: Sparkling Brake Lights on 1982

Stealthmobile
07-19-07, 05:52 AM
We had a sharp looking dark blue 1982 Cadillac DeVille. When it was new it came with some kind of option that made the brake lights "sparkle" or "twinkle" when they were on. After some years, the sparkling effect quit working. The item that made it work was a small black module about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and I believe it was located in the trunk.
We just unplugged the module and the brake lights functioned normally like every other car.
My question is, does anyone know if these twinkling modules are still available, or is there something in the after-market that can be used to accomplish the same thing? I have found very little on the internet about this, figured some of you experienced Caddy owners might know what I'm talking about.
I thought it might be cool to add that sparkling effect to the brake lights on my 92 DeVille. Any ideas?

Frost
07-19-07, 08:15 AM
No idea - but would LOVE to find out what the deal is!

Cadillac_Fan
07-19-07, 10:20 AM
Appears it was likely an aftermarket add-on. Like Frost mentioned, it would be interesting to find out what the deal is.

88landyacht
07-21-07, 01:02 AM
My opinion is, that this "Twinkle" module was totally ghetto, and Highly illegal here in Minnesota, I can't remember how many people were pulled over in St Paul when I lived there a few years back, when they had them in their Olds' and pontiacs and the like..........
But if you want one, get the "clinical" name for it, and google it, and you should get some info on it...........

subysonic
07-21-07, 03:39 AM
here it is!:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003596/p-2003596/N-111+20000102+600014777/c-10111/reviewflag-1

another version with an image:

http://removabletops.com/index2.php?category=19

:thehand::thehand:

Stealthmobile
07-21-07, 06:13 AM
Ironically 88landyacht, I AM in Minnesota too, in the twin cities area. Keep in mind this option was a totally legal, factory or dealer installed option when the car was purchased brand new, and it was certainly completely legal for years after that. It seemed to be a trend at the time on some luxury cars but it wasn't all that common. Perhaps the laws changed since 1982 (it sure is possible) but I'm not sure why something like that would be considered illegal. If anything, it seemed to make people pay closer attention to the brake lights. It seemed to be a cutting edge thing at the time before the third brake lights in the back windows were introduced.
All I know is that very few people seem to remember much about the sparkling brake lights and you never see them on any cars any more so perhaps there is a reason for that.
You have a very good idea of getting the clinical name for the item -- I'll do some more inquiring about this in the next few days. If I find out anything I'll let you all know! And if anyone else out there remembers anything about this option, please chime in!

Stealthmobile
07-22-07, 03:43 PM
Wow, Subysonic, super detective work! For some reason I didn't see your post when I made the last entry.
Now we just have to make sure using something like this is legit with our local laws.