: Test drove the 2008 STS

ssstealth
07-13-07, 05:40 PM
I was working in Nashville this week and found that Andrews Cadillac in Brentwood had one on the lot. It was White Diamond with all the options.

The grill is definately better and the (partial) chrome door handles are a nice touch. The key fob is really nice... much classier than 05-07. The steering wheel is interesting as they give you room for 12 buttons but only give you 10. They have added a "cruise cancel" function and an extra menu button. The heads up display is VERY cool but no longer shows the cruise set speed. That may be something that happens when you have the ACC system.

The lane departure system and blind spot indicators work pretty well. There is a green dash indicator to let you know when the lines are visible and the system is active. As long as you use your signals you can cross a line without any warning, otherwise you get beeped at. The blind spot warnings in the outside mirrors work well too but do give some false alarms with high burms, poles, and retaining walls. This is one of those things that may get annoying after time. The good news is that you can quickly disable one or both sides from the config screen on the NAV system.

The new V6 engine is great. This could easily be mistaken as a V8 and has plenty of power to move the car well.

urbanski
07-13-07, 05:46 PM
cool review, thanks :)

soupero
07-14-07, 12:47 PM
No pics!!!!!!!!! :(

surburban99
07-16-07, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the info. Do you know of a site where one can see photos of the 2008?

ascariSTS
07-16-07, 06:46 AM
I saw one for sale on E-Bay... It has many pictures there... The key fob looks nice :)

Force-1
07-16-07, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info. Do you know of a site where one can see photos of the 2008?

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/MediaNav/styleId=100886908/firstNav=Gallery/photoId=undefined

MARKVIII
07-16-07, 02:54 PM
i noticed by the pictures on ebay that they now have an area by the controls for the moon roof to turn off and on the passenger air-bag. would have been nice to include that in the other models as well. i like the new grill and some of the chrome enhancements. i do not like the new metel/wood trim around the nav screen. the metel looks cheap. i like the added steering wheel functions.

Number 3
07-16-07, 05:51 PM
Man.......maybe I should have waited!

dhemrick
07-16-07, 09:07 PM
i noticed by the pictures on ebay that they now have an area by the controls for the moon roof to turn off and on the passenger air-bag. would have been nice to include that in the other models as well.

Are you referring to the eBay auction for the 2008 STS at the following link?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-STS-6000-OFF-2008-CADILLAC-STS-SUNROOF-BOSE-NAV-PERFORMACE-PACKAGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ124117QQihZ001Q QitemZ110148827771QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#lg

They show a good closeup of the area where the moonroof controls are located showing the passenger airbag indicator.

I have a 2006 STS-V and this is identical to the panel on my car. I thought this was universal across all STS models, but maybe not. I cannot actually manually control whether or not the airbag is on or off. It is off automatically if no one is sitting there, and turns on if someone sits down. Also, this is where the passenger seat belt indicator lights up in red if the passenger is seated but doesn't fasten their seatbelt.

Lord Cadillac
07-16-07, 11:46 PM
A million 2008 Cadillac STS pictures can be found here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/3021

When is Cadillac going to start 'selling' the new STS?

Cajonkev
07-17-07, 02:17 AM
i noticed by the pictures on ebay that they now have an area by the controls for the moon roof to turn off and on the passenger air-bag.

As stated earlier not a control but an inicator only. It was added with the 06 model release moving forward...

MARKVIII
07-17-07, 06:24 AM
yeah my '05 does not have this indicator. wonder why they retrofitted it in '06?

soupero
07-17-07, 05:26 PM
wow time flies!!

I really dislike the new steering wheel, it looks so cheap.

I actually don't like the facelift at all, the front grill looks horrible same for the vents on the side. Glad to have the old one! :D

MARKVIII
07-17-07, 05:38 PM
the wheel is actually the same shape and design as the old one except for the extra function buttons. i think the grill looks good. its all subjective.

soupero
07-18-07, 01:00 PM
But the thing in the middle, looks different?!

rb92gt
07-18-07, 08:14 PM
Interesting. I thought there would have been more changes. I actually dislike the changes they made. The grill is too overwhelming, looks like prison bars. I dislike the steering wheel as well. I'm surprised they kept the yellow digital readout for the air conditioning control... they look like they are ripped out of a car from the 90s and stuck in the dash. I wonder why cadi doesn't make them the same color as the gauges.