: Cooling Fans NEED HELP.

WoodShoe
07-23-07, 04:56 PM
I blew the head recently and have put a 98 deville motor in. it started right up, but im having a few minor prolbems. One of the ones i cant seem to figure out is the cooling fans.

I have p1660 - cooling fan control unit fault or something 2 that effect.

The fans dont kick in. Does anyone know where this thing is located? or is there an easy way to short the fans into the ON position.

Its been so long since ive visited this forum, i remember it used to be quite usefull. any help is appreciated, thanx guys.

Mountie
07-23-07, 08:28 PM
Maybe your relays are stuck/bad? I just tapped on them & it turned one of mine on.

Also check the fan motor harness for damage from heat?

I can tell you where my relays are located.... Remove driver's side engine elec. box/ fuse cover...... forward-front lower - 3 relays are all there. ( Remove air box )

Your car may be different, but if not sure, the dealer can show you.

WoodShoe
07-23-07, 09:09 PM
Ive pretty much checked all the wiring, that I could see. My relays are located between the fans right at the bottom.
The thing is, the fans were working before I did the motor swap. So im kind of thinking the relays are still good. but you never know. I dont really know a way of checking them. And with all the wires going god knows where Im not really sure what controls those fans.

:confused:So if anyone knows how to fix p1660 or check whats causing it, would b a big help. :confused:

Until then I have tapped power from a couple of other systems, so at least I have the fans running constantly. :stirpot:

Mountie
07-23-07, 11:36 PM
Ive pretty much checked all the wiring, that I could see. My relays are located between the fans right at the bottom.
The thing is, the fans were working before I did the motor swap. So im kind of thinking the relays are still good. but you never know. I dont really know a way of checking them. And with all the wires going god knows where Im not really sure what controls those fans.

:confused:So if anyone knows how to fix p1660 or check whats causing it, would b a big help. :confused:

Until then I have tapped power from a couple of other systems, so at least I have the fans running constantly. :stirpot:

Maybe do a site search for your car/engine - cooling fan motors. See if there is a pic of the page from the manual. Go down to Electrics and ask / search for your code.