: Goodyear Eagle Responsedge Tires

Jim_V
07-16-07, 02:38 PM
Just installed 4 Goodyear Eagle Responsedge tires 255/55 18. Car handles great and find the car staying between the lines on tight bends much easier. Rides smooth and quiet. Very glad I purchased them.

sgilbert
07-16-07, 03:51 PM
Those are what I wanted when I needed tires, but weren't available due to the strike last fall.

Glad you like them. Keep us advised on how they wear.

louisn
07-17-07, 08:46 PM
Just installed 4 Goodyear Eagle Responsedge tires 255/55 18. Car handles great and find the car staying between the lines on tight bends much easier. Rides smooth and quiet. Very glad I purchased them.
How much were they? Thanks!

Paulie Walnuts
07-18-07, 07:54 AM
Did the installer give you any grief about running the wider than stock fronts?

Jim_V
07-18-07, 10:10 AM
At first they wanted to me to sign a waiver for not installing the factory sizes. I insisted that many were running them from this website. They later called me and said that Goodyear corporate headquarters gave them the OK since they had not started manufacturing the 235 size until late July for August delivery. I previously told them I couldn't wait and would not buy any other product from them I wanted the 255 all around. I think the smaller tire in front helped boost MPG ratings and did nothing technically. My salesman told me it provided 50/50 weight distribution but the diameters are only different by 30 mils I believe.

Permnico
07-18-07, 01:10 PM
Been monitoring the tire threads here in the forum pretty closely. I'm right about 22K miles on my 05 AWD N*. Two OEM fronts are showing pretty substantial outer edge wear. Two OEM backs look to be good but I plan to replace all four as I've also decided the ResponseEdge is my next set. So, I called my dealer service folks / Kemper Auto in northern NJ. The service guy basically said he won't install the tires if I choose to go with all one size. We had a nice conversation about warranty ramifications (none known), alignment, tire wear, balancing & rotating, and replacement costs but, net, he is obligated to defend & stick with the GM design spec... even though he knew of no valid reason. Well, I'm convinced to go with the same size so I'll be looking for a good tire shop in the next month or so to set me up. I'll let the forum know what happens.

Kauai 1
07-18-07, 01:17 PM
I am glad that yours are working out well. As I posted several months ago, I tried two sets and they were terrible; car shook at 55 and above, and all attempts to re-balance and road force test failed. The tires were manufactured during the strike, and that may be why they were faulty. Goodyear had a 30 day trial policy, so they ate two sets. I went with 255's rear, 235's front, on stock 18 inch wheels.
I returned to the Michelins, which if nothing else, are smooth and shake-free at speed.
I would advise anyone looking to buy the Goodyear ResponsEdge tires to avoid tires made shortly before, during, or shortly after the strike!

Paulie Walnuts
07-19-07, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the info - I have gotten the push back and "scary stories" about mounting the larger size - I bet they look great too! I'll look harder for a tire tech who's not such a wuss next time round.

Smokin' SRX
07-19-07, 09:14 PM
Been monitoring the tire threads here in the forum pretty closely. I'm right about 22K miles on my 05 AWD N*. Two OEM fronts are showing pretty substantial outer edge wear. Two OEM backs look to be good but I plan to replace all four as I've also decided the ResponseEdge is my next set. So, I called my dealer service folks / Kemper Auto in northern NJ. The service guy basically said he won't install the tires if I choose to go with all one size. We had a nice conversation about warranty ramifications (none known), alignment, tire wear, balancing & rotating, and replacement costs but, net, he is obligated to defend & stick with the GM design spec... even though he knew of no valid reason. Well, I'm convinced to go with the same size so I'll be looking for a good tire shop in the next month or so to set me up. I'll let the forum know what happens.

Now have about 6 mos. and about 3500 miles on my 255/55-18.......ALL AROUND....on my '04 N* w/ AWD and Mag Ride! Love 'em and got them at Mavis.com. Installed at a local Mavis shop. Went Dunlap Symmetry 5000 Sport in "H" speed rating. (little softer rubber w/ slightly lower speed rating. E.I....149MPH VS 130 MPH) Paid about $165 per....installed and balanced! Alignment ($49) for all 4 wheels was WAAAAYYYYY out w/ 19 K miles!! Especially fronts! NEVER had any vehicle tires in 40 years driving , wear out like this. And of course I couldn't rotate! Was Caddy trying to accomplish something???? Or was my agressive driving w/ the Mag Ride to blame?? Hmmm....

Paulie Walnuts
07-20-07, 08:43 AM
That's exactly what has happened to me on my "04 AWD w/N*. Front & rears were wearing funny - lept blaming my driving - so i finally took it to a non-Good Wrench guy and he lined 'em up perfectly. In spite of some feathering - etc. they quieted right down. But later he wouldn't throw the 255/55' all the way around. I'm sold on the bigger tires - watch me drive hard to wear these rocks out as fast as I can.

05awdupstater
07-26-07, 08:10 PM
Just installed 4 Goodyear Response Edge 255/55/18's. They balanced up with very little weight. I think they ride as well as the OEM Pilots, handle just as well and have a much better treadwear rating. Time will tell on that last selling point. I believe the noise level may be a little louder, but not bothersome. Handling with all 4 the same size seems just fine. Perhaps Goodyear has straightened up their act when it comes to quality.