: 1989 Brougham D'Elegance (Opera Lights)

caddywhacker
07-20-07, 09:58 AM
I may have posted on here once before. I got this gem off of an elderly neighbor. The car is literally immaculate. 60,000 original miles, not a scratch or dent on it. When I got it, it was garage kept and I don't think it had been washed in a while. I washed it with a mitt, then I used a three step paint cleaner/wax to take out the oxidation. The thing sparkles. Better than a car with a clear coat actually. The paint literally shimmers. I had to replace the automatic radio antenna that goes up, the motor in it was bad. Nothing else needed fixed or replaced. However, like other people's cars the opera lights don't work. I remember seeing a post about the power inverter. I went to a junk yard and tried to replace it, didn't work. Of course the car I took it out of was bad. I remember seeing a place online to buy replacement inverters, does anyone know if that is still out there? I am not too mechanically inclined unfortunately, so if there is an "easy" way of getting the opera lights running, I am all ears. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Cadillac_Fan
07-20-07, 11:06 AM
Sharp Brougham. Love the d'Elegance interior and contrasting top, too.

Opera lamps are fickle - it seems the consensus is that the first thing to go on opera lamps is the electroluminescent strips which comprise the lamp, itself. I don't know what Cadillac was thinking in design of the electroluminescent lamps, especially on a 110 volt system. (I suppose it was in-line with their innovative design works.) Frankly, I wish they kept the conventional bulb type.

Occasionally some pop up on a popular auction site, yet that's a crapshoot whether they'd work or not. Good luck, and glad to know you're keeping another Brougham on the road!

93DevilleUSMC
07-20-07, 12:10 PM
Did you use Meguiar's three step? I just used it on my Deville.

caddywhacker
07-23-07, 09:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I used. The paint was reallly "dull" but after I did the 3 step it shined better than clear coat. The only thing I do is wash it and there is a product 3M makes called Imperial Hand Glaze. I use that sometimes after a wash but after I did the three step it doesnt seem like it needs another coat of polish on it. I just use the hand glaze now. Just need to get the opera lights working, that's the only thing that doesnt work.

caddywhacker
07-23-07, 09:45 AM
I had someone run an electrical test on it and they said the inverter was bad. the inverter is easy enough to replace, it's in the truck behind the cloth on the left. it's just a little green box. there is a part # on it.

BavarianSon
01-08-08, 11:02 PM
Please pass along any resource for these inverters. I have an 85 Fleetwood hearse with 2 opera lights on each side. I've tried 3 auto parts stores and Massey Cadillac here in Dallas with no luck. I have tested mine and it is bad. Would like to order a replacement if I can just find out where?
The part that I have is a small green box with a 3 pronged and 1 pronged connection. There are two sets of numbers on the part. The top row is 20213140 and underneath that is 8450D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CaddymanTom
01-09-08, 03:40 PM
Opera lamps again. OK folks this is what I am doing. I have a 1984 Olds 98 Regency Brougham that I just picked up. For those who do not know these cars have similiar but longer opera lamps between the front and rear doors. I am planning on replacing them this weekend. I have located some EL strips that I had cut to fit in the lense. I also have a replacement inverter that should work well and is a lot more reliable than the factory one. Let me see how this goes on the Olds then I will try it on my Brougham. (One of my Opera lamps still works believe it or not) I will then report my findings. If it is to my liking I will contact my supplier and see if we can get some EL strips made for our Broughams at a decent price. I will also see what kind of deal we can get on the replacement inverters. Let me know if you are interested

Thanks,
Tom
Palm Springs, CA