: Fender Tag or what car do I have?

CoupedeVille'73
07-25-07, 06:52 AM
hi,
as I'm new to the theme, I'd like to know where I can find the tag with the complete manufacturing informations of my '73 Coupe deVille. I've got the VIN (off course) but there must be more info somewhere (colour code, interior code etc.).
I remember that some other brands(:eek:) do have a tag under the trunk lid, but this one hasn't.
Would appreciate your answers.

Greetings from Germany where you can tell it's summer, because the rain gets warmer right now :bigroll:

Mud
07-25-07, 08:44 AM
By fender tag do you mean the cowl tag on the firewall? It has all the trim/color codes on it.

CoupedeVille'73
07-25-07, 09:00 AM
By fender tag do you mean the cowl tag on the firewall? It has all the trim/color codes on it.Yes, thank you. I don't know the name of the tag exactly, but what I mean is the little piece of matal, which contains all the informations of the car. It must be mounted somewhere on the body and is supposed to be made of metal, even if some other brands (:eek:) use stickers, for instance under the trunk hood.

jayoldschool
07-25-07, 10:18 AM
It's not other brands, it is just newer cars. SPID stickers (service parts identification) can be found in all GM cars beginning in the 80s.

Mud
07-25-07, 01:11 PM
Yours should have a metal cowl tag. It is mounted on top of the firewall, drivers side. You may have to do some cleaning to see it.

carnut
07-25-07, 02:21 PM
You might get lucky by removing the rear seat lower cushion. Sometimes the factory build sheet is located within the seat springs! I've also found the sheet under the passenger seat in the springs.

Mud
07-25-07, 04:38 PM
y'know I'm gonna try that on mine. I did look under the never-used spare but found nothing. I'm willing to bet that no-one has ever monkeyed with the back seat cushions. Car is probably one of the most original that I have seen in a long time.

Wheelman322
07-25-07, 05:16 PM
I'm gonna have to take a look too. I always wanted to get a hold of the build sheet on both of my Cads. I have to pull my pass seat in the 78 anyway...I accidentally tugged the recline wire out when I was vaccuuming.

CoupedeVille'73
07-26-07, 10:16 AM
Thank you for all those nice and competent answers. Maybe I'll be able to find what I need now :thumbsup: .
If so, does anyone of you know what the encodings on it mean or does even a list of codes (yes, I found the thread with the colour codes) exist somewhere on our globe?
Would be nice to know...:rolleyes:

carnut
07-26-07, 12:20 PM
Every factory service manual I've seen lists the description of the letter and number code at the front of the manual. I presume you have a factory service manual? If not then a manual close to your year of car will work.

jayoldschool
07-26-07, 12:56 PM
Both 70s cars I have owned have had factory build sheets under the passeger seat, in the springs.

dkozloski
07-28-07, 04:13 AM
There were a lot of GM cars made with a build sheet stuck to the top of the gas tank. I know of several cases where the value of Corvettes went sustantially higher with this discovery.

CoupedeVille'73
07-29-07, 04:33 PM
Every factory service manual I've seen lists the description of the letter and number code at the front of the manual. I presume you have a factory service manual? If not then a manual close to your year of car will work.Sorry to say, but there didn't come any paperworks with the car exept the certificate of ownership. :rant2: Not even an owners's manual. :crybaby:
I would appreciate to have both, an owner's manual and a service manual.
Is anybody out there who could help me out of the situation with appropriate .pdf-files or something like that, please?:worship: