: Question on the software update...

ascariSTS
07-16-07, 06:43 AM
Not sure, but I read a while ago that there is a software already installed in 2007 year models and can be installed in previous models...

The new software has memory and suspension buttons on the main "Config" screen... it might also improve VR reception and bluetooth...

The problem is ... my lovely dealer is not aware of that... they said there are absolutely no software updates...

Is there a document or any thing so that I can prove it ?

Force-1
07-16-07, 08:17 AM
Refer them to TSB 05-08-126-001A

thefred
07-16-07, 05:27 PM
If your dealer hasn't heard of it, it probably means they don't have the discs either. Prepare to wait 2-3 weeks for the dealer to get the discs.

ewill3rd
07-17-07, 05:43 AM
They have to call the nav disc center to order the disc set if they don't have it already.
They strap the envelope on the back of a snail for delivery, sometimes they use a turtle and it comes a little faster :D
Make sure they follow the bulletin closely, but some of the menu options have changed with scan tool software updates that have taken place recently.

I have done 3 or 4 of these and not heard any complaints.
Be aware it will wipe the memory of your unit, you'll lose all your presets and nav settings, including your address book. (if you have any stored)

Subject: Voice Recognition System Performs Poorly, Memory Seat Function Operation Complicated, Navigation Radio Screen Locks Up, Map DVD Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth #05-08-126-001B - (03/28/2007)

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac STS

Built Prior to December, 2006

with Navigation Radio (RPO YQ4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify which vehicles require the software updates by providing the software version information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-126-001A (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment of any or all of the following conditions:

• Poor performance of the voice recognition system.

• The memory seat function operation is too complicated to set.

• The navigation radio touch screen locks up.

• The navigation radio displays "Disc Inserted is Not a Map DVD" even though a map DVD is installed.

• A telephone number cannot be dialed via "Bluetooth". This occurs after the customer has added and/or deleted more than 50 inputs.

• When using "Bluetooth", the outbound caller is very faint and cannot be heard well.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the navigation system software.

Correction
Navigation Radio Software Versions Requiring An Update Radio Part Number
Current Navigation System Software Version
Current Audio System Software Version

0C80
0E60

0DE0
0F80

0F00

0F90
010B

Important: After the software updates are complete, the customer may notice that some functions have been moved to different screen locations. Some voice recognition commands that were used infrequently have been deleted. If a voice command is not recognized, the navigation radio will now prompt the user to speak the command up to three times.

Technicians are to perform a software update on the audio and navigation systems using the following procedure:

Record the customer's radio station presets.
Connect a Tech 2® to the vehicle and cycle the ignition to ON with the engine off. This mode can be reached by depressing the lower part of the ignition switch for about 5 or 6 seconds. The upper button, with a circle on it, will illuminate. Determine the audio and navigation system software version numbers that are currently in the vehicle. If the vehicle has the software versions listed in the table above the software update is required. If the vehicle has any other software version the update is not required.
Wait until the audio or map screen is displayed after the Cadillac logo screen.
Important: If the navigation system software version is not listed in the table above, the software update will not start and the audio and navigation software update is not necessary. If the software update is not required DO NOT insert disc 2 into the radio.

Eject the map DVD, if loaded. Load the navigation system software update CD, disc 1, into the map DVD loading slot.
The statement "Preparing to load system software" will appear on the screen along with a progress bar. When the green progress bar reaches the end, the navigation software update using disc 1 is complete and the system will automatically restart.
Eject software update disc 1 from the map DVD slot.
Load the audio system software update, disc 2, into the map DVD slot.
A progress bar will be displayed on the lower left side of the screen. Japanese text will appear above the progress bar. When the yellow progress bar reaches the end, the audio system software update using disc 2 is complete and the system automatically restarts.
Eject the audio system update CD, disc 2, from the map DVD slot.
Use the Tech 2® to complete the following steps to initialize the audio and navigation software:
10.1. Select: Diagnostics

10.2. Select: Model year

10.3. Select: Vehicle type

10.4. Select: Product make

10.5. Select: Product line

10.6. Select: Product series

10.7. Select: F7 Body & Accessory

10.8. Select: Entertainment

10.9. Select: F5 Module Set-up

10.10. Select: F2 Navigation Radio

10.11. Select: F0 Audio Update Initialize (takes approximately 30 seconds)

10.12. Select: "Next". Note: A loss of communication will be experienced, power the Tech 2® off and then back on and follow steps 10.1 through 10.9, then proceed to step 10.13 to continue initializing the Navigation system.

