: I'll be a basket case for about a week.

Benzilla
07-17-07, 08:13 AM
Just dropped the Phaeton off at the paint shop. It'll be about 7-10 days. Except I probably will go in every couple days to see progress. I don't know what to do with my self, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Oh, and to the members who detest the "Classic Cadillac" grille, it's off now, never to return. So I drove her to the shop with no teeth. The new one will be put on after paint. I also got new lower grille pieces in much better shape to match it.

So, even seen a Phaeton with it's teeth out?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1401.jpg

Here you can see how the old paint that was under the grille looked, because it was put on when new, the paint never saw sun. Also you can see the line of silicon that some moron used to seal the edges of the grille.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1402.jpg

I'll keep you updated when I know more. I'm hyper as hell, I feel like I just had 12 cups of coffee.:bouncy:

Ben.

Frost
07-17-07, 09:10 AM
I know that feeling, Ben - I was on pins and needles while waiting for the reapaint of my '72 Mustang showcar (pic attached). Went to the shop EVERY day after work to look over progress, even helped out with some of the block sanding. Had an apprentice doing the dog-work (removing bumpers, emblems, etc.) and he and I were a great team!

Believe me, on the day you finally go to pick her up, it WILL seem like Christmas. I went in the day she got painted up and those fumes nearly knocked me on my ass - acrylic enamel, btw. but there she stood; all clean and very, very shiny!!

In a way I'm jealous of you Ben - you're in for a real treat!!!

lochenjons
07-17-07, 11:48 AM
i love painting! ive never had that happen, but painting my suburban was a blast. cant wait to see the pictures dude! post them up as soon as u get the ol girl back

77CDV
07-17-07, 12:00 PM
Exciting, isn't it?:)

arnauts
07-17-07, 01:47 PM
I can't wait to get my Pontiac into the paintshop, the quick rust-oleum job I slapped on it isn't going to last. But I guess I'll need to finish building the engine before I can drive it to a paint shop :)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/Lithaine/Pontiac%20radio/frontal.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/Lithaine/Pontiac%20radio/side.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/Lithaine/Pontiac%20radio/Parisienne1.jpg

I can never decide which project to go after, so I just go after all three at once :crybaby:

Highway Star
07-17-07, 01:58 PM
It'll go by in no time, especially if you stay busy. Good to see you're going back with the stock grille assembly.

Benzilla
07-17-07, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the consolation, guys. I just got back from visiting it, the rear bumper & side trim were off, it was weird to see it like that, but I'm so glad it's getting done right once and for all. There were so many little botched ding repairs it was sad.

Nice Mustang, Frost, gotta love that crisp white.

arnauts, mean Pontiac, '67?

arnauts
07-17-07, 02:03 PM
Close - '68.

Brother_B
07-17-07, 07:55 PM
Ben, I am assuming you went all out for this paint job, and are getting it done right, by a reputable shop, etc. Would you mind sharing how much you will be paying?

Benzilla
07-17-07, 08:07 PM
You know it ;) Guy's been painting 30 years, and his father owned the business before that. I really did my research and grilled the poor guy before he even touched it.

Like I said elsewhere, the bumpers are coming off, all side trim removed, new rear ABS fillers, all dings and other imperfections smoothed, Urethane, buffed, pinstriped, new grille, the works.

I'll be happy to tell you how much I paid, after it's done :)

MaineWater
07-17-07, 10:24 PM
I look forward to see it when it's done!

Wheelman322
07-18-07, 12:31 AM
Congrats Ben...I'm as excited as you are! I remember that feeling of waiting for my Fleetwood. I can't believe it was almost five years ago. Time will pass in no time. Just promise at least 20 pictures.
P.S: I'm glad to see you're losing the E&G grill. You should sell it on eBay.

Benzilla
07-18-07, 12:40 PM
Thanks, and don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures :D

Just got back from visiting it again, the rust patch on the door sill is no more, he's also working on any scratches or dings that need attention, the new rear fillers are in place with the center ones set aside for silver, and he has the windows masked off. Next he's going to straighten out the botched rear quarter panel repair and then it'll be ready for primer!

