: Seat

Lord Cadillac
07-20-07, 11:32 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words.. Right?

How much would it cost to have that exact seat (in another color) built with the exact same materials made to fit in a car today? In other words, say, the driver's seat in my Escalade torn down and rebuilt like this...

nikon
07-20-07, 11:35 AM
your kidding right?? LAY OFF THE MEDS!!! :D

but, it shouldn't be too expensive I don't think.

The Tony Show
07-20-07, 12:27 PM
Ahhh, the good ole' days of button & tuck. I'd guess that a good upholstery shop could redo your Escalade seat for less than $750.

EcSTSatic
07-20-07, 12:39 PM
You want a couch in your 'Lade? I'm betting it's expensive - everything is these days. Of course what I call expensive may not be to others.
I'd be curious to know. I'd like to upgrade my Aerostar chairs.

nikon
07-20-07, 01:02 PM
Actually, all you'd have to do it go buy some lazy boy chairs attach seat belts and bolt em to the floor :D then set the cruise control, lean back and drive with your feet :p

dkozloski
07-20-07, 02:38 PM
http://www.recaro.com/

Lord Cadillac
07-20-07, 03:04 PM
your kidding right?? LAY OFF THE MEDS!!! :D

but, it shouldn't be too expensive I don't think.

I'm a hater. I HATE sports cars and seats designed to keep you IN place. :p I like late 70s Fleetwood Broughams and Continental Town Cars.

I'll have to check out the local upholstery shops...

nikon
07-20-07, 04:09 PM
^ I've been in 05' Escalades...they are so far from holding you in place it's not even funny :rolleyes:

I say you just hire an upholstery shop to shove some more foam in there or something :bouncy:

Lord Cadillac
07-20-07, 04:13 PM
^ I've been in 05' Escalades...they are so far from holding you in place it's not even funny :rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree. What I was saying up above was that I wasn't kidding at all about liking those old BIG Town Car, Fleetwood Brougham type seats - with no support at all.

I say you just hire an upholstery shop to shove some more foam in there or something :bouncy:

It's mainly the feel of the covering that I'd like to replace. The seats are pretty soft but the leather feels really cheap. If I could have it my way, I'd take crushed velour...

Stoneage_Caddy
07-20-07, 09:52 PM
i think the leather in the escaldes is harvested from the carcasses of cows from the whole "mad cow" fiasco a few years back ...simply some of the worst leather i have ever seen bolted into anything with 4 wheels ....and the center console must be made out of leather favored dye ....i could spray paint leather and get it to last longer then those do...

then there is the smell of this stuff , all cadillacs dont smell right anymore, and its becuse of that damned leather ....

no wonder PETA is pissed .....if your gonna kill a cow , at least make decent leather from it ....

Lord Cadillac
07-22-07, 02:40 AM
i think the leather in the escaldes is harvested from the carcasses of cows from the whole "mad cow" fiasco a few years back ...simply some of the worst leather i have ever seen bolted into anything with 4 wheels ....and the center console must be made out of leather favored dye ....i could spray paint leather and get it to last longer then those do...

then there is the smell of this stuff , all cadillacs dont smell right anymore, and its becuse of that damned leather ....

no wonder PETA is pissed .....if your gonna kill a cow , at least make decent leather from it ....
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this about Cadillac leather. The seating surfaces are one of the most important parts of the interior to me. Even the new Navigator has really nice leather. What is Cadillac waiting for?

Red_October_7000
07-22-07, 05:19 AM
Why not take the more direct solution? When you see something you like, head to the scrapper's yard, pull it and swap it. I have no idea if your base will fit that seat, but that's why there are measuring tapes. Worlds cheaper than having seats re-uppholstered in a new and different fashion. Look into the bases from 9-passenger Suburbans, and if they might be adapted to accept the older seats, if there are not some that simply bolt up. I've done this before on many cars and it's a matter of a few things: getting the right height and travel, the right width, and making everything bolt up. The seat bases may as well be made of armor plate, but use common sense if you modify them or the seat frames. I can offer more advice but it's five in the morning (had to finnish Harry Potter).

I believe the quote for my Corvette's two little buckets was $1,200 to have new leather fitted, and nothing else, but I may be wrong. The old leather still sits under some nice seat covers that cost $250. But they don't make seat covers like that, do they? There are some nice ones called "Euro Glove" made for bucket seats, that add padding and such, but they're, well, very Euro and not at all what you're going for. At any rate, I agree with you, though, sporstcar seats belong in sports cars. I'd no sooner put buckets in my Buick than I would but its hard-won floating-cushion seats (from the junk yard... spent two hours with my hair dangling in "water" that changed its color to free them up!) in my 'Vette. Long live the rolling living room!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-22-07, 06:56 PM
'78 Town Car....nice!

Great seats, but the seats from the 80-89 Town Car Signatures are even more plush and deep. You'll wanna sit in them both and compare them, but I think you'll agree with me. I'm a seat nut too, and I love the cushy seats, and those '80s Town Car Signature Series seats are the best seats I've ever sat in, bar none.

malcolm
07-22-07, 07:59 PM
I agree, new car, any car, seats suck. I miss the old velour seats in my Cutlass Supreme. My 05 STS seats are the worst, 3 years in this car and I still can't find a comfortable position. The seat part is too short and it cuts the circulation off in my legs mid thigh. I want a rolling sofa, screw handling and responsiveness and road feel, I want plenty of slop and float till someone gets sea sick and pukes, now that's a ride.