: Will a Cooler Kill My Car?

golfguy
07-21-07, 08:01 AM
Hi everyone new to the forum... good stuff :)

I drive a 2005 STS, and recently bought one of those niffy little 12V cooler/wamers.

It's a tiny little thing that fits nicely on the transmission hump in the rear passeger comparment (Thank you GM for a flat transmission hump), and plugs into the center console power outlet. It works like a charm

I can easily open the cooler remove a cold soda, close it back up, without ever taking my eyes off ther road,

this is the stuff that dreams are made of...

The thing is, I'm afraid to leave it plugged in while the car is off...

What if my niffy little cooler is sucking the life out of my battery?

All sorts of problems arise... Sure that means no more cold sodas... worst yet, I'm waiting around for roadside assitance, and have to explain why my selfish need to have cold sodas has stranded me.

Does anyone know if the Caddy keeps tabs on power drain, and will shut down any life sucking force before it reaches critical mass?

I do like soda, but hey, I'm not willing to sacrfice my ride for a "cold one"

Buzz48317
07-21-07, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone new to the forum... good stuff :)

I drive a 2005 STS, and recently bought one of those niffy little 12V cooler/wamers.

It's a tiny little thing that fits nicely on the transmission hump in the rear passeger comparment (Thank you GM for a flat transmission hump), and plugs into the center console power outlet. It works like a charm

I can easily open the cooler remove a cold soda, close it back up, without ever taking my eyes off ther road,

this is the stuff that dreams are made of...

The thing is, I'm afraid to leave it plugged in while the car is off...

What if my niffy little cooler is sucking the life out of my battery?

All sorts of problems arise... Sure that means no more cold sodas... worst yet, I'm waiting around for roadside assitance, and have to explain why my selfish need to have cold sodas has stranded me.

Does anyone know if the Caddy keeps tabs on power drain, and will shut down any life sucking force before it reaches critical mass?

I do like soda, but hey, I'm not willing to sacrfice my ride for a "cold one"

You sure that this is 'soda' that we're talking about :):tisk::)

No idea about the STS shuting off power before meltdown, but there are others here that have reported battery problems with just leaving the car parked for days and days at a time. BTW, what make and model cooler did you get, as I am probably interested in one for the long haul trips.

golfguy
07-21-07, 11:00 AM
I swear ginger-ale only....

What I bought was a RoadPro "On-the-Go" Cooler...

It holds a six-pack... of ginger-ale... really.. ginger-ale, I'm not kidding

I selected the RoadPro purely on size;

The foot-print is 10" x 7" and the area on the transmission hump is appoximatly 8" x 8" ... so over hang on either side on the hump is barely noticable.

I even plan on covering the "Non-working" parts with black leather or pleather to match the interior.

There is an attachment for around $40 that monitors the battery from the cooler's side, so it doesn't suck the life out of your car, but I thought if GM already thought of that... then all the better... one less attachment

and I can have my soda, and drink it too

Really honest to god... just soda :drink2:

bigdog9586
07-21-07, 05:54 PM
I have one of the bigger ones that hold a few 6 packs and it said in the directions it would shut off before it would let the battery run down. Check yours. I have run all day without a problem but always take it inside for the night if on the road. I have the 110 plug too. A wise investment.

z06bigbird
07-21-07, 09:45 PM
Use some ice; then you can spill water and end up with mildew carpeting.

golfguy
07-21-07, 10:19 PM
Nothing in the cooler instuctions saying it won't commit battery-cide...

Lots of warnings not to use ice, don't try to run while charging, but nothing about the car battery :(

golfguy
07-22-07, 04:09 PM
OK, If no one know whether the STS will shut down a power outlet operated device before the battery is sucked dry...

Is there a way to set the power outlets to turn off if the ignition is off?

AllWheelEric
07-22-07, 06:06 PM
I think the STS will shut off power to the outlets after 10-20 minutes regardless of the battery condition.

golfguy
07-22-07, 06:24 PM
I think the STS will shut off power to the outlets after 10-20 minutes regardless of the battery condition.

If That's the case... All is well!

The cooler will run off it's own battery(up to 3 hours), if no other power source is availible.

I just didn't want to have to remember to uplug it every time I left the car...

This forum rocks (I now also know why my seat farts)

bigdog9586
07-22-07, 09:07 PM
Why not just put it in the car and go out and check it every 1/2 hour for a couple of hours. I doubt if it would run the car down even if it ran all day. Have you ever looked inside of one of those. Basically a circuit board, a small computer fan that would be the biggest draw and that isn't much.

golfguy
07-23-07, 06:06 AM
What had me concerned was that a device to prevent your battery from being drained was offered as an upsell.

I know that's marketing 101; offer extra stuff (even if they don't need it) while the customer has his wallet out... but it still makes you wonder:rolleyes:

I've had cars go dead becuse the dome light was left on over night... that really makes you wonder

z06bigbird
07-24-07, 11:43 PM
Why not just put it in the car and go out and check it every 1/2 hour for a couple of hours. I doubt if it would run the car down even if it ran all day. Have you ever looked inside of one of those. Basically a circuit board, a small computer fan that would be the biggest draw and that isn't much.

Label on device typically shows the amount of amperage drawn.

golfguy
07-25-07, 08:38 AM
Label on device typically shows the amount of amperage drawn.

I check it out..

I have been running the cooler and using DIC to monitor it.

DIC shows around the battery 13.9 volts normally, if the cooler runs for 3 hours DIC displays 12.1 to 12.4

According to the manual the battery should be between 11.5 and 15 volts in order to start the car

Curious George
07-31-07, 06:42 PM
I have a Coleman camp cooler. It's about the size of a small bar refrigerator. It's a 4-amp (i.e., 50-watt) load. So, in 10 hours--overnight--it draws 40 ampere-hours or 0.5 kilowatt-hours. I don't know if that draw would leave enough charge to start the car. The instruction booklet claims that it will shut itself off when the battery drops to 10 volts. Whoopie! That's dead.

Bee iLL
07-31-07, 07:20 PM
Am I the only one to read the manual? You probably already figured this out since you are monitoring the voltage, but it clearly states under accessory power outlet that the car will NOT shut off the accessory outlets when turned off. I repeat, WILL NOT TURN OFF OUTLETS! It even warns that leaving something plugged in will drain your battery! "Power is ALWAYS supplied to the outlets!"