: P094 = Tranny rebuilt?

JSMeloche
07-23-07, 03:26 PM
So i got the dreaded P094 on my 95 STS while getting on the highway last week.... O/D disengage, then i lose third gear, goes to safe mode in Second. Clear the code, its fine for a few minutes. So it should be a Shift solenoid failling right?

So I brought it to the dealer, they dropped the pan, they say solenoids are fine. Reassembled everything, fourth gear is slipping and failing. So they want to pull out the tranny and rebuild. Quoted 2500$ CAN.

Now i think this is fishy.... every tranny problem ive seen on the forum was pretty much fixed with Shift Solenoids.

I questionned my service rep. He says its not a solenoid because the car IS shifting fine, until fourth fails. Does this makes sens? I dont think so...

Any way, the car is drivable in second gear, im going to shop around tranny shops and get a second opinion.

Any body know a reputable tranny shop in Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec?

clarkz71
07-23-07, 05:06 PM
You need to replace the solenoids. There is an update kit
part # 24211355. It includes a support bracket for the
filter in the valve body. That's what causes the solenoid to crack.
You can't tell by looking. Mine just failed the same way, lost OD (4th)
and all the other gears were fine. I couldn't see the cracked solenoid
until I removed it from the valve body.
Look at the right solenoid in the pic, the little piece of plastic in the middle is all it takes to make it inop.
Code P094 doesn't lie. Again, when I dropped the pan, I couldn't see the crack
Let me know if you need any other info.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/E-bay.jpg

clarkz71
07-23-07, 05:08 PM
Here's a pic of the support bracket I mentioned. The little filter goes in between the solenoids in the valve body.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/valvebodyx.jpg

wachuku
07-23-07, 11:39 PM
What does the metal bracket between the solenoids do, and what is it for? I'm confused by your initial explanation. Does it help with shifting? I recently dropped my pan for a fluid drain and filter clean, and I noticed that support bracket and was wondering what it does.

JSMeloche
07-24-07, 12:13 AM
Just got my car back from the dealer, 4th is slipping like a b*tch!!! dont know what they did to it.... doesnt kick off anymore, just slips. Even 3rd seems pretty sloppy/harsh depending on shifting conditions.

Anyway, drove it to a reputable tranny shop.

Dealer quoted 2800$ for tranny rebuilt. Im starting to shop for a new car.... I love this caddy, but this is pretty much the bullet. Either I keep it and wait for the next biggy, or i change right now while i can still get a few bucks out of it....

clarkz71
07-24-07, 05:17 AM
What does the metal bracket between the solenoids do, and what is it for? I'm confused by your initial explanation. Does it help with shifting? I recently dropped my pan for a fluid drain and filter clean, and I noticed that support bracket and was wondering what it does.

The bracket hold a small filter inside the valve body. The original solinoid has an "ear" that held the filter.
Fluid pressure would press the filter against the solinoid
eventually causing it to crack. Once cracked it would not allow the transmission to shift.

clarkz71
07-24-07, 05:41 AM
Here's a pic with the orientation of the filter to the solenoids
Remember, the filter is inside the valve body. The red line is
where the original solenoid "ear" holds the filter. The new solenoids
have no ear and the metal support bracket now holds the filter in place.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/E-bay017.jpg

clarkz71
07-24-07, 05:46 AM
Just got my car back from the dealer, 4th is slipping like a b*tch!!! dont know what they did to it.... doesnt kick off anymore, just slips. Even 3rd seems pretty sloppy/harsh depending on shifting conditions.

Dealer quoted 2800$ for tranny rebuilt. Im starting to shop for a new car.... I love this caddy, but this is pretty much the bullet. Either I keep it and wait for the next biggy, or i change right now while i can still get a few bucks out of it....

Code P094 is for a bad shift solenoid. All you need is the repair kit I posted.
The kit is less then $100 US. Labor shouldn't be more then 3 hours.
Most people here on the forum have payed $250 to $350 US for this repair.

zonie77
07-24-07, 10:15 AM
After reading many of the posts there is no clear cut failure of the solenoids.

The symptom is the same, but the solenoids fail in different ways.

They can stick internally, they can crack, or they can break.

I'd take a chance and change the solenoids before rebuilding the trans. They cause many of the trans problems and I can see a solenoid limiting fluid flow and causing clutch slippage.

wachuku
07-24-07, 02:55 PM
clarkz71 that's some interesting stuff about the tranny. As I said, I recently dropped my pan, and I noticed the metal bracket. My solenoid did not have a flange, so does that imply it was replaced previously? When was the switch from the solenoids with ears to a flange instead?

Also, is the small filter supposed ot be cleaned or changed when the pan is dropped? It seems like a lot of disassembly to get to it. With the old solenoids with ears it could be done more easily I'd assume, but not with the flange in the way.

clarkz71
07-24-07, 02:59 PM
The update to the 4T80E shift solenoids was sometime in 96, so your's came that way from the factory.

I don't know why that little filter is there, but you wouldn't change it unless you had the valve body out
to replace the solenoids.

wachuku
07-25-07, 12:35 AM
OK thanks clarkz71 for all the great info, good detail, and awsome pics too! Good, good stuff bro.

I hope the man with the code checks into your advice.

clarkz71
07-25-07, 04:37 AM

OK thanks clarkz71 for all the great info, good detail, and awsome pics too! Good, good stuff bro.

I hope the man with the code checks into your advice.

Seems like he didn't even read my post on how to repair his problem.
He doesn't even acknowledge what I said about how inexpensive the repair
is as he's talking about a rebuilt tranny and getting another Caddy. Oh well.

JSMeloche
07-25-07, 01:59 PM
Seems like he didn't even read my post on how to repair his problem.
He doesn't even acknowledge what I said about how inexpensive the repair
is as he's talking about a rebuilt tranny and getting another Caddy. Oh well.
Chill down ;) I thank you for your help. I posted a reply yesterday but apparently was not putted on? Whatever
The tranny shop came back. They said solenoids look fine, actuate properly. They suggested going ahead and replacing them anyway as they are the old style and where never updated. 480$ CAN later, Caddy is back on the road. So all is good.

I was thinking of switching cars... this was a pretty scary one getting quoted 2500$ for rebuilds etc...

clarkz71
07-25-07, 02:02 PM
So the solenoids did fix it, great. That's the point I was trying
to make, you can't "look" at them and say they're fine. Especially
with a code P094. That was a gift, there usually is no code.

wachuku
07-25-07, 02:05 PM
Good to hear it's back and running.

So JSMeloche if I understand correctly, replacing the solenoids -- even though the original ones appeared to actuate correctly -- was the sole action taken?

Ranger
07-25-07, 02:47 PM
So I brought it to the dealer, they dropped the pan, they say solenoids are fine. Reassembled everything, fourth gear is slipping and failing. So they want to pull out the tranny and rebuild. Quoted 2500$ CAN.
:rolleyes: You ought to drive back in and give them an update. :rant2:

clarkz71
07-25-07, 02:53 PM
I'd give them an update alright. .:hitstick:

JSMeloche
07-25-07, 08:33 PM
Good to hear it's back and running.

So JSMeloche if I understand correctly, replacing the solenoids -- even though the original ones appeared to actuate correctly -- was the sole action taken?
Yes, and they cleaned the screens and added 8 quarts of fluid.
3.5 hours of labour.