: How to change license plate bulbs?

faderrific
07-24-07, 09:32 PM
Hi all! I'm new here, been lurking around since last Friday though. I'm the new owner of my Caddywagon, '04 V8 AWD LOADED! SRX.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could explain how to change the rear license plate bulbs. I can't seem to figure it out. I've pulled off the plastic on the underside of the liftgate and stopped there since it looked like it requires me to take off the latch. I didn't want to get that far into it, without someone's advice first.

Oh and my car just happens to have 1k over warranty. :mad:

ewill3rd
07-25-07, 06:08 AM
There are I think 5 retaining nuts that hold the handle and license plate pocket on to the vehicle. It is technically called an "applique".

Once you remove the 5 nuts you can work the applique out of the endgate to access the bulbs. Be careful not to scratch the paint with the studs.
I usually run a strip of 2 inch masking tape around the outside edge of the applique to prevent accidental scratches from the studs.
The release handle uses a cable so it should be moveable without disconnecting anything else, but be careful that it is connected before you reassemble the trim.
If the cable comes off the handle and you close the endgate... you got problems.

donjumpsuit
07-25-07, 10:12 AM
how much did you pay for it?

Oh, we are finally getting up into the 60-100k mile range for SRX's, i can't wait to see how long the magnetic shocks and drive trains perform.

faderrific
07-25-07, 10:47 AM

Oh, we are finally getting up into the 60-100k mile range for SRX's, i can't wait to see how long the magnetic shocks and drive trains perform.

I picked it up for 21.5 OTD. I also got 18.5 for my Accord I traded in.

GMJim
07-25-07, 11:00 AM

Don, Don, Don..........you've been doing sooooo good lately!
Repeat after me. I will remain optimistic. I will remain optimistic..............

The lighting engineers need their tail kicked. Between turn signals & lic plate lights, you have disassemble half the car.

faderrific
07-25-07, 01:03 PM
There are I think 5 retaining nuts that hold the handle and license plate pocket on to the vehicle. It is technically called an "applique".

Once you remove the 5 nuts you can work the applique out of the endgate to access the bulbs. Be careful not to scratch the paint with the studs.
I usually run a strip of 2 inch masking tape around the outside edge of the applique to prevent accidental scratches from the studs.
The release handle uses a cable so it should be moveable without disconnecting anything else, but be careful that it is connected before you reassemble the trim.
If the cable comes off the handle and you close the endgate... you got problems.

Ok after about 35 minutes I managed to change the 2 lights. WOW, talk about complicated! I put in some white LEDs, so hopefully it looks nicer at night. I'll snap some pictures, if I remember.

ewill3rd
07-25-07, 01:35 PM
It's not really a party is it?

louisn
07-25-07, 06:37 PM
I picked it up for 21.5 OTD. I also got 18.5 for my Accord I traded in.
I have an Accord too as well as an SRX. What year was your Accord? I may be trading and that figure might me helpful. Thanks.

faderrific
07-25-07, 09:57 PM
I have an Accord too as well as an SRX. What year was your Accord? I may be trading and that figure might me helpful. Thanks.

No, it wasn't very fun at all!

I had a '05 Accord coupe EX-V6 navi, leather, every available Honda option. It was in mint condition, washed every week and waxed every month (I'm kinda OCD about the cleaniness of my vehicles) Also one reason I think I got so much for my car was the low mileage. I had 33k on and it was almost 3 years old, still under Honda's warranty.

fortec
08-04-07, 07:11 PM
Just bought an 04 myself and had to change the licence plate lights. An overly complicated design if you ask me. Make sure you use the 'long life' peanut bulbs - this is anot a job you want to do more than once. The hatch is made by Lear in the southern states and I had to use a block of wood to reinstall the plate assembly to match up the 5 or 7 nuts that hold it on. I also have the water in the jack compartment problem.

MortnCyn
08-05-07, 08:45 AM
After reading about this, if I lose the license bulb(s), think I will wait until someone like the RCMP stops me and tells me the they are out.

natrotciv
08-18-07, 06:36 PM
i also have the water in the jack compartment. i took it to the dealership and they said that it was the "weather strip" and they had my car for a week and when they gave it back it was dry but when i got home, it was soaked again. i figured if i take it to them every month and get a new carpet every month, ill get my moneys worth for the car. im jk but those people need to learn how to fix leaks.

natrotciv
08-19-07, 12:12 PM
ok so ive been reading this thread over and over but i cant seem to find out where the other "5" retaining screws are that hold the panel to the car. can anyone please help me in changing my license plate bulbs? pics would help too. thanks alot!

z06bigbird
08-19-07, 03:43 PM
To access the instrument panel on my old Lincoln, I had to remove the chrome covers on the inside A pillars, the chrome covers that went along the inside of the room, back to the rear window, and the chrome trim around the inside of the rear window. All of the chrome overlaped the wrong way.

Not difficult, just a surprise.

ewill3rd
08-19-07, 03:53 PM
There are some 10mm nuts on studs that come through the panel from the other side.
When you look at the inside of the gate you'll see the studs with the silver 10mm nuts.

natrotciv
08-20-07, 12:15 AM
10mm studs? is it on the outside of the car or the inside? all i see are the 2 screws that hold the plate to the car and theres a screw on the inside handle of the gate...thanks for your help guys

ewill3rd
08-20-07, 05:37 AM
You have to remove the interior trim panel on the endgate.
See earlier in the thread for more detailed instructions.

SRX2007
08-20-07, 10:45 PM
How nice you've got LEDs for the license plate lights. Could you tell me what type of LED lights fit to the SRX's original bulbs?

natrotciv
08-20-07, 11:10 PM
i think they were 2825 but i havent even put them in yet...im so confused...

GMJim
08-21-07, 10:39 AM
First remove the large interior trim panel from the L/Gate Inner. Then remove the four nuts ( red)
Then remove the asm from the L/Gate. Then you can access the lights. Some parts (latch asm, wiper motor, etc) were removed for clarity.
You must log in to see pics. Good luck!

GMJim
08-21-07, 11:05 AM
pic of interior trim panel removed.............you can see one of the red nuts also

natrotciv
08-21-07, 03:22 PM
wowowowo thankyou so much

natrotciv
08-23-07, 02:56 PM
i just changed my license plate lights today. ill get some pics posted hopefully. thanks for all the help guys. ecspecially GMJim

GMJim
08-23-07, 08:09 PM
My pleasure.
was the interior trim panel a pain in the butt to get off & on?
When my lic plate light went out, I just traded it in. ha ha

natrotciv
08-23-07, 08:11 PM
no actually it was pretty simple. but the head lights and fog lights are soooo hard to do. but thanks for the advice

natrotciv
09-02-07, 12:04 AM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/natrotciv/cadillac.jpg

pics of my changed lights. its less bluer than the pic, i dont know why its that blue. its more white. i have extras laying around incase anyone wanted any. just pm me.