: Retrofit HUD?

golfguy
07-25-07, 08:13 AM
I see that for 2008s HUD doesn’t require the Adaptive Cruise Control option.

HUD is the one option missing from my '05 that I would have liked, but I couldn’t justify paying for ACC just to get HUD. (Mostly city driving)

Is there a GM engineer or mechanic out there that knows whether it could be reto-fitted to a ’05 STS, how difficult, and a ballpark as to cost?

Cajonkev
07-25-07, 03:05 PM
You mean for a new dash, mounting kit, HUD hardware, wiring and possibly a new front windshield (not knowing/assuming whether GM used the same in all as I would think)...

dkozloski
07-25-07, 06:04 PM
There was a time when a lot of new vehicle accessories were dealer installed using GM supplied kits. The industry has evolved to the point that most accessories are so tightly integrated that this is no longer feasible. In fact in most cases it is easier and cheaper to trade for a different car with the desired feature.

Number 3
07-25-07, 06:22 PM
If you figure it out, let us know how it goes! I am sure it can be done, just don't know if it is worth the time and the money. My friend retrofitted a factory navi in his Acura TL.

Skibanker
07-25-07, 06:35 PM
Don't most factories, including GM, install the wiring and mounts for every option on every car so they can be optioned as they go down the line? I had heard that but don't know if it's true. Makes sense to me so that every car doesn't need to be built on specific order from the ground up.
My point is that if this is still true, maybe just the actual gizmo (techie talk) need be installed.

dkozloski
07-25-07, 07:06 PM
Don't most factories, including GM, install the wiring and mounts for every option on every car so they can be optioned as they go down the line? I had heard that but don't know if it's true. Makes sense to me so that every car doesn't need to be built on specific order from the ground up.
My point is that if this is still true, maybe just the actual gizmo (techie talk) need be installed.
Years ago this used to be the case. With modern computer controlled build lists and part assignments there is a minimum of unneeded equipment installed in the cars. On top of that there are required parts for certain accessories that are installed very early in the assembly process that would require tearing the car to pieces to install at a later time. Kneel down and look under the dashboard for confirmation on this point.

golfguy
07-25-07, 09:17 PM
from what I'm hearing, it just got more expensive to install HUD than buying ACC in the first place

I guess I was driving my old car too long. on the old Audi's everything was already there... want a CD player, buy it, plug it in, and it worked with the steering wheel controls, want a phone, buy the cradle and connect it to the pre-existing wiring.

It makes sense that in computer automated assembly plants, you no longer have to prewire for everything.

I guess I'll wait for 2010 and see what the STS/DTS replacement will be. ;)

Cajonkev
07-26-07, 03:32 PM
I think we're all with you but there is a BIG difference between an upgrade to a DIN mount audio system, phone, radar detector etc. versus a major component like the HUD which is built into the forward dash requiring special glass, a dedicated rocker switch and integration with GMLan for the necessary displays from NAV, radio, HVAC etc. etc. etc.

golfguy
07-26-07, 05:20 PM
I think we're all with you but there is a BIG difference between an upgrade to a DIN mount audio system, phone, radar detector etc. versus a major component like the HUD which is built into the forward dash requiring special glass, a dedicated rocker switch and integration with GMLan for the necessary displays from NAV, radio, HVAC etc. etc. etc.

Yep, I get it…

Technology isn’t necessarily “plug and play” there are a lot of component interdependencies making dealer “add-on” options a thing of the past (the high-tech ones anyway)

So like I said, I’ll wait until I’m ready to buy new, and probably buy every option availible whether I think I’ll use it or not ;)

Now what did I do with that carburetor wrench…

I'm sure I saw it here a couple of decades ago…

BMBSALES
07-26-07, 07:51 PM
yeah, i couldn't have my sts, w/o the hud. best option for the everyday driver...even destination directions on it. great.

05lover
12-09-07, 04:06 PM
I'm wondering the same question. Im currently in the process of purchasing a HUD with the complete dash of the car it came from. I will then try to see what up and try some trial and error. I know this for sure there is a control swtich that will need to be purchased ($50) and steering well but thats not sure. If this retro will need to ACC to work then this is completly out of the question because the ACC radar alone from a junk yard is $1500 so ya i would rather sell me car and add to get a car all ready with all the bells and whistles. But dont worry im gone try my best on this one

malatu
12-10-07, 06:51 PM
In my opinion, HUD is over-rated. I have it in my 02 Bonneville SSEi. My inititial excitement in having the HUD was the anticipation in getting it. Once I got it, its novelty and more importantly, its utility wore off very quickly. Now, can't say I ever notice it or even use it. I even ask myself why I wanted it so much. I guess if you are a very spirited driver (I'm not) it may help you keep your eyes on the road, but again, for me the novelty and utility quickly diminished. To be honest, I don't care if I ever own a vehicle again that has it. One thing for sure, I'll never buy an option package for the purpose of getting HUD.

05lover
01-06-08, 02:39 AM
Well I got the HUD unit and I removed my dash pad and soforth on got no luck there is one female plug on the unit but no male to befound. I asked the dealer if there was a special cluster but he said no GM only makes 1. Plus you will have to replace your whole dash pad and foward grill thats between the pad and windshield. That alone will cost you $1900 and good luck with the dash pad it was a big pain. So im out $175 at least I tried.

Cajonkev
01-06-08, 10:02 PM
Well I am sure folks appreciate your trying and reporting back but we did have several threads saying exactly that over the last couple of years...

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Benjamin Simon
01-06-08, 11:25 PM
I think people just like to torture themselves.

tomm
01-07-08, 12:04 AM
I appreciate the effort some folks take to see if something will or will not work. No one ever knows for sure if no one makes the attemp to find out. Heck when I had my CTS many said you could not use the fatory HID's in non HID's models because the wiring was different. Didn't take much for me to get the schematics to see that all that was needed was an additional ground wire and I ordered the correct pins to add the additional ground to the factory wire harness and many did the mod as well. The same goes for adding NAV to the CTS, it just takes the efforts of a few to make a difference. Ever wonder why no one has added Factory NAV to an STS yet.. Its because no one wants to try and see what it will take to get it to work. Nothing wrong with trying something if someone says it cant be done.

Cajonkev
01-07-08, 12:18 AM
I'm certainly not against anyone trying for the sake of...

My only point is that when faced with factual information showing that it is not possible to affordably integrate a system then it may not be the best course of action. But trying is believing and as I said I am sure everyone appreciates the effort and the fact it wasn't on their rides. I was also sincere in saying I am sorry it didn't work out.

And factory NAV has been added and documented which is a much different animal in this case.

Again, it never hurts to try...Well that's not true but it didn't hurt us or him too much I hope as well...

dkozloski
01-07-08, 01:54 AM
This is similar to the old Groucho Marx joke where he wouldn't belong to a club that would have him as a member. The HUD can't be retrofitted by anyone dumb enough to try it.

tomm
01-07-08, 07:53 AM
This is similar to the old Groucho Marx joke where he wouldn't belong to a club that would have him as a member. The HUD can't be retrofitted by anyone dumb enough to try it.

Has anyone told you that your a grumpy old man? Just about everyone of your 8000+ posts is negative. Get over yourself.

dkozloski
01-07-08, 09:56 AM
It's all about a pesky little thing called reality. You can ignore me and go ahead and try but the problem is that you know I'm right.

Benjamin Simon
01-09-08, 09:19 AM
It's all about a pesky little thing called reality. You can ignore me and go ahead and try but the problem is that you know I'm right.

To be honest, I enjoy reading your posts.