: Clean Radar.........why?

sweetdivel
07-14-07, 04:55 PM
hi
i had a small accident that required me to change my grill, i installed on same as original and my car is equipped with ACC. since then, i always get CLEAN RADAR in the DIC. and the ACC wont work. it always comes on when i drive in certain spots in the city. some times it works but wont detect the car in front or delays detecting. also some times it works fine.

this is confusing and i couldn't figure it out. my dealer has no idea about ACC and clams this is the first time some one has such problem.

any help?:bouncy:

dkozloski
07-14-07, 06:43 PM
Adaptive Cruise Control works by RADAR. After your accident and repair it is receiving erratic or weak signals that it interprets as being caused by a dirty sensor. The RADAR sensor is dirty, damaged, improperly installed, or shadowed. Check this system out from A to Z and you'll most likely find the problem. Reference to the Factory Service Manual should be helpful.

sweetdivel
07-14-07, 07:13 PM
thanks for your reply but the problem is even our dealer does not know to check it. as if for cleaning, it is already clean.
how can i check the adjustments of the rader and make sure of its integrity??????

dkozloski
07-14-07, 07:39 PM
Your dealer either is an idiot or is stringing you along and doesn't want to work on the problem. The factory service manual has complete information on service and repair of ACC. A good place to start would be to read page 11-89 in the factory service manual. The DIC message is explained and there are instructions on how to clean the distance sensor module. It looks to me that what is needed is systematic troubleshooting. If the ACC doesn't work there should be trouble codes to pull.

sweetdivel
07-14-07, 07:51 PM
i totally agree with you ether for the idiotic dealer and for your diagnose. i feel that it has to be checked for bad software or misalignment.

ewill3rd
07-15-07, 06:56 PM
I had one doing that, the radar unit is likely not aimed properly.
Tell them to remove the grille, get the special aiming tool out and set up their work area. Follow the instructions to aim the radar unit and then reassemble it.
The only thing you need is the special tool and about 30 feet of level floor with a wall at one end. A tape measure and a white out pen, and a few hand tools is all else it took me to fix it.
It is not actually dirty, but since it is not aimed right it is picking up stuff it shouldn't so it thinks it is blocked by debris on the grille.

sweetdivel
07-15-07, 07:52 PM
thank you for this information, i'll rush to the dealer next week and have it checked.

ewill3rd
07-16-07, 06:38 AM
To be fair to your dealer, there really isn't much information in the service manual on this.
When I had one I just decided to aim it and boy was it waaaaaaaayy off.
There were no real codes or anything.

sweetdivel
07-16-07, 07:49 PM
so in this case what should happen ??????!!!!

dkozloski
07-16-07, 09:06 PM
so in this case what should happen ??????!!!!
Take the car to the dealer and explain to them that your friends who are the most distinguished Cadillac troubleshooters in the world have formally declared that the ACC is malfuntioning and most likely needs to be properly aimed. If your service advisor objects tell him we intend to make his wife a widow and his house into a dung heap.

ewill3rd
07-17-07, 06:37 AM
sweet, I am not sure what you mean... you need to take it back to the dealer and tell them to aim the cruise control unit.
They should be able to figure it out from there. The instructions in Service Information are pretty clear.
Once I got everything set up it didn't take long.
The aiming tool should be in their tool inventory. It is an essential tool for any car that has ACC. They can't sell those cars without the tools being on hand.

Make sure you contact your insurance agent, if you tell the dealer (or if they know already) that it was in an accident, they will charge you for aiming and it seems obvious to me that this is related to the accident damage. Also the unit could have a broken bracket or something that may need to be repaired.
Keep your insurance involved, it should come off the same deductible but you'd have to check with them to be sure.