: How to hotwire a 84 Fleetwood Coupe.... no im not stealing it

1990CaddyBrougham
07-17-07, 07:46 PM
Im going to look at a "mint" fleetwood Coupe tomorrow. Here is the deal, soome 88 year old man owned it, and garaged it in a rented garage. He became wheel chair bound and stoped driving... Died... cars sittin in this gararge and the guy that owns the house/ garage doesnt want the car. Has no keys, title (mass is a title state) and doesnt know if it runs..

he wants 600 for this "mint" car.... but wiht no keys and not knowing if it runs its only worth, o id say 150$ in my eyes.

Any way i could hot wire this badd ass whip to get in on the trailer, and or to see if it does run.

Thanks.
Me

Benzilla
07-17-07, 08:12 PM
Look near the ignition or under the dash for two red wires, if you don't find two red ones, just find two that match. Cross them and if all goes right, you'll be off :)

Keep us updated!

FASSTWOOD
07-17-07, 11:50 PM
its not 2 reds. You need to locate the ignition harness at the base of the column. -you need to power up the pink wire. the thick red wire is constant 12v so you can use that. then you need to power up the purple wire to crank the car. once the cars starts then you remove the power from the purple wire. You still wont able to drive out because the column will still be locked... HTH

1990CaddyBrougham
07-18-07, 08:24 PM
Well i went and looked at it. I dont know where to start. Car sat in a single car garage. COVERED in dust/ dirt. Looked like one of them "barn" finds... I think it was black wiht black leather. I knew we had no keys to start it, i didnt know the doors were locked. lol. It was a Delegance, wiht the 4/6/8 ( is that still a 4100??) so i couldnt even get in it. Apparently this old man had a few other cars, a 80's eldorado, a old lincoln continental convertible, and one of the old 80;s caddys with the dual wheels on the fenders. They "gave" those away, but wanted 600 for this charm. It wasnt mint, but nice, from what i could see. I told him it was worthless and just good for scrap. Got him to 400, told him hes still crazy and to call me when he wants it gone. I wouldnt even know hot to get it out. Its locked backed into a garage, followed by a narrow driveway on a one way street. So my car trailer and truck probably wouldnt work. I could get go-jacks to get the back wheels rolling, but it be alot of work.

Im going to call him friday and offer 150 and ill come haul it away. The dad wants it gone and doenst care wtf happens to it, kid just wants to make a quick buck.

So i didnt even get to hotwire it. lol.

Ill keep you updated.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-07, 08:29 PM
You told the old man that his 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, which is a triple black d'Elegance was worthless, and that you wouldn't pay $600 for it?

Wow.

brougham_geezer
07-18-07, 09:51 PM
Grab this one buddy. Might be a bit of work, but I think you might be kicking yourself later if you don't! If the car is a V-8-6-4 it's not a 4100. It has the big block 368. Good motor if changed to work as a standard V8, which may have already been done. I second the 'keep us updated' bit and get some pictures up eventually if you can! :thumbsup:

Cadillac_Fan
07-18-07, 10:34 PM
You told the old man that his 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, which is a triple black d'Elegance was worthless, and that you wouldn't pay $600 for it?

Wow.

Yeah, I agree with you Chad. Not to be sanctimonious, but $600 sounds like a square deal even if that car does not have the title. The missing ignition/door keys is a royal pain, but really $600 would be a decent buy, and $400 would be a steal in my unsolicited opinion.

Besides that, even if the door was to unlocked, would the guy let him crack open the steering column to hotwire the ignition? Not likely. (I can just see the BCM, relays, and computers fried with the smell of hot electrical ozone in the air.)

96BIG_BODY
07-19-07, 02:02 PM
post pics of it:D

arnauts
07-19-07, 05:37 PM
Trying to hotwire it is ridiculous, are you going to do that every time you want to drive it? Get a locksmith out, and he'll make a door and ignition key for you. Takes less than an hour. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run, I had it done once. Please don't go and start breaking things/crossing wires.

1990CaddyBrougham
07-19-07, 10:12 PM
I think you guys misunderstood me.... they 88 year old owner has been dead for 3 years. This car is sitting in someones garage that he rented. These people dont care at all, just want it gone. Will prob junk it, like the other 4 caddys he had. The son to the owner of the house/garage wants to make a qucik buck, and the dad just "wants it the **** outta his garage" so he said. So i didnt insult the "owner" of the car. These people dont care. Im going to call tomorrow and see if the kid re-evaluated his asking price. Ill keep you all posted.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-07, 10:34 PM
Oh, that's different then. If they're gonna junk it go bottom dollar. Anything is a profit for them in that case.

