: Threw the driveline in the 'yota today...

Spyder
07-17-07, 03:46 AM
and hot damn its nice to have friends who work in the autoparts industry! :) Got two ujoints for 22 bucks. Real live toyota, japanese made parts not cheapo chinese crap. I know I know...not american made, but at least they're real factory stuff...they'll outlive the rest of the truck!

Fixed the high speed vibration issue I've been having, the funny sound issue I've been having and the low speed rattle rattle tap tap crash bang boom issue that developed just last night. Hehehe, guess that day at the river bottoms last week wasn't the best thing in the world for it... :) I've been expecting it to go for a while, good timing when it happened, I was close enough to home to coast in...

Night Wolf
07-17-07, 06:02 AM
Keep on rockin the 80's Japaneese trucks!

Bug has bit me... I'll probably be an Isuzu buff for life.... my collection is a few steps away from getting bigger....

ewill3rd
07-17-07, 06:23 AM
I didn't know they made replacement parts for cars that never "break". ;)

DILLIGAF
07-17-07, 01:36 PM
Those front prop shafts are tuff to rebuild.Good Luck

malcolm
07-17-07, 02:22 PM
Caddy owners pick their teeth with Toyota drive shafts.

Jesda
07-17-07, 02:48 PM
http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/images/joe_isuzu_1.jpg

Spyder
07-17-07, 03:25 PM
Nah, the fronts are fine. It was the rear that went. Front u-joint on the rear driveline. The fronts actually DO need to be replaced, soon, cause the boots are torn but they havn't started making any sound yet and when I go wheeling I usually can get through most of the stuff around here in 2, so they never even spin. No spin means no wear. My parts guy can get 'em for a hundred and ten bucks for the pair so no worries...just need to get a half a day to do it. I won't rebuild them, I'll just stab whole new ones in it. WAY easier and just as cheap.

The 'zusu is bad ass. Same truck but shorter, really. Good wholesome fun! :)

DILLIGAF
07-17-07, 10:02 PM
No dude,the front driveshaft.Prop shaft-----runs from the transfer case to the pumpkin.A total beotch to rebuild,the front axle shafts take minutes to replace.I swear I could do them blind folded by now.I absolutely love the toy's drive line.I destroyed 2 toys and loved every minute of it,they were the perfect trucks for where I was in my life.I've always had 4x4's and the toys were the best bang for the buck.

dkozloski
07-17-07, 10:21 PM
I cut my teeth on a 1939 Dodge Power Wagon. It'd drag any Toyota made around the block. My buddy goes four wheelin' with an OshKosh he got on a sale from the highway department.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33249&stc=1&d=1184724133

DILLIGAF
07-17-07, 10:23 PM
Better keep that beast out of the soft stuff,it'll go down like a fine beer.

Spyder
07-17-07, 11:12 PM
Yea...I had a powerwagon too...it was a mid fifties big mo-fo. BADASS truck, but far pricier to fix and it doesn't get twenty miles a gallon. :)

dkozloski
07-18-07, 12:52 AM
Better keep that beast out of the soft stuff,it'll go down like a fine beer.
His is on tires from a Douglas DC-3 with grousers vulcanized on by an outfit in Seattle.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-07, 01:29 AM
And I want a Tahoe, circa 1996-99. :)

Night Wolf
07-18-07, 03:44 AM
Dc-3....ahhhh Awesome Plane!!!!!!!

Night Wolf
07-18-07, 03:47 AM
DC-3....AHHHH AWESOME PLANE!!!!!!!

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Aircraft/Civil/DeltaAirlinesDc3_1.jpg

ahem......anyway.... the 80's Toyota's were pretty darn good trucks.... but value for money? the things hold their resale like crazy... though that is because people will pay an arm and a leg for anything wearing the Toyota badge. I am still shocked at what a late-80's and early 90's regular cab bare bone Toyota with 150k miles will go for.

Red_October_7000
07-18-07, 04:29 AM
The Hilux and its derivatives are extremely durable. That is about ALL they are. Not refined or comfortable or pretty or fun to drive on roads. If they don't rust out from under you they will last for ever, although you may be wishing for them to die so you can replace them. I don't understand the popularity of Toyota and its inflated resale, though, especially since they dropped all their good/interesting models, although the FJ Cruiser is kinda neat.

Night Wolf
07-18-07, 04:53 AM
I used to think I liked Toyota's trucks, but then I realized its only a few....

the 80's trucks were good... cause they were simple, durable, and great off-road.... like you said tho, not the best daily cruiser.

A guy at work has a ~'87 regular cab pickup he bought brand new, it now has 330k miles on it and he drives it everyday.... thats pretty cool to me.

Only other Toyota truck I like, that I would want is a '01-'03 Tacoma Xtra cab, TRD, V6, 5spd, 4x4. I like them alot... but... resale value is thru the roof.

old FJ cruiser was really cool, freind form high school restored one.... new FJ Cruiser... eh.... in TRD form they are decent... but I dunno, they seem a bit too refined for real off-road, but then again, that is what the market calls for, the majority of them will never see anything more then a gravel road, and this is 2007.

Honestly, when talking value for money on 80's and 90's era trucks for off-road, you simply can not beat Isuzu. They are built really good, have quite a bit of neat features stock, or optional (lotsa skid plates, fully boxed frame, high ground clearance, big tires, 4.56 gears, posi etc...) Yet they don't kill you on the road, and are quite nice to drive. 80's and early 90's styles were basic, pure utility... but come 1992 with the 2nd gen Trooper, you could order then as basic as you want, or loaded to the brim with options.... pretty cool. When properly maintained, the 4ZE1 (2.6) is every bit as reliable as the 22RE, but far more friendly and cheaper to rebuild.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-07, 09:16 PM
http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/images/joe_isuzu_1.jpg

Night Wolf
07-19-07, 02:42 AM
Jesda's side-kick?

Jesda
07-19-07, 03:02 AM
RICKROLL'D

Spyder
07-19-07, 07:33 AM
I dunno...I LOVE the fact that mine is convertible...and gets 22 miles per gallon...and has four hundred THOUSAND miles on it, and has only had a radiator and an alternator and a pair of u-joints. Purty damned impressive to me. It has IFS, which sucks,. but it sure rides smooth. Solid front axle is only about three hundred bucks and a locker for the rear is about two fifty. With those two add ons it'd be UNBEATABLE anywhere I plan on taking it...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-19-07, 10:03 AM
Rick was right, there is a sort of charm about those '80s Toyota trucks. I've kinda liked 'em ever since I saw Marty McFly's truck in Back to the Future....that was a handsome truck, especially for a compact one! I liked that truck the first time I saw that movie, and that was probably 14 years ago.

http://www.imcdb.org/images/003/742.jpg
ivw_0IVtXes

Spyder
07-19-07, 04:56 PM
Ha! never realized that was a 'yota! Havn't watched it since I could drive, either, though. :)