Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  z06bigbird 
#1 ·
I may be relocating to Austin where I'm based out of in the real near future and was curious about the offerings down there. I'm usually in Austin 4-6 times a year, so I know that there is plenty of entertainment there, and will probably move into the Round Rock school district if I do go.

With that being said, How are the dealership(s)? Any places to race (drag/twisties)? How much is the ticket if I don't put on an ugly front plate? Anything else you can think of about the car scene?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Drive up to the DFW area...last month we had 12 V's at a hooters car show.

#5 ·
why don't you let me know when you have the next meet... preferably sometime soon, like before the end of august or something.

i'd drive up there for the weekend for sure. i've got some friends in DFW i need to visit in the car anyway.

so yeah, next time you have a DFW meet, count me and my ride in.

#3 ·
How much is the ticket if I don't put on an ugly front plate?

Thanks.

Not to sure about the dealers but knock on wood, its been 5 months now for me with no front plate and haven't got pulled over yet, some guys say they've done it for years. Keep a plate under your seat or in your trunk and if you do get pulled over tell them you took it off for show.

#4 ·
I'm going on 2 months and no ticket...i dont even have holes drilled in the front

#6 ·
Any places to race (drag/twisties)?

Thanks.
I don't know what kind of terrain you are used to, but here in Texas we have a lot flat land. In contrast, Austin, a.k.a. the "Hill Country" is known for hills and elevation changes. It also has a lot of area lakes. As a result, a lot of us in Texas like to go the Austin area to ride motorcycles and drive sports cars around that area. In sum, its is V Country. Finally, Austin has a lot of students operating on "daddy's money" so you will see a lot of fine machinery, some of which is automotive.

#9 ·
I guess I should have been more specific. Looking for tracks to run the car at. I thought I heard of a dragstrip in Georgetown, but I'm not positive.

How far of a drive is DFW? 3 1/2 - 4 hours? Wouldn't mind getting together with you guys.

I think I will take my chances on the front plate. Takes away from all the hard work the designers put in to it in the first place! :)

#7 ·
Mex food in better and cheaper in San Antonio, one hour+ south of Austin if traffic is not heavy.

Study the traffic volumes prior to selecting living quarters. College town. Hi tech, good income, lakes nearby. Traffic on 35 North and South is a real bear in am and in pm.

Week ends too--sometimes all day.
35 is main artery from Mex to Dallas.

#8 ·
Mex food in better and cheaper in San Antonio, one hour+ south of Austin if traffic is not heavy.

Study the traffic volumes prior to selecting living quarters. College town. Hi tech, good income, lakes nearby. Traffic on 35 North and South is a real bear in am and in pm.

Week ends too--sometimes all day.
35 is main artery from Mex to Dallas.
Your critical of Austin because they can't compete with San Antonio when it comes to Mexican food. Man you tough.

#13 ·
enjoy the rain :)
Rain? What rain? Its been sunny and in the 90's! The platinum V looks beautiful after the bikini car wash...well ok...maybe they missed a few spots but who cares!

#11 ·
With that being said, How are the dealership(s)? Any places to race (drag/twisties)? How much is the ticket if I don't put on an ugly front plate? Anything else you can think of about the car scene?

Thanks.
I've had my V for 2 years now and have never had the pleasure of bringing it in to Covert for service. A week from Monday will by my first time (state inspection and fix for peeling AC vent above NAV unit).

I've got a front plate on the V, but I went 3 years without getting ticketed in my M3 (which stood out much more - Laguna Seca Blue).

It appears we have quite a few V local owners/members on the board here. One of these days we will all get together for a meet.

Welcome to Austin/Round Rock !

-- Lee

#16 ·
Austin? What...do y'all have 3 V's down there? You should roll up to the mighty DFW for our next meet. That is if you like seeing 13+ V's at once.

#12 ·
Austin is the Cambridge or Berkley of Texas. It's a communist pimple on the ass of an otherwise right-thinking state.

You'll find young 20-something co-eds wearing Che Guevara t-shirts -not because they think its chic like most brain dead morons- but because they actually know who he is and like what he stood for.

#14 ·
Gadamn hippies! :want:

#19 ·
I was raised in Round Rock before I came out to LA. Loved it. It's home. Don't worrry about too much police in Round Rock and North I-35. But don't speed in Cedar Park and I-83 past McNeil. I swear thats where all the bored and easily angered bottom-dwelling police dwell. Too many tickets, citations and run ins there...Haha. But I think you'll love Austin and Round Rock. Great place to raise a family. If you have to live in TX, live in Austin.

#22 ·
BTW, had my V in for a state inspection and replacement of a peeling piece of trim (right above AC vent on top of NAV). Covert did a good job. Called me when they said they would and gave me a choice between free coffee cups or tee shirts to take home with me.

-- Lee

#25 ·
In regard to cars in Austin, there are regular car shows (groupies???) with tons of classic cars. Caddies from 50s and 60s. Nice 58 coupe last year with shaved door handles. Tons of motorcycles and their festivities. They gather down on 6th street where there are tons of restaurants and knick knack shops of interest to many people. Austin is a college town, and over the past 20 years it has become another silicon valley. Unbelieveable computer growth here.

There is a guy in Austin called The Fatman. He wrote most of the music for video games. Now he drives a Rolls, has a mansion on Lake Travis, and owns some BBQ restaurants. He (legitimately) invites 20 year old (computer and game geeks) to his house on week ends. They shoot the breeze about video stuff, eat BBQ at his restaurants, etc. He even gives them rides in his Rolls. Everybody loves it. By the way, I hear he is a skinny looking cowboy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.