: Manufacturer Plates

Playdrv4me
07-13-07, 03:47 PM
When I was driving back from North carolina this past tuesday, I spotted something I had never seen before out in the wild, and quite frankly had forgotten even existed... A Pontiac Grand PRIX GXP V8, near a gas station in Jacksonville, FL. What made me think it was something special was the fact that it had a plate on it that was flat colored and said MANUFACTURER. I hadnt seen the GXP since the concept so I thought it was a one-off, which I quickly realized was not the case; they were just crappy sellers with an impossibly cramped engine bay.

However vehicle aside, what special advantages does a Manufacturer plate afford someone, and/or why do they have to identify themselves that way. You Michigan guys probably know more about this... I think thats where the car was from, Im pretty sure the plate was blue with white lettering or something like that.

Jonas McFeely
07-13-07, 06:59 PM
I saw a red GXP V8 on I-4 a few days ago. I too, did a double take. I saw the V8 badge and was like WTF? I had never seen one before.

And get this, a woman was driving it!

urbanski
07-13-07, 07:00 PM
:jonas:

nope

Sandy
07-13-07, 07:10 PM
303 H.P. and they go like stink! There are 3 in my hometown. 2 Black in & out & one Red with black Int. & moonroof with chromed stock rims. Sharp cars & rariety is a ++:bouncy:

c5 rv
07-13-07, 08:41 PM
The state of Michigan issues manufacturer plates to automakers to use on test vehicles being driven on public roads. They are not intended to be used on executive cars.

RedGalant2k1
07-13-07, 09:38 PM
The state of Michigan issues manufacturer plates to automakers to use on test vehicles being driven on public roads. They are not intended to be used on executive cars.

Yea that. Though plant managers usually use them.

I love that part of living in Michigan. I've see prototypes of practically every car on the road. I saw a 2008 Jeep Liberty the other day, I've seen a few 2008 CTS's.

c5 rv
07-13-07, 11:50 PM
Many of the M-plated cars are packed with data recorders and other analysis equipment. Some are evaluation units provided to auto mags and other press. I remember there was some controversy a number of years ago about automakers abusing the M plates for executive cars.

LS1Mike
07-13-07, 11:52 PM
I wanted the GXP FWD V8...It is 5.3. The wife wanted the 3.2 CTS...Blah.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-13-07, 11:57 PM
I like the GXP a lot, saw one tonight, it was white. Even though the Impala/Monte SS is pretty much the same thing, I'd go for the GXP just because that exterior design is much more lively.

96Fleetwood
07-14-07, 07:55 AM
I see them all over between Detroit and Chicago. The last one I saw was what appeared to be a Dodge Charger SRT-8.. but it had E85/Flex Fuel emblems and was bright orange.

As was said before, I think they are test vehicles... trying to see how they perform in the "real world."

c5 rv
07-14-07, 08:15 AM
... trying to see how they perform in the "real world."

Folks away from Detroit are going to see more M-plates because the auto companies seem to be selling off their cold and hot weather proving grounds.

Playdrv4me
07-15-07, 06:39 PM
Yea thats what was interesrting was that this cars already been out since 2005 and the tires even looked kinda worn... id bet it was an exec car with mfr plates slapped on it like c5 mentioned

c5 rv
07-15-07, 07:58 PM
Sometimes they take older models and turn then into mules with future powertrains. It looks just like a 3 year-old GM, but then you notice the electronic equipment on the dash and non-standard exhaust pipes.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-15-07, 08:56 PM
well they also use those to transport some lemon law or gm buy back cars ...saw it happen twice , one was a xlr , someone from gm came , put that plate on and drove off , the other was a 6 speed GTO