: '94 N* Touring coupe with PO37 code?

kls
07-19-07, 04:19 PM
:confused: I got a "service engine soon" light with I start the engine, then dims and goes off before I drive a block. So I checked for any new codes and PO37 came up as current. Does anyone know what that means? The last time I know I got the codes somehow from this site, but my brain is not working good right now, my husband just passed away on July 2. I replaced the #8 plug before this and the tip looked like it was burned off. What could have caused that, defective plug or what? Thanks ahead of time to all the guys and gals that help!!!! Kay

clarkz71
07-19-07, 06:17 PM
Code P037 is for a "shorted intake air temperature sensor" or IAT for short.
It's located in the rubber intake boot between the air filter housing and the throttle body.
I'll try and post a pic.

clarkz71
07-19-07, 06:29 PM
Here it is. Very easy to change. And sorry to hear about your husband.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/E-bay016-1.jpg

kls
07-19-07, 07:28 PM
Thanks alot, mine is not in the same place but I think I see it. I'll try later because it's about 100 degrees outside right now. I'm going to wait for it to cool down alittle. Do you have any idea why the tip would burn off a spark plug? The plug threads were black, but dry not from oil. God Bless, Kay

clarkz71
07-19-07, 07:55 PM
Your correct, 94's IAT sensor is under the intake manifold cover.

Ranger
07-19-07, 08:21 PM
Kay,
What was burned? The center (+) tip or the ground (-). How old are the plugs and what kind are they?

My condolences on the loss of your husband.

kls
07-21-07, 10:51 AM
The plugs are only one month old and are AC Delco platinum and it is the tip that you set the gap was completely burned off. Thanks Ranger for the reponse. Kay

Ranger
07-21-07, 04:35 PM
Are you talking about the electrode or the tiny platinum tip on the electrode? It would take a lot of heat to burn off the electrode and that would not be good. The platinum tips do sometimes come off. That is not a big deal. Any chance of posting a picture?

kls
07-21-07, 09:49 PM
It's the tiny platinum tip and if they sometimes come off that's good news! thanks!!!!!!! I'm going to check all the plugs tomorrow and the sensor. If the IAT sensor is bad how does that effect how the car runs? Kay

Ranger
07-21-07, 10:23 PM
Don't quote me here, but I believe the PCM will substitute a lower temperature to ensure that the engine will run, like 20 deegrees or such. It will likely run a little rich.