10.13. Select: F1 Navigation Update Initialize (takes approximately 30 seconds)

10.14. Select: "On". The "Commanded State" will switch from "none" to "on" and the screen will flash and come up to the radio display.

10.15. Exit back to the "Body/Accessory" screen then select F7: Body/Accessory

10.16. Select: Entertainment

10.17. Select: F4 Module information

10.18. Select: F1 Navigation radio. Verify that the software versions are:

- Navigation system software version = 0FC1

- Audio system software version = 010C

Cycle the ignition to OFF.
Open and close the driver's door and wait for 60 seconds.
Cycle the ignition to ON.
Load the customer's map DVD into the lower slot located below the navigation system screen.
After inserting the map DVD, touch the "I agree" screen button. If the "I agree" screen does not come up, select the "globe"/map key to access the navigation screen.
Reset the radio presets to the customer's preferences.
Verify that the navigation system reflects the correct location of the vehicle. If necessary, recalibrate the navigation system. Refer to the STS Owner Navigation Manual supplement (pages 2-59 and 2-60) for more information.
Cycle the ignition to OFF. The software update is now complete.
Voice Recognition Commands
Please provide an updated list of the voice recognition commands that are currently available to your customers. Customers with a 2005 model year vehicle may not have had some of these commands available to them with their old navigation system software. Refer to the latest list that is a part of the Owner Manual Supplement on the Navigation System that is available in SI. Information about voice recognition is available in SI. Refer to Voice Recognition.

Parts Information
Obtain a software upgrade disc set by contacting the GM Navigation Disc Center at 1-877-628-3472 per Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-012A (DVD Navigation Update Program, AVN Software Update Discs and Ordering Information). The center will require your BAC code, dealer code and shipping address. Advanced Vehicle Navigation (AVN) software discs are for the dealer to update the navigation radio software only. They DO NOT update or replace the navigation map disc that is supplied with the vehicle. Please order these parts only as needed. There is a limited supply of these discs available. Do not order these discs for stock. The AVN software update discs can be used to reprogram more than one vehicle. The first update disc for each part number is free. Subsequent copies of the same part number for the same dealer will cost $50.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Disc - Navigation Data (Software Update Disc Set)

ascariSTS
07-17-07, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys, Thanks ewill,,, that's exactly what I wanted

I'll see what they will say...

jhelms
07-30-07, 11:26 PM
Is there a way to do a VIN search to see if your particular STS has the latest software revision?

ewill3rd
07-31-07, 05:12 PM
No, the only way to check the software version in the radio is with the Tech 2.
The bulletin outlines how to read the software version.
Your dealer willhave to check it.

jhelms
08-02-07, 01:47 AM
I read in another post here that the software update caused the bluetooth auto-mute feature to quit working.

Are there any other downsides to getting the software update? Or just many more upsides?

ewill3rd
08-02-07, 05:48 AM
I haven't had any complaints after the software update has been done.
I haven't heard this auto-mute thing either.

MARKVIII
08-02-07, 07:21 AM
my '05 is in the shop right now getting a bumch of warrenty items done to it. one of the things i wanted was the software upgrade. i gave my service advisor the tsb # and he said he would look into it for me..i hope they did it.

TexasViking
10-17-07, 03:34 PM
I had the auto-mute problem in my 2005 AWD V8 and gave my dealer the info I found about the software update on this site (Good site). The dealer still took close to 3 months to get it because they were absolutely clueless when it came to the Nav system and they would not listen to me. (From what I see all around on this site, GM don't seem to train their technicians on the new technology that comes out. That is why German and Japanese makes have so much following, because they do care). After two months they admitted I was right and placed the dreaded call for the update.

After the update the Bluetooth changed behavior. As before, I can't make a call from the nav screen if over 10MPH, while incoming calls are shown on the nav screen, but the answer button is not immediately available so to get the call, before it goes to voice mail, I have to get up the cell phone to answer it. As soon as I click on the phone to answer the radio comes back on, full blast. Now I am panicking to turn off the radio while trying to answer the phone, while not crashing in to the idiot that changed lane in front of me, while my wife is screeming at me in the passenger seat, hence quickly running out of free hands and brain processing capacity to do all I am trying to do at the same time. How stupid do these designers become? Instead of improving safety by putting in blocks, they have made it much worse.

When will GM realise that to attract drivers below 70, making an angular designed body is not enough. New technology that works and are supported by skilled technicans is as important, if not more.

