: rough idle

linzal
07-24-07, 10:14 PM
Just purchased my first fixer up caddy an 88 brougham. I am allready lost, when the car is started you have to give it gas to get it to keep running. When you let off the gas if it does not die it idles very rough. If the car is given any throtle it smooths out and runslike a gem. I have allready changed the dist, plugs, and wires where do i need to look next, please help.

Mud
07-25-07, 08:56 AM
FIrst, I would strongly suggest that you pick up the factory service manual for the car - I bought one for my 86 off of ebay for about $20. Well worth it!

There are a ton of vacuum lines under the hood plus electronic controls. First stop may be to start checking and replacing vaccum line, sounds like you may have a vacuum leak.

There are so many things that it could be which is why I suggested the factory service manual, not a Haynes or Chiltons. The factory manual has diagnostic procedures that will allow you to be methodical in pinpointing the problem.

Globalwarmer
08-01-07, 08:50 AM
I had a similar issue on my 88 Brougham:
1. Right front carb mounting bolt was loose - damp - able to tighten - checked the others - brought them each to "just touch - then snugged" - backyard torque.

2. Larger manifold vacuum hose was stressed / kinked at manifold - redressed - resecured.

3. As a general rule when I feel like hobbying - slowly doing point to point vacuum hose replacements for lines that are split and fatiqued.

- Starts and idles fine, now. Just need to get the belts to stop squealing!! - Now looking a PS pump pully alignment with the water pump pully....

linzal
09-19-07, 05:07 PM
Tightened carb bolts, fixed a couple vacuum lines, replaced fuel pump egr, and pcv no real improvement. After car is warmed up every time i come to a stop it dies and i can smell gasoline any other ideas

Cadillac Giovanni
09-19-07, 07:07 PM
Not sure. I know my car runs like crap with the EGR valve connected, so I only connect it when I go for emissions tests. Another thing to check would be the choke thermostat, and perhaps even the fuel filter.

I would also advice getting a cadillac service manual for your car. They are readily available on ebay, and they're extremely helpful, and also just cool to thumb through when you're bored.

Spock
09-19-07, 10:35 PM
Check the timing you must...hmmmmm. Changed the distributor you did hmmmm. Time or time not, there is no try.

ShokleyMobile1972
09-20-07, 01:46 AM
I heard of a strange case where is caused by a bad charging system causing the Voltage to fluctuate. Not likely the case here, but may-be worth checking as a last resort. A simple check is to check if lights in idle.