: 2000 N* is it safe to fill it with a non sinthetic oil?

ibarria
07-17-07, 10:43 PM
It uses more than 1quart every 1k miles, and at $6 bucks sinthetic, I was thinking about switching to a non synthetic oil.. maybe a synthetic blend?
what would be the best recomendation from you guys?
also, switching from 5-30 to a higher grade like 10-40 or 10-30 would help with the oil burning consumption?
thank you.

caddydaddy
07-17-07, 11:02 PM
Cadillac recommends regular oil for the Northstar engines. The only ones that it recommends synthetic is for the VVT engines.

AJxtcman
07-17-07, 11:05 PM
Subject: Gasoline Engine Maintenance Information - American Petroleum Institute GF-4 Oil - All 05 General Motors Cars and Light Duty Trucks with Gasoline Engines - kw API change filter lubrication #PIP3186 - (10/13/2004)

Models: .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may have questions regarding a new gasoline engine oil standard, GF-4.

Recommendation/Instructions:
GF-4 is an industry test standard for gasoline engine oils that stands for "Gasoline Fueled - 4". GF-1 test standards were implemented in 1993 and GF-4 test standards will take the place of the current GF-3 test standards on April 30, 2005. GF-4 oils meet a higher test standard to provide improved deposit protection, oxidation resistance, fuel economy, oil life and catalyst protection. At this time, AC Delco Oils that are sold in Canada already meet GF-4 quality standards while AC Delco Oils sold in the U.S.A. should meet GF-4 quality standards by the end of 2004. General Motors Engine Assembly Plants are in the process of converting to oils that meet GF-4 quality standards. Some of the major oil companies have already upgraded their 5W-30 oil to meet GF-4 quality standards but some 10W-30 oils may not be upgraded until April of 2005. The whole oil industry is scheduled to meet GF-4 oil standards by April 30, 2005.

The change from GF-3 to GF-4 quality standards should be transparent to our customers since the owner's manual oil recommendation will continue to recommend the use of oil with the API (American Petroleum Institute) "Starburst" symbol. GM owner's manuals have recommended using oils with the API "Starburst" symbol since the early 1990s and will continue to do so once GF-4 has been implemented. To determine how to identify the API "Starburst" symbol, please refer to the owner's manual of the vehicle. Oils that are manufactured after April 30, 2005 with the API "Starburst" symbol, will meet GF-4 quality standards. Oils that contain the API "Starburst" symbol that are manufactured before this date, may meet GF-3 or GF-4 quality standards depending on the oil manufacturer. Starting on April 30, 2005, all 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils with the "Starburst" symbol will automatically meet the GF-4 quality standard and have an API rating of SM. Note: GF-4 oils can be used in older vehicles where GF-3 or earlier quality standard oils were used. The oils can also be mixed with each other.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(05 General Motors Cars with a Gasoline Engine) and (05 General Motors Trucks with a Gasoline Engine)

return to Table of Contents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM Approved Engine Oils Update

An updated version of the GM6094M Approved Engine Oils list is available in the Reference Guide section of the TechLink website. GM has recently conducted a test program to check several of the oils on the Approved Oils list for compliance with the GM6094M specification. One of the oils tested during this program, Castrol GTX, was found not to meet the GM6094M specification, and so this oil has been removed from the Approved Oils list.

Watch for further updates to the GM6094M and GM4718M Approved Products list on the GM Techlink website.

ibarria
07-18-07, 12:19 AM
The engine and the manual states that Synthetic oil is required..
if I switch to non synthetic.. what would be the best?
motorcraft semi is cheap..
and thanks for your prompt responses...

caddydaddy
07-18-07, 07:17 AM

Neither the engine or the manual states you must use synthetic oil on a 2000 Northstar. What page are you reading that in the manual?

codewize
07-18-07, 10:29 AM
Where are you reading that because unless it's a new VVT Northstar, that information is incorrect. Show us please. Additionally, more than 1 qt per 1000 miles is out of spec and the leak should be repaired.

10W-30 is the recomened weight. 5W-30 if you're in sustained temps below 0 degrees F. Do Not use 10W-40

jadcock
07-18-07, 10:53 AM
Synthetic oil is NOT required for your engine, unless it's in a RWD car (like an XLR or SRX or new STS).

What year is your car/engine?

93-99, use 10W-30.
00+ (FWD), use 5W-30.

Brand of oil is your choice. Doesn't matter. All are fine. Most people do NOT use synthetic oils in their engines. And most run fine for hundreds of thousands of miles.

eldorado1
07-18-07, 11:16 AM
Rotella T synthetic is $15 a gallon. (3 and change a quart)

fpmesiIII
07-18-07, 11:23 AM
if you have been putting in synthetic oil can you switch back to conventional oil without harming the engine?

Ranger
07-18-07, 11:59 AM
You'll be fine with 10W30. That is all I use. Everyone else has already addressed the synthetic issue.

ibarria
07-18-07, 12:46 PM
The car just turned 100k, how about 10-30 semi-syn Valvoline High mileage?

clarkz71
07-18-07, 12:57 PM
One of the oils tested during this program, Castrol GTX, was found not to meet the GM6094M specification, and so this oil has been removed from the Approved Oils list.

