Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Searched first: How hot should the transmission get?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Kmajecki 
#1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what is causing the difficulty of shifting in my car for a while now as my dealers have never seen a 6spd in their lives... it only gets clunky and hard to use after the car has been running. Someone in here stated that it could be the overheating of the transmission so I have been observing my transmission temperature. At one point, after driving for 2 hours, it was up to 167, but today it only got up to 120 degrees, but that was after only 20 mins of driving. What should the temperature be if the outside temperature was around 87degrees?

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
The oil temp is easy. Look for the oil pressure. The symbol looks like a can. The oil temp has a can and a thermometer.

The water temp is the thermometer in what looks to be waves.

That leaves the last temp gauge to be the trans. It's a thermometer in what looks to be a cog or something...

#4 ·
If you are not setting off a temp warning (whatever temp that would occour at) I doubt you are overheating.
My suggestion would be some good fluid like Motul or Neo.
It's is also possible your tranny needs service but good luck convincing a dealer of that.
As long as you can still get 1 forward gear they will say it's fine. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.