: I really need some help with SEARS!

nyyankeehater
07-23-07, 10:54 AM
I hate to post something like this here, but, I need help getting to the CEO of Sears, Aylwin Lewis (or anyone in the Executive Office who may care). I have tried the corporate office and all other possible avenues and get nothing but uncaring operators.

My father had is tractor blow up on him after a technician told him to mow is lawn 1 more time before they came back to repair it with a leaky head gasket. Of course he did and the thing caught on fire. This could have seriously hurt a 72 year old man due to the negligence of their technicians. Luckily, he did not get hurt. He has been trying to get the issue resolved for well over a month so I have now become involved. I have never run into such nonsense from a company before.

As of last Friday I got them to approve a replacement, but for only $1500. He paid over $3500 and there is not a single person who cares about this. I have been hung up on 8 times now with "sorry there is nothing we can do so I am terminating this call now". They continue to try to transfer to a different deptartment to avoid responsibility. They claim that they do not have e-mail, that the only way to contact the office is through old fashioned mail. So I need an inside to the office of the CEO or some executive.

Again, I am sorry to waste the time of anyone reading this, but my frustration is through the roof at this point. Thank you for any help that anyone may have!

Aurora5000
07-23-07, 11:04 AM
Get an attorney...they are in court everyday for stuff like this.
Until they feel some pain, nothing will change.

http://www.1personalinjurylawyers.com/map.html

EcSTSatic
07-23-07, 11:08 AM
There are lots of watchdog groups that can make the visibility real inconvenient for Sears. Most times this is the best way to get results. I can't come up with one but maybe someone else can.

dkozloski
07-23-07, 11:14 AM
Haul this mess to the dump and go buy your Dad a John Deere. It's sooooooo female to want retribution. An attorney will want to fight it right down to your last dime. Who needs it. I don't know about you but I have better things to do with my life.

EcSTSatic
07-23-07, 11:28 AM
Personally, I would pursue it.
PS: and get a tan on those legs! :)

dkozloski
07-23-07, 12:06 PM
There's nothing to pursue. Nobody was hurt. At most all Sears should have to provide you is a used mower with a blown head gasket. This is the condition you were in before the incident. $1500 ought to do the job. Take the money and run.

nyyankeehater
07-23-07, 12:07 PM
Haul this mess to the dump and go buy your Dad a John Deere. It's sooooooo female to want retribution. An attorney will want to fight it right down to your last dime. Who needs it. I don't know about you but I have better things to do with my life.

It is not retribution, I have been very pleasant and nice. He had a service agreement and they were going to repair the engine. Due to the Service Tech that came out the engine caught fire. I just want what is right for him and the run around he has received. I also do not want to deal with the lawyers.

I can promise that I will never buy from them again, anything. My next tractor will be the John Deer!

dkozloski
07-23-07, 12:46 PM
It is not retribution, I have been very pleasant and nice. He had a service agreement and they were going to repair the engine. Due to the Service Tech that came out the engine caught fire. I just want what is right for him and the run around he has received. I also do not want to deal with the lawyers.

I can promise that I will never buy from them again, anything. My next tractor will be the John Deer!
I'm happy that no one was injured. Sears is willing to put you back in the same or better condition that you were in before the incident. The $1500 offer should do that. I'd take the money and move on. It's sad, but that's all they owe you.

The Tony Show
07-23-07, 01:20 PM
Sears Holding Corp
3100 W Big Beaver Rd, Troy, MI
(248) 463-1000

That's the top.

nyyankeehater
07-23-07, 07:00 PM
Sears Holding Corp
(248) 463-1000

That's the top.

Thank you! I appreciate the help!

Kev
07-23-07, 08:05 PM
My thought is this;

Unless you have in writing the service tech's instruction to use the mower "one more time" I would expect denial of liability from them. If you can get $1,500 or more from them with the route you are taking I think you are that much ahead. I personally wouldn't get any hopes up too high though.

Sorry if I'm just a wet blanket here. Glad your Dad is unharmed. Go for the John Deer. Poulan is not bad either.

Good luck.

rblimas
07-23-07, 08:11 PM
i would take it to the local news station. here in san diego there is a guy call michael turko.

here is one of his videos that i found on youtube.

wiY_jHyMmKo

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-07, 08:11 PM
I'd take that $1,500 and go buy a John Deere. Sure, it's not as much as it cost you, but luckily your father got away unharmed. Now if he did get harmed, then they'd give you a lot more money, but that's not the case.

I'm a service writer, and whenever we come across a problem such as this, we make note of it on the repair order so that if the worst does happen, like it did with your father, they can't hold us liable for "not informing them of the situation", then we can't get in trouble for not making them aware.

Did he make note of it on the RO?

codewize
07-23-07, 08:43 PM
Here's the thing. How old was the tractor? How many hrs were on it? Was it under warranty and did they refuse warranty service by telling you to use it again.

All further action will depend on those answers.

BTW JD is no better than anyone else. They have problems just like the rest. A good Kohler engine with a pressurized oil system is your best bet for small lawn tractor type things. Now if you're talking about a JD 790 or something well then go for it, but for a lawn tractor JD is no better than the rest. They're just pretty green and they cost twice as much.

Sears lawn tractors are made by Husqvarna and they're one of the best manufacturers out there. I would actually buy a Husky before a JD. JD makes very high end farm equipment but the consumer grade products are no better than the rest.

c5 rv
07-23-07, 08:55 PM
Sears Holding Corp
(248) 463-1000

That's the top.