Brand of oil is your choice. Doesn't matter. All are fine. Most people do NOT use synthetic oils in their engines. And most run fine for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Except for Castrol GTX

ibarria
07-18-07, 01:12 PM
What list? do you know the names of all brands in that list?

thanks

codewize
07-18-07, 01:27 PM
Me too. 5W-30 is only necessary if you're in sub zero for long periods of time.

You'll be fine with 10W30. That is all I use. Everyone else has already addressed the synthetic issue.

AJxtcman
07-18-07, 02:19 PM
LIST
http://pangea.stanford.edu/~schmitt/car/synthgd.pdf

eldorado1
07-18-07, 03:52 PM
The irony is they are all ILSAC oils, which may (or may not) damage early 93-99 engines.

jadcock
07-18-07, 04:02 PM
Me too. 5W-30 is only necessary if you're in sub zero for long periods of time.

I agree, I'm just listing what Cadillac recommends (since that seemed to get confused earlier in this thread).

I'm using Shell Rotella 10W-30 in mine right now.

jadcock
07-18-07, 04:04 PM
LIST
http://pangea.stanford.edu/~schmitt/car/synthgd.pdf

Does that list need updating? Apparently Castrol GTX is not GM-approved, but that list indicates that it is?

Interesting that at least one major brand (Valvoline) is not on there, but the Wal-Mart SuperTech, which has long been thought to be Ashland oil (the maker of Valvoline), is.

clarkz71
07-18-07, 04:06 PM
I'm using Shell Rotella 10W-30 in mine right now.

Me too.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/Rotella10W-30.jpg

jadcock
07-18-07, 04:07 PM
Edit: this is apparently a more updated list, and both the Castrol GTX and Valvoline products appear as "approved":

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/GM_Engine_Oil_Approvals_v2.ppt

AJxtcman
07-18-07, 04:31 PM
Edit: this is apparently a more updated list, and both the Castrol GTX and Valvoline products appear as "approved":

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/GM_Engine_Oil_Approvals_v2.ppt

Old list, but the new one will not open. The link is bad.

codewize
07-18-07, 05:36 PM
Please, we don't need another 7000 page oil thread.

fubar569
07-18-07, 07:33 PM

W3rd!

for what it's worth...i use walmart oil in mine...full synth, in 10w30...and i havent blown up yet...motor seems to really like it...however i do top off with good ol' kendall diesel 15w40 to give the motor all the ZDDP it needs to survive

eventually, i think shell rotella might be an option...if it lasts that long...kinda broke right now...

clarkz71
07-18-07, 07:43 PM
I have to mention Havoline oil, for MugsANDLuke.:stirpot:

AJxtcman
07-18-07, 09:53 PM
http://216.182.211.32/techlink/images/issues/ref_gds/oilrequirements.pdf
This link is a little more current.

ibarria
07-18-07, 11:43 PM
I cant believe that motorcraft is not in the list, but warren and coastal are. Incredible.

jadcock
07-19-07, 08:27 AM

Wait, wait, this appears to be a good one though. It hasn't turned into a pissing contest, yet.

wsolman
07-19-07, 08:31 PM
I cant believe that motorcraft is not in the list, but warren and coastal are. Incredible.
I think Motorcraft is a Ford brand, kinda like GM has Delco.
Can't see GM recommending that.

jadcock
07-20-07, 02:05 PM
As a side note, does anyone happen to know who bottles the ACDelco or GM Goodwrench oils? I'm sure it changes yearly...you probably never get the same oil in those bottles...

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
07-21-07, 02:49 AM
Who carries rotella T 10w-30? I have looked for it in the past, but have not been able to find it. So I have been using Mobil 1 high mileage at four bucks a quart.

AJxtcman
07-21-07, 12:38 PM
Some quick thing to think about.
Does every one know oil pressure is BAD?
Does every one know that the W stands for?
Are you aware of 0W-20 is standard in some cars?
GM is using 0W-30 Mobil ONE.
0W-30 will add benefits of cooler engine temps, free flowing, and has better performance though out it life compared to thicker oils.
I have read about a 3.6L making 10psi of pressure in the oil system with no oil in it. They drained the oil and it still made 10 psi and that will turn off the low oil pressure light.
Does every one know what ILSAC stand for?
VVT and DOD/Active Fuel management need higher oil pressure.
DOD runs 55-75 psig Maximum.
Oil pressure can rob horse power, Too much oil pressure can spin bearings, Too much oil pressure can hold valves open, An engine need a large amount of oil circulating (volume) not high pressure. Example: Dry sumps in the Z06 and the 4T80E trans. They both hold a lot of oil.
The W stands for WINTER not weight.
Honda's and Daimler-Chrysler's use 0W-20
GM uses 0W-30 in Saab's and ??
ILSAC stands for International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee
DOD runs 55-75 psig Maximum.
VVT Hmmm?

Ranger
07-21-07, 05:45 PM
Who carries rotella T 10w-30?
I think I remember someone saying that Murrays carries it.

clarkz71
07-21-07, 07:21 PM
Who carries rotella T 10w-30? I have looked for it in the past, but have not been able to find it. So I have been using Mobil 1 high mileage at four bucks a quart.

O'Rielly's, any place that has 15/40 Rotella can order a case of 10/30 if they don't stock it.