: I'm a believer of Cadillac safety now

arandall850
07-24-07, 08:09 PM
yesterday my wife hit a Ford F550 head on at 60mph and the truck was going 35. besides the normal bruises, she broke her jaw on the airbag, but considering the severity of the accident, I think she came out alright especially with the speed. I've always driven Volvo's myself because of the safety, and this was our first cadillac (we just got it 3 months ago! :( ) and for sure it won't be our last.

sgilbert
07-24-07, 09:05 PM
Holy Crap! Be glad she's alive! That's 60 + 35; like 95mph hitting a brick wall. Hope she's better soon.

Curious....I see a small dog leash on the dash....was the dog in the car? Was it hurt?

A great testament to the SRX's occupant survivability.

arandall850
07-24-07, 09:12 PM
Yes our Dog Mia a mini schnauzer was in the car, in the back in her kenel, and she is perfectly fine. Shooken up, but we had the vet check her out and she was fine, already back home and runnin around.

Infrared in Idaho
07-25-07, 03:38 AM
Oh my god!!!!. I'm in the same boat as you are. I've driven Volvos for most of my life. Because Volvos had the reputation of being the safest car on the road. Fortunely, I haven't gotten into an accident with my SRX. We gave the Volvo (93 Volvo 940) to my 18 year old son, when we got our 04 SRX. The most important thing is no one died in the accident.

ewill3rd
07-25-07, 05:51 AM
Be glad engineers figured out that a giant rigid vehicle wasn't the answer to safety in a crash.
The use of crash testing has really brought up the safety level of the cars on the road.
I'd like to say I am glad your wife suffered minor injuries, but a broken jaw is nothing to sneeze at. Compared to the level of damage done to the car I'd say she is fortunate to only have sustained the injuries she did.
That looks horrible! I can only imagine what would have happened if she were in a much older vehicle.
I hope your wife has a fast recovery!

onewhippedpuppy
07-25-07, 07:35 AM
Wow. Thank God she's ok, that was quite a hit.

73Thumper
07-25-07, 08:39 AM
Wow, that is a statement. A friend has a F350, and that thing is huge, a
F550 is like a small semi. Hope all goes well with her recovery and insurance can get you in another ride soon. I also see a Minnesota plate, I am from Rochester. Where did this accident happen? Hitting that hard, I am amazed how the cabin is obviously destroyed but by the looks of it and hitting something that large, I am amazed she wasn't pinned by the dash or her legs weren't trapped. It looks like they did not even have to cut the body of the SRX away to get her out.

TSS
07-25-07, 08:47 AM
Very glad to hear she will be okay. Serves as a reminder to us all to never take your blessings for granted.

donjumpsuit
07-25-07, 10:10 AM
First I want to say, my best wishes to your wife.

That being said, these pictures are AWESOME.
I hope you had gap coverage? We had a conversation about lease vs. buy a while ago, mentioning that one of the pluses was in cases like this. did you lease or buy?

Also, you might want to have a conversation with your wife about taking a driving school, when she gets better of course!

GMJim
07-25-07, 11:08 AM
Daaaaaaang!
Count your blessings.
Glad she will be ok.
I will pass this on to the structual engineers.
God bless, Jim

RedGalant2k1
07-25-07, 12:51 PM
Wow, glad she's ok.

z06bigbird
07-25-07, 01:24 PM
I too am glad that your wife ended up with 'minor' injuries. You must realize that you have three silver linings in this cloud:

1. Wife survived.
2. Dog survived.
3. Wife will be unable to talk as much as she used to (for a temp period).

You are a lucky man!!

Please don't be offended.

Mplsspyder
07-25-07, 05:33 PM
Wow- glad to hear she came away with minor injuries. Give her a hug and be glad.

Kind of glad after reading some of the other threads to see the ultraview is still in one piece.
I am also from Minnesota ( saw the plate also) where was this?

arandall850
07-25-07, 06:42 PM
1/2 mile east of the Albertville/Hwy94 exit. Yeah, actually the only glass that had damage was the windshield, and the back drivers side door, the little triangle was shattered. Even the glass on the pass door (which the whole door was crushed, the glass was perfectly intact. And the ultraview is fine, that other thread is a one time defect I think.

c5 rv
07-25-07, 09:47 PM
Very glad for your wife. That's definitely beyond the "That'll buff out with a little Zaino" stage.

Northern SRX
07-28-07, 05:21 AM
I am so happy to hear that your wife survived a crash between 2 such heavy vehicles at such speeds - please accept wishes from this stranger for a speedy recovery.

How did the occupants of the Ford fare?

Funny, I am nuts about safety and do mostly semi-rural driving. Because of the geography of the road I travel mostly on my daily commute, there are not that many intersections - only one of which I would label as a high speed intersection.

For that reason, while I am interested in t-bone crash issues, I am almost obsessed with head-on crash dynamics and your pix confirm my suspicions about the SRX - that it is a larger, well-assembled unibody vehicle bristling with great safety features and perfectly up to the task.

That being said, one of my greatest concerns has always been that a highspeed head-on collision with a larger-mass vehicle might overwhelm the Caddy's ability to transfer crash energy around the occupant cabin - because it likely didn't transfer much of its energy to the Ford (I dare say, the reverse probably occurred). Your pix and story indicate that the SRX is well able to handle that kind of crash energy. Like others, I am flippin' amazed to see the ultraview intact.

Although I am somewhat less concerned about side impacts, I admit to being mildly concerned about the SRX's height making it more susceptible to rollovers - but that conversation is for another day, right? This thread is a good news story.

Awesome - absolutely awesome.

The best to the wife.

Snow Thrower
07-28-07, 07:20 PM
WOW! Glad your wife and dog are ok! Seeing this makes me glad i bought this vehicle for my wife and daughter.

RANGER 66
07-30-07, 08:43 AM
Thank God your wife and dog are ok. These vehicles are amazing. I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

RLTW

Tiger
08-02-07, 07:06 AM
Whoah!!! :eek:

An amazing story and impact to be sure. Unreal. Hopefully your wife will get properly checked out and have no long term issues.

Am now convinced the Cadillac has above average new vehicle crash protection and also that the Ultraview is engineered correctly. :highfive:

Cadillib
08-05-07, 08:45 PM
Wow!!! Thank God she's ok!!!
Itís amazing how the passenger compartment looks like its COMPLETELY in tact! I own the exact vehicle (White/Tan) '04 w/ Northstar & NAV. By the looks of the wheels, my guess is that yours is the exact same year/options. Itís reassuring to know how safe this vehicle is, as my wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant! I bought the car because of our soon to be baby, and the safety features were the ultimate selling point, especially the airbags throughout. I must say, however, that I never imagined this severe of a of collision. Wow, thatís reassuring! Again, most importantly, thank the Lord that your wife is OK! Please send her our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

wifescaddy
08-06-07, 08:56 AM
Wow thank god your wife and dog are ok,but i keep looking at the ultraview and cant believe it didnt break.Hope she heals fast.