: ASS-troroof Issues.....

DopeStar 156
07-14-07, 01:51 AM
Lately I've been having problems with the thing getting stuck while it's open. It will ALWAYS open but closing is another issue. I dunno if that's an issue with the switch or the motor for the roof itself but I dunno. It looks like it struggles to do both but only gets stuck while closing. Punching the roof seems to have a moderate effect. Any reccomendations?

96Fleetwood
07-14-07, 07:40 AM
I had similar issues with my moonroof in the '96. I took it to a reputable electric shop and they tested the motor and switches. Turns out it was a $30.00 switch :thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
07-14-07, 09:04 AM
Is there even an access for the motor? My old Lincoln Continental had a drop door above the backseat area to get to the motor but I don't see one for this car. I hope it's the switch but one for this car is a difficult find since not too many had the Astroroof. The switch for the thing shares a panel with the power antenna and rear defogger switches........

96Fleetwood
07-14-07, 09:21 AM
The motor in mine is in a little console where the garage door opener is... not sure about your car?

Wheelman322
07-14-07, 01:34 PM
Describe "Gets Stuck"....I know some early GM astroroofs had a safety stop built in because little kids were closing their necks in them.

Wheelman322
07-14-07, 01:37 PM
Is there even an access for the motor? My old Lincoln Continental had a drop door above the backseat area to get to the motor but I don't see one for this car. I hope it's the switch but one for this car is a difficult find since not too many had the Astroroof. The switch for the thing shares a panel with the power antenna and rear defogger switches........

You won't have to replace the whole switchplate, you can just pull the panel out and relace the individual switch. It should be the same replacement part number as the rear defogger switch.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-14-07, 06:01 PM
I wonder if a Cadillac dealer would be able to properly diagnose a 1976.....

DopeStar 156
07-14-07, 10:30 PM
Describe "Gets Stuck"....I know some early GM astroroofs had a safety stop built in because little kids were closing their necks in them.

Well, when it's a quarter of the way opening or three-quarters of the way closing it slows down and on occasion stops. If it stops I usually have to push/pull it to get it to go all of the way. It will either do this, or when it's open fully it won't budge at all to close. I don't even hear any motor activity when I push the switch to close, however open makes a sound which would lead me to believe the switch would be the culprit. Maybe I'll take some video of the thing opening and closing so you can see and hear it......

I'd like to lubricate the thing but I haven't the slightest idea on how to do that.....

Wouldn't the Astroroof switch be a closer relation to the power antenna switch than the one for the defogger?

bicentennialcadillac
07-14-07, 11:25 PM
If she up and quits, there is a manual access that will allow you to crank the roof shut. It is detailed in the owner's manual.

DopeStar 156
07-15-07, 01:24 AM
If she up and quits, there is a manual access that will allow you to crank the roof shut. It is detailed in the owner's manual.

Unfortunately I am missing said manual. Where's this wonderful crank located?

bicentennialcadillac
07-15-07, 09:25 AM
According to the service manual (my owner's manual is in the car, which is currently 20 miles away) the "hex end of crank handle provided in glove box" is to be used to crank the winding gear, which is accessed by removing a plastic plug "located in the center of the headlining near the front edge of the roof opening."

I'm guessing that the provided crank handle is long gone, but you should be able to use any hex set to get it done.

77CDV
07-15-07, 02:25 PM
Dope,

Don't use the pwr ant switch as a replacement, as it has a "hold" position in the "up" setting. The def switch is just like the astroroof switch in that you have to hold it to keep it in the direction you want.

As to accessing the motor, you must drop the headliner. Try replacing the switch first though. Good luck.

Craig

Wheelman322
07-15-07, 08:17 PM
Dope,

Don't use the pwr ant switch as a replacement, as it has a "hold" position in the "up" setting. The def switch is just like the astroroof switch in that you have to hold it to keep it in the direction you want.

As to accessing the motor, you must drop the headliner. Try replacing the switch first though. Good luck.

Craig

Yep,
That's why I said use a rear defog switch...The power antenna switch has a locking up position which would burn your motor out if accidentally left there. BTW, just like previously mentioned, look for a little round plug in the headliner and pull it out. Behind that is a hex lug that you can turn to open and close the moonroof. At least you'll never get stuck with it open.

DopeStar 156
07-16-07, 12:31 AM
Yep,
That's why I said use a rear defog switch...The power antenna switch has a locking up position which would burn your motor out if accidentally left there. BTW, just like previously mentioned, look for a little round plug in the headliner and pull it out. Behind that is a hex lug that you can turn to open and close the moonroof. At least you'll never get stuck with it open.

Oh cool. I didn't know the antenna switch locked in a position, I just thought it functioned the same way. I guess I'll replace it with a defogger switch.

So there's a plug I can remove to get to the hex crank? I just pull a plug out and don't have to rip/cut up the headliner?

Wheelman322
07-16-07, 12:53 AM
So there's a plug I can remove to get to the hex crank? I just pull a plug out and don't have to rip/cut up the headliner?

Yeah, there should be a little round circle on the roof next to the glass panel. If you pull it gently it should pop right out. There is a little hex tool (usually in the glovebox) that fits a hex fitting behind the plug. Like someone else mentioned, if the hex tool is missing, any hex set should fit.

77CDV
07-16-07, 11:45 AM
IIRC, the manual crank will only close the roof, not open it. At least, that's what it says in the 77 owner's manual. Maybe 76 was different, but if it is just the switch, I'd try replacing it first before doing anything drastic with the manual crank. You may end up damaging the winding gear if you try using the manual override to open the roof.

DopeStar 156
07-16-07, 05:07 PM
I found said hex crank. The tool however is nowhere to be found, but I did find an allen key in the car a while ago when I was cleaning it out which would explain its presence there. I have allen keys that are meant to attach to a 3/8 drive ratchet so it won't be so hard on the wrists. The switch opens the roof just fine, closing is it's weak point but thanks to you cool kids I now know how to close the thing should it ever get stuck open again. Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll keep my eyes open for a defogger switch to swap it out with.

I also might paint the plug so it doesn't look so out of place in the car. Most likely so it matches the headliner. Thanks for all the help.......