I just got a new, all singing and dancing, HTC TyTN II phone, and it will not connect to my car at all, so go figureÖ I guess problem solved.

dhemrick
10-17-07, 08:04 PM
I had the auto-mute problem in my 2005 AWD V8 and gave my dealer the info I found about the software update on this site (Good site). The dealer still took close to 3 months to get it because they were absolutely clueless when it came to the Nav system and they would not listen to me. (From what I see all around on this site, GM don't seem to train their technicians on the new technology that comes out. That is why German and Japanese makes have so much following, because they do care). After two months they admitted I was right and placed the dreaded call for the update.

After the update the Bluetooth changed behavior. As before, I can't make a call from the nav screen if over 10MPH, while incoming calls are shown on the nav screen, but the answer button is not immediately available so to get the call, before it goes to voice mail, I have to get up the cell phone to answer it. As soon as I click on the phone to answer the radio comes back on, full blast. Now I am panicking to turn off the radio while trying to answer the phone, while not crashing in to the idiot that changed lane in front of me, while my wife is screeming at me in the passenger seat, hence quickly running out of free hands and brain processing capacity to do all I am trying to do at the same time. How stupid do these designers become? Instead of improving safety by putting in blocks, they have made it much worse.

When will GM realise that to attract drivers below 70, making an angular designed body is not enough. New technology that works and are supported by skilled technicans is as important, if not more.

I just got a new, all singing and dancing, HTC TyTN II phone, and it will not connect to my car at all, so go figureÖ I guess problem solved.

I'm wondering if you really got the latest version of the software.

I have a 2006 STS-V which has the same nav system as the standard STS. was having the exact same problems with auto mute you were having. I reported that to the dealer and they upgraded my software. After the upgrade, the problem went away and everything works perfectly. Auto mute works every time and I have no bluetooth connection issues like I did before.

Scotty454
02-25-08, 12:33 AM
I asked my dealer to update my system while my 2005 STS was in the shop. They are going by 05-08-126-001B and they tell my my system has the latest software. My car has the 15256169 system and the NAV is at 0DE0 and the Audio system is at 00F8. Are they right or wrong?

ewill3rd
02-25-08, 07:09 AM
They are sadly mistaken, if they would read the entire bulletin they would find that the radio must have those numbers in them to do the update. The final numbers are supposed to be

Navigation system software version = 0FC1

- Audio system software version = 010C

After the update. Anything different than that needs to be updated.

Navigation Radio Software Versions Requiring An Update

Radio Part Number
Current Navigation System Software Version
Current Audio System Software Version

0C80
0E60

0DE0
0F80

0F00

0F90
010B

Important: After the software updates are complete, the customer may notice that some functions have been moved to different screen locations. Some voice recognition commands that were used infrequently have been deleted. If a voice command is not recognized, the navigation radio will now prompt the user to speak the command up to three times.

dhemrick
02-25-08, 10:06 AM
ewill3rd, is there a way that I can check these myself? I seem to recall that there was a sequence that I could put in to get into diagnostic mode to check these numbers, but I cannot find the thread. If you have it handy, could you please repost it?

Thanks!

05lover
02-25-08, 07:09 PM
Hey if your out of warrenty does the dealer cover TSB's or is that on the customer to pay????

Scotty454
02-25-08, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info ewill3rd. I'll try that.

dhemrick, here's that link:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/74744-so-all-sts-v-owners-any-3.html

ewill3rd
02-26-08, 08:29 AM
I know of no way to check the calibrations without a scan tool.

TSBs are for informational purposes and are like any repair, covered under warranty but out of pocket once the car is out of warranty.
Recalls are covered for the life of the car or sometimes they are limited by the actual recall itself.
Did that make sense?

dkozloski
02-26-08, 09:49 AM
My car is in warranty but my service writer told me I had to go through the parts department and order the update package myself. The parts department told me I couldn't order it because it was for dealers only so I'm screwed. I gave the service writer the TSB number and he acted like it was the first one he'd ever seen.

ewill3rd
02-26-08, 10:06 AM
The dealership needs to call the nav disc center and order a set koz.
The first disc set is free, next time they order one it costs money. I keep our set in my desk. Nobody else here really knows about this bulletin, but then again I am the radio guy here.