Cadillac_Fan
07-20-07, 03:33 PM
I concur, and hopefully I didn't suggest in my post that you were trying to be unfair with the selller. Without a title, keys, etc., it is going to entail a little work, time and resources to get things in order. That said, I hope you get it for a song, and then post pics for us! (It sounds like you'd be doing them a favor by getting it off their property.)

1990CaddyBrougham
07-20-07, 09:46 PM
I called back and this kid pissed me right off. I offered him $200 for it, he accepted that, but "just wait till sunday, i have another guy intrested, if he doesnt beat 200 you can have it"..... OOOooOoo that got me steamed. I told him whatever and to let me know. I was BS..

So if i get a call sunday and this guy A didnt show, or B wasnt intrested, im gona get this (*&#$ kid good..... Sunday it would only be worht 100$ to me, not 2...

Kid is a bad salesman. Either accept and i buy the car, or not. Dont ####ing BS me like that..... ooooooo GRRRRRR

But whatever.... its no loss if someone else buys it..

Highway Star
07-20-07, 10:23 PM
Darn kid... :mob:

dkozloski
07-20-07, 11:19 PM
Until the first guy waving $100 bills shows up it's for sale in my book. Anything said over the phone is a rumor. When you're selling old cars there are a hundred tire kickers getting in the way. If you want the car hand him the money, otherwise you're just background noise in the dealing.

z06bigbird
07-20-07, 11:55 PM
When I was growing up, I always wanted to be a car thief. Now that I read some of these posts, I have changed my mind because I am color blind.

But that is good. I don't like jobs that take too much effort.

Red_October_7000
07-21-07, 03:27 AM
Hey CaddyBrougham.. is the one "With the extra wheels on the side" perhaps a white 84 with a stainless steel roof? There was one sitting behind Williams Auto-Electric for ages, I was offered it for free by Rich Williams himself before it turned out he didn't own it and, apparently, neither did anyone else. When I tracked down the guy who did, it had a weird story, no keys, no title, and the dude wanted money. I let it sit, and it eventually dissapeared. The dude selling it was a propper ass-face, he wanted money for it and told me it was "Real easy" to get a title on it (HA!).

Stealthmobile
07-21-07, 05:29 AM
I totally agree with arnauts. Get a locksmith, they should be able to get the ignition and door open easily, no muss no fuss, and then you have the problem solved. If you need to have the car out of there first, have someone tow it on a flatbed. Make sure they know what kind of car they'll be dealing with first to make sure their equipment can handle it. I believe they can just winch the mothereffer out of the garage and right up onto the bed, even in park. It might not be so good for the tires, but they're probably old any way, right? The only thing I'd be a little concerned about is the title, and you probably should find out from your state licence place what is required to title a car in this situation. Without a real title, insurance, license plates, etc is probably a pain. Good luck, sounds like a sweet deal.

jayoldschool
07-21-07, 10:05 PM
If you take the VIN to a dealer, they can cut keys for you. Also, I would bet that if you get the door open (use a coat hanger), the original key blanks will be in the owners booklet in the glove compartment...

Once you get it, want to trade for my white on blue 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe? I like black:thumbsup:

The Ape Man
07-22-07, 08:36 AM
If that car is rust free where the body meets the vinly top underneath the trim AND it has no waves or dimples in the flat part of the rear quarter panels just below the top corner, it is golden. Get it. There are speciality custom shops who build using only this body style. I sold a bunch of my spare Fleetwood Coupe parts to a guy from Detroit who sent a couple NBA stars out here to pick it all up. You can't go wrong if the car is decent. Many states allow to re-issue lost titles. Probably all on the internet. Tell 'em you party with Ted Kennedy.

rstinnett
07-22-07, 10:02 AM
The problem is, as I have found out on occassion, is when you find something in good condition, grab it. You never know when someone else is going to come along and offer $1 more and it's gone. The kid may not be BSing as there may be another guy who knows the value of thise ride as well and is going to scoop it up for next to nothing.

96BIG_BODY
07-22-07, 05:53 PM
so what happened

CaddyshackCadillac
07-28-07, 10:24 AM
hey give me the number for 400 ill run over there cal a locksmith pour some gas down the carb and get to rumbling home i been looking for a 2 dr coupe as is...

dkozloski
07-28-07, 03:37 PM
All it takes to get a title for an a car with a questioned title around here is to post a bond to indemnify the original owner if he shows up wanting his car back. If the car is a junker with no value you don't even have to do that. It's a simple, common sense, process. A company I worked for bought a business that had changed hands several times and various vehicles had become orphans with untransferred and lost titles. A half a day at the DMV and it was all straightened out.

