
a known problem with 93-95 4T80E's
which had been updated in the 96 model year.
Otherwise just about everything on my 95 would be original
Of course it only has 70,000 miles on it. But it's still 12 years old.

The cracked blower HVAC housing is common in most Seville and Eldorado's
of the era.

How many miles on that STS?

codewize
07-25-07, 01:20 PM
Maybe I got lucky too with my untouched 89 4.5? Basically I don't care what anyone says about the late 80's cars. The 4.5 drive-train is bulletproof. I have 225k on mine and it runs like new. It does need an intake gasket but the car is in great shape and is in need of only minor TLC.

clarkz71
07-25-07, 01:23 PM
So you have the original battery, water pump, etc. That's what he's complaining about on his 96.
I find it hard to believe an 89
anything doesn't need maintenance/wear & tear items.

Code, did I touch a nerve?? LOL

jadcock
07-25-07, 03:32 PM
Our '97 served us very well. Only real "major" items were alternator, battery (wear item), water pump, etc. I did have to have the A/C rebuilt once. The car has 160,000 miles on it now. My brother drives it everyday. Most everything on that car is original, and it runs like a top. Originally tranny fluid, original struts and air shocks, no codes, etc. It's what drove me, so to speak, to another Cadillac (our '01 STS), which we also LOVE.

codewize
07-25-07, 04:44 PM
LOL no it's fine. I was just jumpy. NO the battery has been replaced and there was some work done on accessories but most of those failures were caused but a stupid mechanic that broke the belt tensioner subsequently breaking other stuff.

So if he hadn't mess up the belt tensioner I'm feeling like none of those other parts would have needed replacing.

So you have the original battery, water pump, etc. That's what he's complaining about on his 96.
I find it hard to believe an 89
anything doesn't need maintenance/wear & tear items.

Code, did I touch a nerve?? LOL

clarkz71
07-25-07, 04:46 PM
OK, cool. :thumbsup:

Counselor
07-25-07, 10:20 PM
The 96 sts has 102,000 on it. I did replace battery in 89 bought the finest mexican made battery that one can find at walmart but everything else on the 89 is original. That means water pump, alternator, starter, transmission, front end, rear end and everything else.......ah wait a minute oh I did put some tires on it and brakes so they are not original.

Counselor
07-25-07, 10:30 PM
By the way with as many cadillacs that I have owned most of the parasitic parts lasted much longer than other car makes I have owned. So therefore I'm saying that I have never replaced starters, alternators, water pumps, a.c. compressors, radiators, heater cores,etc on all of them even up to 200,000 miles. It seems premature to me to replace these items on this 96 this early in the game at 102,000.

codewize
07-25-07, 10:39 PM
I agree. I have done the starter and water pump on my 93 Brougham but it's approaching 200k

By the way with as many cadillacs that I have owned most of the parasitic parts lasted much longer than other car makes I have owned. So therefore I'm saying that I have never replaced starters, alternators, water pumps, a.c. compressors, radiators, heater cores,etc on all of them even up to 200,000 miles. It seems premature to me to replace these items on this 96 this early in the game at 102,000.

clarkz71
07-26-07, 06:14 AM

You should play the lottery.

jadcock
07-26-07, 07:18 AM
I agree -- I would say that it's pretty unusual to not have to replace ANY of those parts, especially a water pump. I've never heard of a water pump lasting 200,000+ miles. Starters are pretty robust these days. Even on older vehicles, I've never had a bad starter. The only alternator I had bad was the one that was replaced on my '97 (which was premature I thought). The replacement Delco alternator lasted longer than the original (and is still going). The '97 still has the original radiator and heater core.

Your '96 sounds about average probably. You've had to do some maintenance repairs, but it doesn't sound like anything major has failed (like the engine or transmission). Could be better, could be worse.

Counselor
07-26-07, 09:36 AM
You're probably right jadcock, hopefully the car will settle down. The trans and engine are strong but so was the other cads I had and that is about 7 of them. Always loved Buicks until they dumped the best transmission ever made that is the dynaflo.

blb
07-26-07, 10:57 AM
Wondering: I have had many cadillacs and drove them well over 250,000 miles. Still have 89 4.5 with 204,000 miles and never have replaced anything except smog pump and blower motor. Everything is original. Got 96 STS and replaced battery, taped up blower motor casing (cracked),:thepan::thepan: front wheel bearings, bushings in front end, EGR valve, Water pump and heater core. Must have been made in mexico with that 1.00 an hour help with no quality control. Anyone else having to replace parts sooner then later?

A/C compressor, alternator, water pump, struts and oil leaks will probably be next. After that look forward to headgaskets. Pretty much on par with the Northstar equipped vehicles. Now you're finding why GM has slipped from 60% to less than 25% of market share and the plunge continues.....

jadcock
07-26-07, 11:10 AM
A/C compressor, alternator, water pump, struts and oil leaks will probably be next. After that look forward to headgaskets. Pretty much on par with the Northstar equipped vehicles.

:yawn: You aren't, by any chance, an avid reader of Consumer Reports are you? :stirpot:

blb
07-26-07, 11:28 AM
So therefore I'm saying that I have never replaced starters, alternators, water pumps, a.c. compressors, radiators, heater cores,etc on all of them even up to 200,000 miles. It seems premature to me to replace these items on this 96 this early in the game at 102,000.

jadcock.....I'm just agreeing with Counselor and many of the other posts that you can find in the archives. If your Northstar is trouble free, congratulations, and best of luck with it! However, GM's sales aren't shrinking because of thousands of delighted customers that are enamoured with GM's spectacular quality.

blunted
07-26-07, 02:16 PM
Don't feel bad.. here's PART of my replaced items list/work done. I didn't include things such as wheels,drilled rotors or other upgrades.
FYI: 94 Eldo bought 3.5 years ago with 59K now has 96K.

Engine Components :
- FPR
- Idler Pulley
- Tensioner
- Drive Belt
- Torque Struts
- Spark Plugs
- Plug Wires
- Fuel Filter
- Air Filter
- All 4 ignition coils
- Radiator
- Radiator Hoses
- Waterpump
- Waterpump Housing
- Thermostat
- Water pump drive belt
- Waterpump Tensioner
- Oil Filter Adapter
- Oil Pressure Switch
- Oil Sensor
- EGR Runners & Phenolic Spacer Plates Cleaned
- Optima Yellowtop Battery
- 80MM Throttle Body Purchased/ Soon to be installed
- Custom Exhaust (old one was rusted out)
Transmission:
- A&B Solenoids Replaced

Brakes:
- Both Proportioner Valves
- Front Hoses

Suspension:
- Front Struts
- Rear Struts
- Front Strut Mounts
- Sway bar end links
- Sway bar bushings
- Left Ball Joint
- Left Wheel Bearing
- Rear Stabilizer Links (old one SNAPPED IN HALF)

I started getting codes for my passenger wheel bearing so thats due, and I can tell I need all new motor mounts.