: Help! Need to Find A Part!

rstinnett
07-24-07, 06:10 PM
So I went to register my 86 Fleetwood today, and here in Missouri we have this idiotic inspection designed so the auto repair shops can rake in the money. Anyway, they failed me for a non-functioning third brake light. I opened it up and the bulb is literally melted into the plastic bulb holder!

Does anyone know where I can find a third brake light bulb holder assembly for a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham V8, RWD?

Desperate in Missouri,
Rob

rstinnett
07-24-07, 06:47 PM
Well, hell, I solved the problem! I hopped into the Caddy and went over to our local O'Reilly Auto Parts. $7.50 later I had it working. I just bought generic bulb holder and bulb, yanked the old one, spliced some wires and we are back in business.

God, I love this car.
:thumbsup:

Benzilla
07-24-07, 07:35 PM
You mean some states actually mandate that every car has to have a third brake light? Regardless of age?

Mud
07-25-07, 07:58 AM
Rob, I had the same thing, but not an issue with inspection, just that the holder in my case was brittle and broken.

Same solution in my case as well.

CaddymanTom
07-25-07, 11:59 AM
When I got my 87 mine was out too. I took it apart and the bulb holder broke into three parts. I glued it back together and replaced the bulb, It has been working since. I am not sure what I will do if it goes out again :bigroll:

z06bigbird
07-25-07, 11:31 PM
You mean some states actually mandate that every car has to have a third brake light? Regardless of age?

Most states require that if you have a light fixture, it must work.

Va requires that if your car was equiped with air conditioning, the a/c must work. 20 years ago, a crossing guard was killed when a driver's windows were fogged up. They passed that state reg within a couple of months.

Pa state inspect says no holes in body from rust--carbon monoxide; no sharp edges from rusted or broken body parts.

I could be wrong, but I believe third brake lights (like dual master cylinders) were federally mandated. Enforcement was delegated to states. Sealed beam headlights were federally mandated for many years.

Safety glass and emissions junk are federally mandated.

rstinnett
07-26-07, 01:47 AM
When I got my 87 mine was out too. I took it apart and the bulb holder broke into three parts. I glued it back together and replaced the bulb, It has been working since. I am not sure what I will do if it goes out again :bigroll:

Tom -

Go to your local auto parts store (O'Reilly, AutoZone) and pick up a replacement bulb holder for about $3.99. Then splice the wires together and whala -- you are done. You will use a different bulb afterwards, but who cares -- it is just the third brake light. A light is a light is a light.

Here is what I did, picture by picture. The plastic "silver housing" for reflectiveness broke in two, so I just super glued it back together. It doesn't look pretty but keep in mind NOBODY sees it, it is inside the third brake light.

http://www.robertstinnett.com/cadillac/caddy_tbl_1.jpg
http://www.robertstinnett.com/cadillac/caddy_tbl_2.jpg
http://www.robertstinnett.com/cadillac/caddy_tbl_3.jpg

Robert