Jonas McFeely
07-28-07, 03:58 PM
Cheapskate people like you really piss me off. That car could potentially be worth thousands. Buy the damn car or shut the fukc up. Seriously.

Hotwire? Youre a car enthusiast? Come on...

8/6/4 = 4100? Youre a Caddy enthusiast?

Youre a joke.

CaddyshackCadillac
07-28-07, 04:17 PM
lol who pissed on your sage green caddy lol just reading that cracked me up but i agree completely just give me the number and ill gladly take it off there hands for there asking price.

Jonas McFeely
07-28-07, 04:25 PM
lol who pissed on your sage green caddy lol just reading that cracked me up but i agree completely just give me the number and ill gladly take it off there hands for there asking price.

I never get like that. I hold my fingers all the time on here, but i couldnt hold back on that. If i lived near there i would be MORE than happy to pay the asking price. You can get around the title thing, there are many ways to do it.

1990CaddyBrougham
08-21-07, 10:20 PM
well jonas, this ****in "cheapskate joke" who didnt want to pay 400 for a for a 23 year old, locked car, with no keys, title. I dont know if it runs, miles.... I tracked the guy down today, and i just snaged the car for free. So this ****in cheapskate joke ended up working out.

Speaking of that, hows that Wicked rare 1 of 55 sage green coupe workin out? If its so RARE, why are you being a "****ing cheapskate joke" and only want to pay $1000-1500 for it??? Its so rare, and you want it so bad???? Plus its got keys and a title, runs.....

cadydaddy
08-22-07, 01:22 AM
WOW, Strong anger.

Well, post pics of it at least.

BRICKS
08-22-07, 05:38 AM
lol. post some pics. im tryna see whats so valuable yet given away for free. shit i cant even get a 77-79 thats falling apart with rust holes for that price!

jayoldschool
08-22-07, 10:20 AM
well jonas, this ****in "cheapskate joke" who didnt want to pay 400 for a for a 23 year old, locked car, with no keys, title. I dont know if it runs, miles.... I tracked the guy down today, and i just snaged the car for free. So this ****in cheapskate joke ended up working out.

Speaking of that, hows that Wicked rare 1 of 55 sage green coupe workin out? If its so RARE, why are you being a "****ing cheapskate joke" and only want to pay $1000-1500 for it??? Its so rare, and you want it so bad???? Plus its got keys and a title, runs.....

ZING! People in glass houses... lol :stirpot:

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics and hear the stories of getting the title and getting it running.

z06bigbird
08-22-07, 10:55 AM
Look near the ignition or under the dash for two red wires, if you don't find two red ones, just find two that match. Cross them and if all goes right, you'll be off :)

Keep us updated!

No one in their right mind would steal an 84. You don't think we are stupid, do you?? Well, most of us ain't.

bicentennialcadillac
08-22-07, 05:06 PM
No one in their right mind would steal an 84. You don't think we are stupid, do you?? Well, most of us ain't.

WTF?

Jonas McFeely
08-22-07, 08:54 PM

Youre still a cheapskate and still a joke. Just because you got a car for free doesnt change that.

The "wicked rare" Sage coupe was beat all to hell and back and would have required thousands upon thousands to get anywhere near to restored. That car was almost too far gone. And the guy wouldnt budge past $2000, he said otherwise, but when itg came down to it, he was just talking.

I would have loved to have been able to buy that car. I didnt and dont have the financial means to. It was also nearly 3000 miles away.

The coupe you are talking about has wayyy more potential to get running and fix up than that sage coupe did. And to the average Caddy enthusiast, the better condition, less rare coupe is far more appealing. Im just a sick fukc and get hard at the thought of sage green paint.

Youre still a joke. And a cheapskate.

Highway Star
08-22-07, 09:44 PM
:pop2:

Ryan T
08-23-07, 12:03 AM
Jonas..... are you for real?

Don't be jealous that you haven't been lucky enough to find a good or free car. You don't have two thousand dollars to spend on these wicked rare cars???? Who's the joke again? People who have nothing shouldn't be so critical of others who do.

Jonas McFeely
08-23-07, 01:40 AM
Jonas..... are you for real?

Don't be jealous that you haven't been lucky enough to find a good or free car. You don't have two thousand dollars to spend on these wicked rare cars???? Who's the joke again? People who have nothing shouldn't be so critical of others who do.

Listen here dick snot, i could never and will never be jealous of some cum stain like 1990caddybrougham or you. I have found many good deals and continue to find them. I just bought a '68 Deville thats runs pretty good, but needs work, but i only paid $500 for it. Ever hear of a better deal than that?

Your boy 1990caddybrougham is a joke because he doesnt know dick about Cadillacs and calls himself an enthusiast. He is a cheapskate because hes trying to low-ball someone for no reason. There are times when you just pay for things because they are worth what they are.

Yeah, i dont have $2000 to drop on a rare car that i am obsessed with. What is wrong with that? I havnt been dealt the best hand in life and i deal with it the best i can. My bad for expessing my opinion on how much a car means to me.

I have nothing you say? I have a fairly rare '85 Brougham, a '68 Sedan Deville, and an '88 Brougham. None of which are in perfect or mint condition. All of them are works in process. They are my passion, and i love them.

I also have a ton of friends who love and care about me, a best friend that means the world to me, a father that loves me and helps me out, and an overall good life. I have allot. I have more than most people. Money and possessions arnt shit when you dont have people that love and care about you to back it up.

You sir, are just some snotty punk piece of shit.

Ryan T
08-23-07, 02:24 AM
you got any more intelligent things to say tonight?

whatever bro.....your a ****ing idiot. I've read threw a couple of your past threads and confirmed my suspicions. You have a case of keyboard courage big time, I can assure you that you would NEVER talk to me like that face to face.

Take you uneducated self and all three SHIT BOX thousand dollar beater caddys and stfu Iím done responding to your retardedness

Jonas McFeely
08-23-07, 02:46 AM
you got any more intelligent things to say tonight?

whatever bro.....your a ****ing idiot. I've read threw a couple of your past threads and confirmed my suspicions. You have a case of keyboard courage big time, I can assure you that you would NEVER talk to me like that face to face.

Take you uneducated self and all three SHIT BOX thousand dollar beater caddys and stfu Iím done responding to your retardedness

Laugh out loud. Re-read your post and call me uneducated. Your whole post is chalk-full of grammatical errors.

Keyboard courage? Why whatever do you mean?

At least i have 3 "shit box" Cadillacs. I love them. They are mine, and they are great.

I wouldnt say that to your face huh? Easy to say that on the internet buddy. Come to Orlando and see whats up. Im '6 3'', 300lbs and would wreck your ass. Come get at me buddy. 407 446 0656 Evergreenbrougham@hotmail.com.

Or talk your ass off. Like youre doing. This is an internet forum. Talk all the shit you want to. Or come get at me and back it up.

Grow up buddy.

1990CaddyBrougham
08-23-07, 12:05 PM
Ooooo ... I love it.

Go fix you're grille or something, or go on for a few more pages on your post about that Sage green coupe, and how you cant afford it now, and apparently like you said above could have never anyways... or do one better and shut the **** up.

For everyone else, I plan on picking the FREE FWB this weekend, when I get some time. So I will have pictures then. I have been busy finishing a frame on restoration of my 1957 Chevy Belair (pics will come when its done)

""At least i have 3 "shit box" Cadillacs. I love them. They are mine, and they are great.""

Just because its sage green, doesnt mean its great.

Jonas McFeely
08-23-07, 02:26 PM
Ooooo ... I love it.

Go fix you're grille or something, or go on for a few more pages on your post about that Sage green coupe, and how you cant afford it now, and apparently like you said above could have never anyways... or do one better and shut the **** up.

For everyone else, I plan on picking the FREE FWB this weekend, when I get some time. So I will have pictures then. I have been busy finishing a frame on restoration of my 1957 Chevy Belair (pics will come when its done)

""At least i have 3 "shit box" Cadillacs. I love them. They are mine, and they are great.""

Just because its sage green, doesnt mean its great.

You just proved my point right there. You sound like a snotty, stuck up, punk 18 year old kid. Point proven.

My SAGE GREEN Brougham is great. I love it, as well as my '68, i could care less about the '88. You love your cars right? I didnt attack your cars. I attacked your character and lack of knowledge. Leave the cars out of it.

BRICKS
08-23-07, 03:26 PM
dont know why a persons financial status matters in any arguement. i myself dont have 2g's for a car so the fact someone is talkin shit about someones unfortunate financial situation is in itself childish. sounds worse then highschool... 1 kid has the new jordans, 1 doesnt, so the 1 that does picks on the other because he cant afford them? grow up.

1990CaddyBrougham
08-23-07, 05:55 PM
[quote=Jonas McFeely;1188624]You just proved my point right there. You sound like a snotty, stuck up, punk 18 year old kid. Point proven.
quote]

Id like to know what makes you think that. Im anything but. Im a self made person, Buying and selling cars, parting them, fixing them all got me where I am. Big into ebay.. I bought my 120" TC Limousine cash, by myself, My Cadillac, my classic chevy, and the other 12 Fleetwoods, and Coupes i had in the past. If i was stuck up i wouldnt have all that, if i was a punk i wouldnt be as smart as i am with it. You should meet me before you make that jugement.

