: STS with RWD or AWD, what would you do?

surburban99
07-16-07, 09:21 AM
Hello to all,

I am thinking about the purchase of a 2007 or 2008 STS. Would like to hear from Forum members about the pros and cons of AWD vs. RWD in this car. What are your dislikes, likes, wish you had done either, etc.

Thanks in advance.

jgrade
07-16-07, 09:29 AM
Don't know much about the 07 or 08, but my 06 RWD SUCKS in any bad weather. I think this will all depend on where you live and how you drive. I am just outside Chicago and when we get a little precipitation, the car slips and slides everywhere. RWD in conbination with the OEM rubber just plain sucks. Do yourself a favor, get the AWD and some new tires if you live in an area that gets snow.

Caroutisine
07-16-07, 12:32 PM
AWD.

Wish I would have spent the extra $$$ for it.

In 2005 the V8 AWD also had a "gas guzzler" tax added on.

evaccaro
07-16-07, 10:09 PM
I have a 2007 RWD with the limited slip rear option. I live in the Washington DC area. We got several 4"+ snowfalls this year. The car performed flawlessly. In the rain, I never have a problem. The car has the factory 18" tires. The key here is the limited slip rear differential. Without it, the car would be a complete dog. The traction control is not effective by itself in controlling wheel slip. When combined with the limited slip differential, it is perfect for this area. This is really the key. The area you live in and the kind of bad weather you get. If you get a lot of snow, then AWD is the best ticket. One thing to remember is that the car has relatively low ground clearance. AWD will not help you if the snow gets high enough that the underside gets hung up. AWD does have its drawbacks. it's expensive. it's heavy causing decrease in acceleration and fuel economy. You need to decide if the benefits outweigh the tradeoffs for your situation.

dkozloski
07-16-07, 10:45 PM
I have an '06 AWD V8 and a seldom mentioned benefit is the brutal launch at the stoplight grand prix. The other day I startled the rider on an FL1100 Yamaha as I left on him at the light.

dkozloski
07-16-07, 10:46 PM
Damnable server overload.

corvette00
07-17-07, 08:24 AM
I had an 05 v8 rwd and currently have an 07 v8 awd. As stated in previous comments, the rwd with oem rubber is terrible performer on wet pavement. The awd took a little getting use to, however I think it is a much better all around vehicle. Install a K&N filter and you should only realize a .05 mpg decrease from the rwd. I am anxious to see the mpg ratings for the 08 v6 awd. Given the poor Cadillac 07 programs, I think I would waite for an 08.