WillySTS
02-26-08, 10:53 AM
My car is in warranty but my service writer told me I had to go through the parts department and order the update package myself. The parts department told me I couldn't order it because it was for dealers only so I'm screwed. I gave the service writer the TSB number and he acted like it was the first one he'd ever seen.
Probably was the first one he had seen. The only writers who know about it here are the ones who drive an STS.

antddaddy
02-28-08, 12:14 AM
I just had it done... bluetooth has improved a lot, but the private button is hit or miss sometimes its available sometimes its not...also notice the voice says "pardon" now it was said something different before dont remember what it was cuase very rarely used the VR. Does anyone know if the dealership was supposed to give me a list of the new VR commands or which ones were deleted?

Scotty454
02-28-08, 12:26 AM
I just had it done... bluetooth has improved a lot, but the private button is hit or miss sometimes its available sometimes its not...also notice the voice says "pardon" now it was said something different before dont remember what it was cuase very rarely used the VR. Does anyone know if the dealership was supposed to give me a list of the new VR commands or which ones were deleted?

The bulletin says they are supposed to give you a list:

"Please provide an updated list of the voice recognition commands that are currently available to your customers. Customers with a 2005 model year vehicle may not have had some of these commands available to them with their old navigation system software. Refer to the latest list that is a part of the Owner Manual Supplement on the Navigation System that is available in SI."

ewill3rd
02-28-08, 06:57 AM
I think if you use the voice button and say "navigation help" it will take you to a navigation command screen.
I haven't played with one for a while.
From there you can select the different menu choices and the subcommands for each.

Scotty454
03-17-08, 10:07 PM
Thanks ewill3rd. It took me three tries, but I finally got them to realize their CD was one rev back (because of your posts). I kept leaving my car there for them to update the NAV/Audio system, but they kept telling me my system was up to date. They finally found the right CD and what do you know, it let them up date it.

Iím glad I got those NAV/Audio updates because that has made a big difference is how well the voice recognition and phone works. Itís also made it MUCH easier to switch the driver settings when my wife opens the door first with her fob in her purse, but Iím the one driving. I also like having the Mag Ride settings on that first config screen.

ewill3rd
03-18-08, 07:16 AM
Most welcome, glad they figured it out.
I still have the Old CD set too, but they are easy to tell apart from eachother.

I haven't had any customers come back complaining since the software update.

dkozloski
03-18-08, 01:18 PM
My service writer still tells me I have to order the software update through the parts room but the parts room says it's for dealers only and I can't do it so I'm still screwed. On top of that I've been waiting six weeks for the rear axle seal recall to be done, the car is leaking at both ends(AWD), and they can't get parts so I'm screwed there too. I also found out today that since I bought my own NAV disc update when GMnavdisc refused to furnish it to me as an update months ago, I'm not on the list to get a free one. So far I've had to pay out of pocket for every NAV disc I ever got that worked including the one that was supposed to come with the car. After I complained to the dealer about no disc coming with the car they gave me one that was over two years old that didn't work so I bought one off Ebay but it had no coverage for Alaska. I called GMnavdisc about an update and they told me I had to buy the current disc for $199 because I wasn't scheduled for an update. At least it worked some. There is map coverage but no POI or address index. Now there is an '08 disc out but they never notified me and it's out of stock so I'm screwed there too. When you're out on the end of the food chain all they do is throw you a few scraps once in a while. There isn't a Cadillac dealer within 2000 miles of here that gives a rat's ass about anything.

prettytwice
12-29-08, 03:46 PM
is the software update the same as the new nav disc?

Angus Young
12-29-08, 05:48 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/95755-nav-screen-diagnostic-mode-instructions.html

dabtwo
04-12-10, 06:53 PM
Hi,

sorry to revive an old thread, but this is an old problem that I can not get resolved.

I have a 2005 STS with the nav unit. I requested the firmware upgrade from two different dealers here in Houston, Ron Carter and David Taylor. I recently had a throttle pedal sensor go bad that eventually led to a computer replacement. I also requested, again, for the firmware update. This time I was told the GM has pulled the TSB and that the update was not available. I would like some verification, especially since my Certified Warranty expires later this year.

other than this issue, I have to say both dealers have been great to work with, with Ron Carter slightly edging out David Taylor since they have their own loaners.

Thanks

Danny

TSB - 05-08-126-001A

CadillacSTS42005
04-12-10, 07:31 PM
go in complaining that your bluetooth is having issues functioning and they will perform the update
do not go in asking for the update as its not supposed to be free but a repair done to correct a problem

carter's_sts
04-12-10, 07:39 PM
I only know that I had my update done last fall. They had to order the disk and it took a few weeks, but then no problem.

I took in the TSB from this forum and the dealer was great about it.

Just read the above post and that is what I did too - told them about my Bluetooth issues (not made up).