: Maintence Question

Number 3
07-17-07, 10:19 PM
I had to get my battery changed today and the dealer mentioned I should get my tranny flushed and rear dif fluid changed. I was wondering if it was needed?? My car is an '05 with 36k on it! Thanx!

rb92gt
07-17-07, 10:59 PM
If your rear diff is not leaking, I wouldn't let anyone touch it! I get my rear diff fluid changed under warranty every 4-6 months... because my diff keeps leaking and they keep having to replace seals, vent tubes... yada yada for the love of...!!! It is actually funny to me now.

dkozloski
07-17-07, 11:09 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#transflush
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#transfluid

Curious George
07-18-07, 04:42 PM
Cadillac recommends transmission fluid replacement at 100K miles (50K under severe driving conditions), and is silent on differential oil replacement (Binky Bear's advice is sound). Your dealer is recommending a wallet flush.

Skibanker
07-18-07, 08:59 PM
Clearly, whoever wrote the FAQ referred to by Binky has a problem with tranny flushes. But, this begs the question as to who wrote the article? So, who wrote all that stuff in the FAQ? Was it a GM mechanic or an opinionated amateur (like me)?

dkozloski
07-18-07, 10:17 PM
Clearly, whoever wrote the FAQ referred to by Binky has a problem with tranny flushes. But, this begs the question as to who wrote the article? So, who wrote all that stuff in the FAQ? Was it a GM mechanic or an opinionated amateur (like me)?
A large part of the material was written by a GM Powerplant engineer that was a member of the Northstar design team. He had access to all the GM engineers and was able to provide definitive answers to nearly any technical question. The man had one attribute that is very uncommon in the automotive world, integrity. I am a born sceptic and I'm ready to believe just about anything the man had to say. Every statement he made was thoroughly researched. FWIW, I know his name and a little of his history. There are others on this forum that were familiar with him as well. He ran afoul of GM management by giving advice and answers to technical issues that were at odds with official channels. He does still visit from time to time but is very subdued.

Number 3
07-20-07, 02:51 PM
Thanx! I thought they were tryin to do that to me so I politely declined.