: **Update** Head gasket on 99 Deville

johnrgregory
07-20-07, 01:15 PM
For more background click here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/111719-99-deville-over-heating-not-hg.html)

Breifly the dealer replaced the HG in March 2006 I thought they had done both heads at $3500 ( I had an extended warranty with the dealer, my cost was $50 deductable) Well the car over heated again a couple of weeks ago, 125 miles from home. Now I find out they only fixed one head, the rear, because the front head bolts had not failed, YET! My service tech said "they", not sure if they are the warranty company or GM, says NOT to timesert the head until the bolts fail. Short sighted you think???

So today the are dropping the engine again to fixed the failed bolts on the front head. :rant2:<<directed at the dealer

EcSTSatic
07-20-07, 02:05 PM
That's what they used to call "penny wise, pound foolish". :mad:

Of course the dealer gets to charge the same amount once again. They are the only winners, you are out another deductible and loss of the car. At least you have the warranty!

johnrgregory
07-20-07, 04:03 PM
At least you have the warranty!

Thank goodness for that.

I did have some out of pocket costs, I paid my son in law's gas to come up and tow us home $100, and the rental on the U-Haul auto transport $70, We sat at a rest stop for 4 hours in Idaho in 100* heat.

clarkz71
07-20-07, 04:43 PM
That's what they used to call "penny wise, pound foolish". :mad:

Oh, they still call it that. But being in the business, I can say that an extended warranty or a factory warranty won't replace the other headgasket if it hasn't failed at the same time. Especially if the dealer tells them it hasn't failed "yet". On a customer pay job they will recommend doing both however.

misfit6794
07-21-07, 12:27 PM
Not to brag, but I totally called that one.

When they replaced the headgaskets did they do just one or both?

I can't believe they would do that, they did all the hard work and then decided not to do the other head. Timeserts are the only insurance against this happening again, completely obsurd they would wait until the repairs failed to do that. I really think you need to get your car out of that dealership. First, they only repair one head, with the motor dropped and apart. Then, they give the car a clean bill of health with a bad headgasket. And finally they won't put timeserts in it. Outrageous

Ranger
07-21-07, 05:40 PM
I can't believe they would do that
I can. I believe if it is under warranty, they will only authorize Timeserting bolt holes that have pulled threads. That may be only 1 or 2. I suspect aftermarket warranties are the same. No PM, repair what is broken only. It's all about money.

eldorado1
07-21-07, 05:58 PM
I'm curious if this may be why dealerships seem to get a lot of repeat timesert customers?

It's not the timesert that failed, but the installee who only put in 1 or 2 inserts and they pulled out because the rest of the bolts pulled out too?

johnrgregory
07-27-07, 11:39 AM
Well the dealer finally took apart the front head, 3 bolts pulled out. (The rear head had been timeserted 15 months ago.

The mechanic,(N* certified) has found the pistons "sloppy" and has suggested a rebuilt engine or to rebuilt the engine at the dealership. Right now the dealer and warranty company are exchanging voicemail. So once they connect with the warranty company, they will call me. I guess GM does not have new or rebuilt N* for 1999 Devilles? That is what I was told.

I will be glad when this nightmare is over, I have been without the car for 3 weeks now. I am sooooo glad I purchased the extended warranty.:thumbsup:

CASTOR TROY
07-27-07, 08:53 PM
^^^^ duuuuuuude i feel your pain more so cuz all my repairs are outta pocket 4k just for a new motor not olny that my car is stranded 400mi away from me in warfordsburg pa... i was lucky enuff to find a good garage in the middle of podunkville usa

acklac7
07-28-07, 12:44 AM
I can. I believe if it is under warranty, they will only authorize Timeserting bolt holes that have pulled threads. That may be only 1 or 2. I suspect aftermarket warranties are the same. No PM, repair what is broken only. It's all about money.

Thats what happend with my warranty co. when my HG failed. The Warr. Co. only coverd the 4 bolts that had pulled, the rest were on me. About $900 out of pocket, alot better than the total bill of $4000 (mind you I got the repair authorized on the LAST day of my contract :eek:)

clarkz71
07-28-07, 05:34 AM
Post #4

Oh, they still call it that. But being in the business, I can say that an extended warranty or a factory warranty won't replace the other headgasket if it hasn't failed at the same time. Especially if the dealer tells them it hasn't failed "yet". On a customer pay job they will recommend doing both however.

Post #6

That sounds familiar....

johnrgregory
07-31-07, 06:06 PM
The warranty company sent an inspector out, he thinks the sloppiness in the pistons are normal wear, the dealership mechanic back peddeled and agreed, so they will repair the head. I will have another 18 months on the warranty, so if the piston still makes a noise it is going back to the dealer.

The mechanic told the service manager that "maybe" when the car ran too hot, the spark to the piston was turned off and the noise was caused by unburned fuel. Sounds lame to me but I am no expert.

