: 99 N* Issue

whitediamondsts99
07-13-07, 06:40 PM
I've had my car since Jan. 07. I've put coolant in it one time when i noticed the check coolant level, didn't think nothing of it. That was in April when I did that. When I was detailing my engine bay about a week ago I noticed it was a little low from the full point, maybe an inch down. Should I be concerned about this, I'm aware of the HG problem but the engine doesn't smell of coolant level or leak anything. It has 76k miles and has been documently serviced. I'm almost thinking of just getting rid of it before this should happen. Thanks for the replies!

eldorado1
07-13-07, 09:03 PM
The system isn't exactly a perfectly sealed system... An inch in 7 months sounds pretty normal to me.. If you're concerned, as a preventative measure you can add the coolant supplement. This will block any minor leaks you might have, that could cause what youre seeing.

Ranger
07-13-07, 09:41 PM
The system isn't exactly a perfectly sealed system.
It IS a sealed system and should never need topping off unless there is a leak somewhere.

eldorado1
07-14-07, 07:37 PM
It IS a sealed system and should never need topping off unless there is a leak somewhere.

All my cars must leak then. I have to top them all up every year... usually it's less than an inch low. I figure it's due to evaporation (the surge tank is open to the atmosphere) or miniscule leaks somewhere... The equivalent of a drop a week isn't worth my effort to find.

Ranger
07-14-07, 07:56 PM
No, the surge tank is NOT open to atmosphere like a recovery tank (which has the cap on the radiator). The surge tank is sealed. If you have to top it off, you do have a leak somewhere albeit a very minor one.