CaddymanTom
07-18-07, 12:57 PM
Ben,

I know just how you feel. My 1975 Olds 98 went in the shop last December and I just got it back in May. It looks wonderful. It's like getting a new car.
I had a little more work done then yours needs. It had a vinyl top that I had them remove. I like the slick top on that model. I was surprised to see only one small quarter sized rust hole that was patched with metal the rest of the top just had glue that needed to be sanded off. I went almost everyday. They let me help spray the primer and some of the paint. It is a very cool experience. Cant wait to see the finished product :bouncy:

77CDV
07-18-07, 02:33 PM
This is gonna be so cool! She's gonna look awesome when she's done!

Cadillac_Fan
07-18-07, 02:56 PM
Ben,

Congrats on finding a reputable shop to perform the job. It sounds like you did your homework and due diligence. It will look great with the OEM grill. We're rooting for a fabulous outcome for you.

I'm still in awe over those great photos you took of the '88 Broughams coming down the mocked-up assembly line when you visited Detroit. I was there two weeks ago and went to Belle Isle and saw some pretty nice rides cruising by the river. Unfortunately too many mods on the Cadillacs that I saw (for my taste), but then again, I am a sucker for the original, stock look of most Cadillacs.

Nonetheless, looking forward to the photos of your prized Phaeton. So good to know that incredible Cadillac ended up in your hands.

(P.S. I've attempted to give you points, but for some reason I get redirected to login, and it says I am not permitted to perform that task.) Oh well, just wanted to let you know I'd be sending big points if I could!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-07, 08:00 PM
Hey Ben, if it's any consolation, look at this Phaeton I saw at work yesterday!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Photo_0089.jpg

It's the STS Phaeton. ;)

Benzilla
07-18-07, 08:11 PM
Hmm, not quite the same effect.

Although those are the rage in Detroit! When I was there I must have seen a million cloth tops, on everything from Intrepids to Fusions to STS's. And Vogues. I admit that I like the silver and black though, but it would look better on the DTS IMO.

Were you thinking of me when you took that? lol.

77CDV
07-18-07, 08:15 PM
I don't think Chad likes you that well, Ben!:alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-07, 08:17 PM
Although those are the rage in Detroit! When I was there I must have seen a million cloth tops, on everything from Intrepids to Fusions to STS's. And Vogues. I admit that I like the silver and black though, but it would look better on the DTS IMO.

I saw a '07 DTS in that same silver color with the same black cloth top today when I was going to lunch. It looked a lot better on the DTS.

Yes.

Brother_B
07-18-07, 10:47 PM
I really did my research and grilled the poor guy before he even touched it... I'll be happy to tell you how much I paid, after it's done :)

Ben: Thanks, Great! I am asking because I am in serious need of a paint job, and not just to cover up the electric-puke-green that I got right now. There is a little minor rust bubbling under the crappy paint job, some chips here and there. I got to stop this in its tracks! But I don't think there's major work needed, a little body work and a good solid paint job by an expert. Of course, money is the only thing stopping me. Anyway, I want to get a rough number in my mind so I know how much overtime I need to be pulling, and how long I need to live off Ramen Noodles until I got the dough.

Your paint already looked great in the pics I've seen, it's gonna be amazing soon. Hey, can you also tell me how you got them to match that Firemist? Mine was green originally - how do I get it back to Cadillac Green for '69 instead of glow-in-the-dark vomit color? (it's not as bad as it sounds)

Benzilla
07-18-07, 11:05 PM
Sure, I understand, I just don't want to jinx it. I'm weird like that.

Matching it should be easy, on mine they just went by the color code. Yours should still have it too, I'm pretty sure mine is stamped on a steel plaque on the cowl. Not sure where yours would be. If that fails, I'm sure it's on record somewhere.

Benzilla
07-19-07, 05:12 PM
Pictures!!!

So the biggest project today was straightening out the botched rear quarter panel repair. Apparently the last shop didn't even sand the old paint off before applying the filler! So he took that down to the metal and started from scratch. He also got the tops of the doors painted and masked off the roof as a whole. Basically, one or two more days of filling all the little door dings, and primer starts flying.

Enjoy!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1406.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1404.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1405.jpg

Wheelman322
07-19-07, 06:10 PM
Makes me wanna repaint mine...

codewize
07-19-07, 07:33 PM
I want to know where you guys find body shops worth a damn. Every time I tell a body shop I don't care about cost but I want it right I get shit in return.

What does it take to get a show car quality paint job?