What i still dont get is how all this started. Just think of it. I looked at a old cadillac sitting in a garage. No keys, no title. The people who owned the garage just wanted it gone, the son wanting to make a quick buck thought he could sell it
. What would you have done? Paid 600 for a car that you never heard run, dont have a title too, keys, or know a damn thing about, especially when I knew the dad just wanted it gone. I offerd him $200, so he could still make money and id get the car. He accepted, but wanted to see if the otehr guy would give him just a buck more... SO i didnt drop the 600 for it, I took a "risk", yes it could have got sold to someone else... or junked. It paid off. What would you have done? If anyone with half a brain cell in buying and selling cars were in my position they would have done the same thing. I didnt need the car.... These people didnt know a ****ing thing about the car, or care. You wouldnt have tried to get it cheaper? Honestly.....

Now look at your sitiuation, you are looking at this Green coupe... You want it, and know its nowhere near worth what he is asking. He wanted what 2500? You wanted it, but as cheap as you can get it for... Offering less.... Would you call yourself a "cheapskate"?? Think about it. No, your just a normal guy like anyone else. We have a love for a similar cars. Were in very similar situations.... Id be doing the same thing, telling him it needs alot of work, and that you dont want any of the lowrider hardware... and id want it for as cheap as i can get it... isnt everyone like that?

AM I ****ING WRONG HERE PEOPLE????

If you want to come out calling me a joke.... because i dont know how to start a 84 cadillac without a key, or not knowing a 4-6-8 wasnt a 4100... Isnt that what we are all here for, to learn, and ask questions and help eachother out? There are alot of VERY smart people on this board, many in this particular board... Does this make the other 75% of the people who ask the questions instead of answer them make them jokes, and not worthy of being a part of this board. Or if they dont have 2100 posts, or knows a cadillacs every nut and bolt. Are they all jokes?

HOW ABOUT NOW, AM I WRONG HERE PEOPLE?

If i have to read up on a service manual everynight, and live breath and talk cadillac and know every damn ****ing fact about a Cadillac, like apparently you do, i will end my membership now. And if thats how it really is, that other 75% of the "jokes" would have to do the same... Then what would Happen.....

Id like to hear what others have to say, about what i just posted in this post...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-23-07, 07:07 PM
Damn, I missed out on all of this?! Where was I last night?! Oh that's right, getting into the same shit with Florian over on the lounge.

Jonas McFeely
08-23-07, 07:26 PM
I guess im just a miserable prick. You win.

1990CaddyBrougham
08-27-07, 08:47 PM
Well its here.... :cool2: 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Delegance Coupe :elvis2:. Its Definatly tripple black. Odometer says 86,XXX. I still cant get the doors open, as while trying the door handle push buttons jambed in, so i sprayed some WD40 in and gona let em soak in and see where i get tomorrow.

blew up one tire and unhooked the tranny linkage and manually put in in "N"

Rolled right out.. and winched right up the trailer. :dance:

And best parts that 4-6-8. 6.0 4 barrel...... A HT4100 would give me nightmares.

Last inspection sticker ran up in 1999.... :arghh:

It was too dark when i got home, pics will come tomorrow....

My_favorite_Brougham
08-28-07, 10:20 AM
IIRC, the 1981 8-6-4 was an fuel injected engine. In '80 they were carb'd.

Oh, and lets just remember the phrase, "Welcome to the forum of Gentlemen, Gentlemen." So let's try and not let our stresses blow up here; be mature. I know that I am truly shocked Cadillac people would even think of talking trash the way this thread has been lately. And the moderators aren't doing a thing to stop it; even egging it on. It is an embaressment to the forums and the Cadillac Community! Grow up - all of you!

jayoldschool
08-28-07, 11:10 AM
Congrats! Same year as mine. Definitely computer-controlled, DFI. I have the FSM and the Fisher body manual, so if you need info, just LMK!

You should be able to unlock it with a coat hanger so you can get inside. Just grab the back corner of the door top (window) and flex it back (it can bend a lot with no problem). You will then have enough space to get the coat hanger in to snag the lock button. You need to cut the hook off a coat hanger, then straighten, then make a loop (about 1/2") at one end. It will help to have one person pull on the window frame while the other works the coat hanger.

Once you have it open, you can just pull the lock cylinders and get them re-keyed. Try the dealer, though. They might be able to get you new keys.

Jason.