The the head will be fixed. The rear bank was done in March 2006

JC316
08-01-07, 02:36 PM
Thats is why the only person I trust is myself ;). I KNOW that both of my heads are timeserted.

mtflight
08-01-07, 02:44 PM
So what is the warranty co.? Still pretty good that it covered headgaskets at all. How much was it [warranty]? I had Continental--it just ran out.

z06bigbird
08-01-07, 02:56 PM
Fine print on aftermarket extended warranties does not allow for repair of other items that have 'not failed." At least with GMPP, you can get service mgr to put his two cents in, and someone listens.

mtflight
08-01-07, 03:48 PM
Fine print on aftermarket extended warranties does not allow for repair of other items that have 'not failed." At least with GMPP, you can get service mgr to put his two cents in, and someone listens.

Yes but at least with a good dealer, and good communication, the dealer could relay that to you and let you know--listen they're only paying for this much--do you want to do it right and pay the difference?

johnrgregory
08-01-07, 03:57 PM
The warranty company is an insurance company in FL I think. I would have to look at the paper work. I paid $1200 for it, coverage is 3yr, 36,000 miles. It does not cover headgasket failure, but really it is the head bolts that fail and therefore covered. I have a $50 deductible. I bought when I bought the used Deville from the dealer. Best $1200 I every spent. The first repair under warranty was $3500

mtflight
08-01-07, 04:09 PM
I paid more for mine, and only got an alternator out of it (and paid the difference in labor--they paid $70/hr. but my dealership was $130 an hour). I'd be interested to know who they are--I'm weary without a warranty now that mine expired.

johnrgregory
08-01-07, 04:44 PM
I will try to remember to look at the paper work at home tonight

I paid more for mine, and only got an alternator out of it (and paid the difference in labor--they paid $70/hr. but my dealership was $130 an hour). I'd be interested to know who they are--I'm weary without a warranty now that mine expired.

jasper60103
08-01-07, 06:54 PM
I'd be interested to know who they are...

yeah, I would like to know too. I heard some 3rd party warranty's lowball the repair cost and you could end up paying the difference. My current garage charges $88/hour so I know that would be a problem for me.

johnrgregory
08-02-07, 03:45 PM
The warranty is administered by:
GA Security
PO Box 25188
SLC, UT 84125

The underwriter is:
First Colonial Insurance Co.
Jacksonville FL 32224

99_WHITE_STS
08-07-07, 02:15 AM
GA Security
PO Box 25188
SLC, UT 84125

The underwriter is:
Jacksonville FL 32224

May I ask how your warranty stated the coverage pertaining to the heads, head gaskets, and if there was an overheating clause?
I currently have both heads leaking and have an extended warranty that has 1000 miles left (100,000 mi warranty and I have 99,000) My warranty states that head gaskets and intake gaskets are covered except for external leaks cause from deteriorated seals, and also states that nothing is covered due to overheating. (the chicken and the egg...which came first)
I guess I need to start my own thread to see what others think ! Should I go for it ??

johnrgregory
08-07-07, 10:34 AM
I replied to your other thread.

John

May I ask how your warranty stated the coverage pertaining to the heads, head gaskets, and if there was an overheating clause?
I currently have both heads leaking and have an extended warranty that has 1000 miles left (100,000 mi warranty and I have 99,000) My warranty states that head gaskets and intake gaskets are covered except for external leaks cause from deteriorated seals, and also states that nothing is covered due to overheating. (the chicken and the egg...which came first)
I guess I need to start my own thread to see what others think ! Should I go for it ??

mtflight
08-07-07, 04:23 PM
GA Security
PO Box 25188
SLC, UT 84125

The underwriter is:
Jacksonville FL 32224

Thank you for this! I'll look them up and see how much they cost.

Regards,

Alex

johnrgregory
06-09-08, 06:31 PM
Fast forward to Memorial day 2008. My 1999 Deville heats up AGAIN. Still under warranty, but this time they will replace the engine with a GM remanuf. At a cost of about $8,000. My warranty company only pays upto $3000 per event. So I will be out of pocket about $5,000. The rebuilt engine will have a GM 50,000 miles or 36 month warrany. The car has 84,000 miles on it and is in cherry condition. (not counting the engine). Can't replace it for $5k and it is worthless without a new engine. Oh well, S__t happens.

John

chubbyranger
06-10-08, 10:46 PM
Fast forward to Memorial day 2008. My 1999 Deville heats up AGAIN. Still under warranty, but this time they will replace the engine with a GM remanuf. At a cost of about $8,000. My warranty company only pays upto $3000 per event. So I will be out of pocket about $5,000. The rebuilt engine will have a GM 50,000 miles or 36 month warrany. The car has 84,000 miles on it and is in cherry condition. (not counting the engine). Can't replace it for $5k and it is worthless without a new engine. Oh well, S__t happens.

John

YGBFKM. I'm not so sure you couldn't replace the car in that price range with $4 gas but you'd still be in the same boat (so to speak) with the head gasket situation. Having had the motor out twice they never Timeserted all 20 bolts?

tateos
06-12-08, 01:11 AM
WOWOWOW!

John