Motorboat
07-19-07, 08:42 PM
I don't know about a car but, I just spent a little over $5,000 to have my black pick up repainted and it only had one small dime sized dent in the door and no rust anywhere.

The truck was disassembled, bed off, front clip removed and of course all the door handles, mirrors and rear window removed. It was painted with acrylic enamel, blocked, color sanded then sprayed with polyurethane. It took a little over a month to complete. I'm sure he did not work on it every day but I told him I wanted it right rather than quick.

I realize it was a lot of money but since I have invested so much in getting it to go fast, it might as look nice.......and it does.

Benzilla
07-19-07, 09:16 PM
I want to know where you guys find body shops worth a damn. Every time I tell a body shop I don't care about cost but I want it right I get shit in return.

What does it take to get a show car quality paint job?
You have to do your homework, I know it sounds cliche, but there's no other way to know what you're getting. Ask about everything; surface prep, masking verses trim removal, what kind of paint is being used, what results exactly you are expecting, etc. That's the only way to make sure you and the painter are on the same page. Make sure you know everything he plans on doing or not doing. Ask if over spray on the chassis will be removed or painted over, if it will be detailed after the work is completed, anything you can think of. Don't worry about being a pain.

Other than that, I'm not sure.:rolleyes:

CaddymanTom
07-20-07, 12:39 AM
Paint jobs are not cheap by any means. To me it is like making any big purchase. You need to ask questions, make sure you and the shop are on the same page on the results you are looking for. Ask if you can see some completed work. Most wont mind giving you some references on some finished work. I also walk the shop to see some work in progress. Dont just look at shops that do restorations of older cars. Check with some shops that do collision work. You would be surprised how many would love to redo an older car. The shop I used gave me a nice discount on my price if I could wait and they would work on it when time was available for there techs. This saved me 1/2 on labor. It also helps if you do some of the work like taking trim, bumpers etc. off. I also searched for replacement parts and brought them over for them. I did find it interesting that they wanted me to bring the chrome parts over so they could put them back on. They wanted to see the finished product. They kinda of grew attached to the car. I spent about $3000. They took the car down to bare metal, removed the vinyl top and took out every little ding that was on the car. Here is a pic of my 75 Olds 98 completed I know its not a Caddy but its still a nice GM product . Let me know what you think.

Wheelman322
07-20-07, 01:00 AM
Let me know what you think.

I like it. Any full size 70's GM ranks highly in my book.

Wheelman322
07-20-07, 01:05 AM
Pictures!!!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1404.jpg

I love seeing them like that. Can't wait to see the finished product.

77CDV
07-21-07, 01:18 AM
So far, so good.

jayoldschool
07-21-07, 10:11 PM
Looks good so far. I was thinking of you watching Goodfellas last night...

Hope they keep the overspray off those tires!:tisk:

Benzilla
07-21-07, 10:57 PM
Looks good so far. I was thinking of you watching Goodfellas last night...

Hope they keep the overspray off those tires!:tisk:
lol, I watched it too. It drove me crazy seeing my car all painted up though.

And yes, he has them covered now that he's getting closer to paint, Just wait 'till it's finished.:thumbsup:

I'll update monday... it's really coming along.

Brother_B
07-22-07, 02:28 AM
When I bought my car, it had a brand-new, but kinda crappy paint job on it. It was also sitting on brand-new 22's. I told the guy I wanted the original wheels. He said "Sure", and they still had tires on em and everything. They were all in the trunk the day I bought the car. Well, I didn't even really look at the extra wheels/tires until a few days later. They were completely green! It's like they figured they were gonna put the 22s on anyway, so why not just use the original wheels like jackstands during the painting operation. They could have spent about 30 minutes to mask em off! Wow

Benzilla
07-22-07, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I've seen many lowriders in for paint where they just spray over the wheels, without even taking the covers off. What was sad was seeing a '90s Town Car get the original turbines painted over. I love those wheels.

My painter appreciates classic cars, and knows I'm keeping the Phaeton original, so that kind of thing was never a problem.

Benzilla
07-23-07, 01:59 PM
*Update*

The car has been painted! Now he's just buffing and finishing. He already has the top surfaces buffed, and it looks beautiful. I really can't wait to see it all put back together.

So this is the final update until I start a new thread when it's finished.

Highway Star
07-23-07, 03:16 PM
Cool! :highfive: