: Good oldies songs...

nikon
07-20-07, 11:57 AM
I've come to the realization that most of the new songs coming out today are crap, so I figured I'd turn back time a bit, unfortunately I have a rather small collection of oldies (attached) so lets get a little compilation going...I know some of you old timers on here must know a few good tunes.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/nikon858/Untitled-1.jpg

EcSTSatic
07-20-07, 12:10 PM
This was posted in a recent thread. There are some great oldies listed!

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs

At $.99 each, this iTunes collection would cost $495

Wheelman322
07-20-07, 03:53 PM
Funny to see these cataloged under "Oldies".

Playdrv4me
07-20-07, 04:08 PM
DRIVE - THE CARS. (You knew that was coming)

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

One Ive heard recently... Fats Domino - Blue Monday... THATS an oldie.

Johnny Cash... Period.

pabstcadillac
07-20-07, 04:09 PM
Anything by "The Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Johnny Horton, Hank Williams, etc. Now those are good oldies! :alchi:

Wheelman322
07-20-07, 04:34 PM
Anything by Frankie Valli is good Cadillac cruisin music.

Benzilla
07-20-07, 11:42 PM
Personally, I prefer Frank Sinatra. Valli is also a great choice.

As stated, most of those aren't oldies, and won't be... ever. Their classic rock from now on out.

Oldies would be stuff like Dino, Buddy Holly, The Supremes, The Drifters, etc.

I don't know where to start, there's so many great icons out there, once you think you've heard it all, you've hardly scratched the surface. That top 500 is a great list, I'd start there, lots of timeless classics.

dkozloski
07-21-07, 12:43 AM
Anything by Jimmy Rogers, The Singin' Brakeman.

77CDV
07-21-07, 02:14 AM
Personally, I prefer Frank Sinatra.
LOL! Are you sure we weren't separated at birth?

Bobby Darin (post-teen pop years) is really cool, too, and anything by Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, or Sarah Vaughan brightens my day.

The pop vocal groups of the Fifties and early Sixties (e.g.: the Impalas, the Skyliners, the Penguins, the Platters, the Fleetwoods, etc.) also rate highly on my list.

97DevilleBeige
07-21-07, 09:09 AM
Funny you mention "oldies." I listen to them a lot, and there was a legendary radio station with the oldies format called WCBS-FM 101.1. About two years ago after decades with the same format just switched without warning to "Jack-FM"... a mix of old and new stuff. They switched formats around 5 PM one day and just fired all the personalities. I can get over them not telling us, but doing what they did to their employees alienated me. A week ago they switched back to oldies after realizing they were losing a lot of money, but I can't listen to them knowing what kind of scum they are.