Sorry, that's the old K-Mart HQ address. It's empty now. K-Mart bought Sears and adopted the Sears identity. HQ moved to the Sears HQ in Illinois. Start here:

Sears Holdings Corporation
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179
(847) 286-2500

Here's their website:

http://www.searsholdings.com/about/loc.htm

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-07, 08:55 PM
How about Cub Cadet?

nikon
07-23-07, 10:50 PM
I'd take the money and buy a used commercial grade mower...we paid ~2k for ours..granted it has high hours...but who cares...it's a zero radius (skid steer) with a big motor and FLIES!!! baby will do about 8-10mph cutting...either way sorry to hear about the mower...but I say take the money and buy something decent...and I must agree about the john deer mowers....they're the same as the rest of em...go for used commercial.

01STS
07-23-07, 11:01 PM
How does a leaky head gasket cause a motor to blow up???

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-07, 11:56 PM
How does a leaky head gasket cause a motor to blow up???

The coolant will all leak out, causing the engine block to get so hot that the oil starts leaking and that gets to the exhaust manifolds then it's up in flames. My coworker's foster kid bought an '88 Aries wagon and he blew the headgasket and it burned to the ground, and it happened the same way.

Playdrv4me
07-24-07, 01:24 AM
Threaten legal action but dont *pursue* it, if the threat is insufficient to get them to make it right, then you have nothing to gain by getting a lawyer involved but the loss of your own money and chasing your tail unless all youre planning to do is make an example out of your case.

When I ran over Verizon's improperly closed manhole cover in my BMW during a flood, which destroyed the transmission (the water overtopped it making it invisible), I called their customer relations department and asked for assistance. A representative called me from their insurance company and was very bull-headed and claimed no responsibility of course. I threatened legal action which he promptly informed me would get me nowhere because "I couldnt prove that the cover wasnt damaged before I drove over it by a big truck or something else". I told him that was fine and Id let my attorney handle it. Of course that was complete BS on my part.

Well lo and behold, the VERY NEXT DAY I get a call from the same gentleman informing me that "we'd like to go ahead and send an adjuster to look at your car and perhaps split the responsibility with the contractor who installed the cover". Shortly thereafter my car ended up at the dealership getting repaired to the tune of about 10000.00.

In your case, theyve already done plenty in my opinion by offering the 1500.00 replacement, which is probably what the depreciated value of the tractor was anyway. Take the money and avoid the headaches.

nyyankeehater
07-24-07, 07:05 PM
Again, I want to thank everyone for their help. After significant effort I have found that the only way to get to them is the old fashioned way. Mail.

On a positive note we talked to the local store manager today who has been out of the loop. He was incredibly nice and helped my father by meeting him halfway to the difference of a new mower. At least I still have faith in the local managers. I have lost faith in Sears overall. Too bad, they were once the place to go for stuff like this. I will think twice in the future before I spend any money with them. If I do, it will be at this managerís location. We will send a package to the CEO and others to let them know about the insanity, and the good deeds of the local management.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

01STS
07-25-07, 12:33 AM
The coolant will all leak out, causing the engine block to get so hot that the oil starts leaking and that gets to the exhaust manifolds then it's up in flames. My coworker's foster kid bought an '88 Aries wagon and he blew the headgasket and it burned to the ground, and it happened the same way.

So let me get this straight. You are riding on a lawn tractor that has the motor between your legs and beside the family jewels. You know there is a leaky head gasket but opt to use it anyways. You don't check the coolant level while mowing yet can't understand why there is a sweet odor in the air. While continuing to mow, the sweet smell is replaced with an acrid stench of oil on manifold and an odd " smoke like subtance" bellows from between your legs but you continue to mow the lawn. The strange white cloud has now turned into an unusual orange flickering light that is melting the plastic between your legs, and only then you decide to get off the lawn tractor.

Yeah sure sounds like you have a case there!! While you are at it why not take the MENSA test to pass the time. . . . .

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-07, 12:38 AM
So let me get this straight. You are riding on a lawn tractor that has the motor between your legs and beside the family jewels. You know there is a leaky head gasket but opt to use it anyways. You don't check the coolant level while mowing yet can't understand why there is a sweet odor in the air. While continuing to mow, the sweet smell is replaced with an acrid stench of oil on manifold and an odd " smoke like subtance" bellows from between your legs but you continue to mow the lawn. The strange white cloud has now turned into an unusual orange flickering light that is melting the plastic between your legs, and only then you decide to get off the lawn tractor.

Somethin' like that...I'd assume he got off the lawn tractor long before it actually went up in flames.

DopeStar 156
07-28-07, 01:55 PM
What you could do if you wanna hurt them is take their sales away. Stand outside the door with a big picture of the burnt tractor and tell people your story as they walk in. Be a loud protestor (but peaceful) and stay outside the store. Someone will report you to management and they'll prolly try to do something to get you to stop that will benefit you.......

Spyder
07-28-07, 02:38 PM
Get your fifteen hundred bucks first though!

Jonas McFeely
07-28-07, 02:52 PM
Not to sound like a dick, but driving anything thats leaking coolant is just plain stupid. Thinking that its ok is even more stupid. Bitching when the catches fire is stupidest of all.

Any man, especially one up there in his age, should know(its in our blood) that you should NEVER operate anything that is leaking coolant. Its common sense. Whether or not the dipshit tech said it was ok is irrelevant.

$1500 is damn good. Take it and run. Be thankful no one was injured.

Spyder
07-28-07, 05:10 PM
Yea, that! ^

dkozloski
07-28-07, 08:29 PM
They try to make lawn tractors fool proof but they aren't damnfool proof.

Gearheaad43
08-02-07, 12:25 PM
Wait a MIn.. Leaking Coolant???? WHAT ?? Aren't those engines "air cooled"??

malcolm
08-02-07, 02:23 PM
Don't buy Sears lawn care stuff. Take a look at any landscaper, you know guys who make a living cutting grass and can't afford to fool around with junk, and see what they are using and I guarantee it aint' Sears.