: Tag Body Fillers

GenoTheLowrider
07-23-07, 09:43 PM
I am looking to replace the body filler that sits under the license plate in the back of the car (89 Bro), does any one know the process and level of difficulty of doing this? I wanted to try to do it myself....thanks...

Mud
07-24-07, 08:25 AM
I just pulled the old torn up rear fender fillers as well as that piece below the license plate. It's not a big deal.

There are actually 2 pieces that sit below the plate, one is a formed piece that goes right below the license plate frame and the other is a flat piece that sits on the rear bumper. At least that's how it is on my 86.

Pull the license plate down and remove the 2 attachment bolts on the spring brackets just to get the license plate assembly out of the way. Go below the car and look up at that formed piece - you will see 3-4 screws on each side that hold it to the bodywork. Remove the screws and you should be able to pull the piece out. There is a metal piece (same one that the screws attach into) that acts as sort of a spring clip to hold the piece in position, just pry it down a hair to get the piece out.

I decided to make the replacement out of steel, I did this with the front bumper/fender filler pieces and they look just like the plasteic versions. I bought the replacement rear fender fillers from www.autorifix.com - they look OK but the service/communication was terrible. I would NOT recommend them at all.

Reason that I decided to make the front and rear bumper fillers is that I have done a lot of bodywork and sheet metal fab over the years plus way too much for those little bits of plastic. Bad enough to have to pay for those rear fender fillers!

Mud
07-24-07, 08:34 AM
Scratch making a replacement - found this:
http://www.oldcarstuff.com/cgi-bin/checkitout1/checkitout.cgi?oldcarstuffSTORE:-%20Cadillac/Body%20Fillers++++CATEGORY (http://www.oldcarstuff.com/cgi-bin/checkitout1/checkitout.cgi?oldcarstuffSTORE:-%20Cadillac/Body%20Fillers++++CATEGORY)

$39 is low enough to save my time to make another one, all the others I had seen were $70.