: Peformance mods

Fastwithclass
07-13-07, 09:36 PM
As a new '07 SRX owner I'm interested in any information from forum members regarding available performance mods for the V8 Northstar. I haven't seen much on this so maybe you could point me in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, 320 hp is nothing to sneeze at but I always like a little more. I have made air intake, exhaust, etc. mods to my Grand National and Corvette and would hope there is some room for improvement with this great engine and chassis. Any help kindly appreciated!

Smokin' SRX
07-14-07, 11:04 AM
As a new '07 SRX owner I'm interested in any information from forum members regarding available performance mods for the V8 Northstar. I haven't seen much on this so maybe you could point me in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, 320 hp is nothing to sneeze at but I always like a little more. I have made air intake, exhaust, etc. mods to my Grand National and Corvette and would hope there is some room for improvement with this great engine and chassis. Any help kindly appreciated!

I PUT IN A K&N AIR FILTER AND SAW MODEST GAS/POWER IMPROVEMENTS! NOT A LOT BUT IT'S TOO EASY not TO DO! ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER SAYS HE ADDED ANOTHER INTAKE HOLE TO THE AIR BOX HOUSING. NO OTHER DETAILS. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

JoeCool
09-16-07, 11:43 AM
volant cold air intake corsa exhaust

shanekennedy
09-17-07, 07:53 AM
has anyone built headers for the srx?

TSS
09-17-07, 08:14 AM
I did the K&N drop-in on my 06 V8 AWD and noticed a difference - no BS. I have always used K&N drop-ins. Sometimes I notice a difference, sometimes not. On this one, definitely yes.

pietroraimondi
09-20-07, 01:40 AM

There is not much available in the aftermarket with regard to "off the shelf" products for the SRX. We recently purchased a 2007 SRX AWD Northstar and have yet to touch it.

The 2004 SRX that we sold had the following modifications done to it:

Cylinder Heads had a mild port and polish to remove the CNC tooling marks.
Throttle Body was ported and polished
Factory intake was removed and replaced with a Volant CAI
Factory exhaust manifolds were extrude honed and jet hot coated
Corsa Cat-back exhaust was installed.
Eibach Pro-kit and sways installed.
14" custom built two piece rotors installed with 6 piston calipers
Custom 6x115mm 20" 45mm offset wheels installed
Toyo UHP rubber installed

I had looked into having a set of custom headers made for the SRX with high flow cats and the price I was quoted was $2700 including installation.

73Thumper
09-20-07, 09:20 AM
pietroraimondi, wow you did a fair amount - what was the final thought as to your mods? I hope to go with the Corsa and Volant - maybe a reflash - nothing else. Also as you have the Corsa installed - your impression of the sound?

I understand you sold but would also love to have you post a pic or 2...

pietroraimondi
09-28-07, 11:00 AM
pietroraimondi, wow you did a fair amount - what was the final thought as to your mods? I hope to go with the Corsa and Volant - maybe a reflash - nothing else. Also as you have the Corsa installed - your impression of the sound?

I understand you sold but would also love to have you post a pic or 2...

I'm a huge fan of the SRX and have been so since its inception. It's actually my wife's car and back in 2004 we were in the market for a new luxury SUV for her. I of course wanted the Escalade, but in all practicality...it was too much vehicle for her it terms of size.

The SRX fit like a glove. The first one we purchased was a 2004 AWD Northstar in Diamond White with every factory option for her and she had a love affair with the vehicle so much that we returned to the same dealership this May and purchased an 07 SRX AWD Northstar in Diamond White with all of the factory options.

What I love about the 2007 is the Sport Package. The front and rear bumper fascias with the forged mirror polished 20" aluminum wheels are outstanding looking and give the vehicle a very strong stance. The new interior with regard to it's fit, finish and materials is light years ahead of the 2004.

But the most important thing is that she enjoys it as it is. I'm the one that can't leave "well enough" alone and have to "change things" as my dear wife says!

If your going to install the Volant CAI and Corsa axle-back muffler package...you won't need a reflash and the dealer certainly won't do it for you with their Tech II.

You would really only need a reflash if you were installing 4 new cams with a more aggresive grind. And by doing that you would also need to replace the stock valve springs as well. Failing to do so could cause you to over rev the engine and grenade a lifter and then quite possibly the whole engine. But in doing so an aggressive cam grind will probably yield another 75 HP over stock and would run about $2500 with installation which is well worth it. I will probably undertake this on our new 07 along with porting and polishing the cylinder heads as I did previously on the 04 SRX.

As I had made previous mention, one of the things that I did do on th 04 SRX was a mild porting and polishing of the cylinder heads myself. There are some minor problems with the production cylinder heads. When the valve seats are machined, there is a sharp corner left on the short side as well as allot of rough CNC tooling marks from manufacturing. I radiused the corners along with doing some work in the intake ports and sanded out the CNC tooling marks. This porting and polishing of the cylinder heads probably netted an additional 25-30 horsepower at the crank. The extrude hone of the factory exhaust manifolds and jet hot coating was probably good for perhaps 8-10 BHP.

I would estimate that the Volant CAI and Corsa exhaust were good for maybe 20-25 HP at best; so all told I was able to increase the BHP from 320 to perhaps 375HP and would venture to guess that 365 FWHP is probably a very fair and accurate estimate without it ever seeing a dyno on the 2004 SRX. So all told; the cylinder head work, exhaust manifolds, CAI and Corsa bumped the FWHP an additional 45HP to perhaps 365.

To answer your direct question, I would highly recommend to you the Volant CAI and the Corsa exhaust system. The simpliest and cheapest way to increase horsepower is to get more air in and more air out and the Volant and Corsa do both of those things.

