Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1981 Fleetwood Coupe

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  CaddyshackCadillac 
#1 ·
we got the car yesterday and we were checking what all works and what doesnt, well the power door locks dont work and the reclining tilt for the drvier seat dont work either. i was hopping if anyone in here could help us out what the problem might be thanks.

#2 ·
the power door lock relay is located in the right side kick panel you might want to start there to see if its getting power. the seat motor might just be old since its the only one not working. play with the switch. sometimes it could just be a dirty contact in there...

#5 ·
The front 'tilt' portion of my driver seat would not move, so I took the seat transmission unit out, cleaned/removed all the old grease and re-lubed it and it works like a charm. One of the plastic gears had seized on the metal shaft causing the problem (the original grease had hardened). Are you getting power when you select the tilt mode?

#8 · (Edited)
No, my switch was fine. What I removed was the plastic seat transmission assembly that is mounted under the seat. It has several cables attached to it and a few electrical connections. They're kinda a pain in the *ss to take out, so if you're not handy with working on something like that you may have to take it to a mechanic.

Can you hear the seat motor run when you press the switch for tilt mode? You need to rule out an electrical problem before dealing with the seat transmission unit.

#9 ·
Power door locks are powered thru a yellow 20 amp fuse labled "room" or "courtesy" ( csty) I believe in the main fuse box. That same fuse powers the cigarette lighters as well. I've seen pennys, dimes, tin foil etc. in lighter sockets pop the fuse. Look at all 3 lighters for anything other than ashes under the lighter. If all that is fine I've seen the wiring where it passes from the body into the door break after years of opening/closing the driver door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.