You can actually go to the Corsa website and there is a sound clip of the Corsa system on a Cadillac STS with the 4.6 Northstar. The STS Northstar Corsa system is identical to the same one on the SRX Northstar. The Corsa has a more throatier sound for sure, but there is no cabin drone or penetration of sound into the vehicle in my opinion, but everyone's ears are different.

But the Corsa and the Volant should run you about $1300. The Volant you can install yourself and a muffler shop can install the Corsa in less than 2 hours maximum; so figure another $150 for shop labor.

Other than those two items; there is unfortunately not much to choose from in "off the shelf" performance items for the Northstar engine and there are only two engine builders in the country that have done any significant amount of work on the Northstar to offer any sound warranted advice or service work with regard to performance modifications as there is not enough market demand for companies to bring aftermarket products to the market.

I also built some custom brakes for the 2004 SRX by sourcing a number of different components. I had billet aluminum rotor hats designed by a CAD engineer and then machined by a tool and die machining company. I then attached the rotor hats to 14" cross drilled brake rotors that I was able to order/buy "off the shelf". I utilized the same Brembo 4 piston brake calipers that are on the STS-V and had them ceramic coated in a Porsche "Guards Red" color. The big brake modification as I call it provided a world of difference in braking performance compared to the stock brake rotors and PBR calipers

The braking upgrade was not all that difficult; fairly inexpensive to do and aside from the performance advantage; it makes a really strong visual statement with Red Brembo brake calipers clamping down on 14" brake rotors all sitting behind a nice set of 20" aftermarket wheel rims.

Hopefully; I've answered some of your questions and have been of some help to you. If you need help with anything else or have any additional questions, feel free to PM me and I usually get back within a day or two.

Like you; I now have a new 2007 SRX that is 4 months old and has less than 1500 miles on it and nothing yet has been done! I will probably tackle the brakes sometime in the next week or two and install another Brembo Caliper 14" big brake kit, new lowering springs and sway bars to get started.

Anyway, congratulations on your SRX....it's an incredible vehicle and I feel very confident that you will have a very pleasant ownership experience.

ckrichards
10-11-07, 09:01 AM
I also built some custom brakes for the 2004 SRX by sourcing a number of different components. I had billet aluminum rotor hats designed by a CAD engineer and then machined by a tool and die machining company. I then attached the rotor hats to 14" cross drilled brake rotors that I was able to order/buy "off the shelf". I utilized the same Brembo 4 piston brake calipers that are on the STS-V and had them ceramic coated in a Porsche "Guards Red" color. The big brake modification as I call it provided a world of difference in braking performance compared to the stock brake rotors and PBR calipers

The braking upgrade was not all that difficult; fairly inexpensive to do and aside from the performance advantage; it makes a really strong visual statement with Red Brembo brake calipers clamping down on 14" brake rotors all sitting behind a nice set of 20" aftermarket wheel rims.

Hello,

I would like to put on new rotors/calipers front and rear.

I haven't seen any high performance calipers available for the SRX. www.autoanything.com only has slotted rotors available. You are saying the STS-V brembo calipers/rotors will fit the SRX though with no mods? I have to get those through Cadillac though?

pietroraimondi
10-15-07, 02:50 AM
Hello,

I would like to put on new rotors/calipers front and rear.

I haven't seen any high performance calipers available for the SRX. www.autoanything.com (http://www.autoanything.com) only has slotted rotors available. You are saying the STS-V brembo calipers/rotors will fit the SRX though with no mods? I have to get those through Cadillac though?

In order to do a brembo brake conversion on an SRX you would need the following STS-V Components; the front and rear STS-V Brembo calipers, pads, mounting hardware, brake lines and rotors.

In addition; due to the wheel offset; you would need four new wheel rims from the following choices only: CTSV OEM Wheels 18x8.5 or the CTSV OEM Forged Polished Accessory Wheels at 18x8.5 or the new 2007/2008 SRX 20" OEM Sport Package Wheels at 20x9.5"

The offset on the standard 18" SRX wheels, STS wheels and STS-V wheels will not work with this conversion.

Total cost of the conversion will run somewhere in the neighborhood of $4500 when all is said and done.

If you would like anymore particulars and are interesed in undertaking this project; please feel free to email or PM me at your convenience.

pietroraimondi
10-15-07, 03:22 AM
has anyone built headers for the srx?

There is absolutely no question that a set of stainless steel long tube headers and high flow cats along with the Volant CAI and Corsa axle-back exhaust system would really have an impact on the HP and Torque of the SRX.

Several years ago; I was quoted $2500 for a set of custom made long tube headers for the SRX.

One of the most reputable builders in the industry would by Kooks.

If Kooks was able to manufacture us a set of long tube headers and high flow cats for a price in the neighborhood of $1500....how many would be seriously interested as in NOW?

I have never contacted them, but I would imagine that they would want a minimum order of 10 if not more to undertake something like this.

A quality made stainless steel long tube header with high flow cats that has been jet-hot coated can easily add an additional 30+ hp to the Northstar V8 engine.

So realistically; aside from myself and one other I know...who would be interested in perhaps pursuing this with Kook's?

tjm183
07-14-09, 08:18 PM
Hello Everyone

Iím new to the forum and would welcome any and all input. Can you please tell me if it is worth purchasing the cold air intake? Iím interested in performance modifications for my í04 SRX V8 and I was considering the volant cold air intake as one of the upgrades. Iím also considering the Corsa cat-back exhaust, bit someone warned me about the sound resonance within the vehicle. Iím open to any and all advice. Thank you for you time.

Regards,
Tom

tjm183
07-14-09, 08:22 PM
i just went to corsaperf.com and they only list '05 to '07 SRX's for compatible exhaust systems. I have an '04 SRX V8 AWD. Does anyone else have an 04 with an exhaust upgrade?