Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Swappable Parts

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DopeStar 156 
#1 ·
I had a couple questions about swapping parts from the 77-92 era RWD cars and the 71-76 ones.

1. Can one put a radio in a '76 that came from an '80-'84 with the digital clock and cassette player?

2. Can one install the electronically controlled side view mirrors on a '76 and replace the manual control ones?

If I could do both these swaps it'd make things a lot easier......

#2 ·
At some point the radios had a common chassis ground to the speakers, and later the speaker wiring changed to having a negative wire and positive wire for each speaker (2-wires p/speaker). What does your '76 have?

Of course, if you're going to do new wiring none of that would matter.

#3 ·
I'm not sure actually. Without a shop manual I have no idea how to begin taking the dash apart to get to the radio. There's a Pioneer CD player in there now which is being sold in favor of a more original radio, probably one from an 81 with the cassette player.......

#4 ·
All factory Cadillac stereos from at least 1971 to 1998 used a floating speaker wiring setup. Neither wire can be grounded. Older and newer are not part of my experience. Speaker plug pinouts are stamped right into the factory stereo cover. Otherwise pairs can be found by scratching a pair of suspected leads across a 1.5 volt battery. You will hear static when you find a pair. DON'T leave it hooked up for more than a brief few seconds in case you get across 12 volts. This will overheat a battery and make it into a chemical jihad.

#7 ·
The radio will physically fit, though you'll need to locate right knobs for a 71-76, as the ones from 77 on used the wood look and the older ones were stylized chrome. As to the mirrors, you would have to find a way to get the new electrical works into the existing housings, as the style of the base changed from 76 to 77-79. The 80+ is similar, but I think the neck is shorter. You may be able to just switch out the upper part of the housing, which I think is the same from 76 to 77 and up. Confirm the screw pattern that holds them together. Then of course you have to do the wiring, which is another issue. Good luck.

Craig

#8 ·
Actually I have the correct knobs I'm just missing the radio. I'd prefer the early 80's model more because of the digital clock and cassette deck as opposed to the 8-Track and the odometer looking clock on the dash which isn't functional......

The mirrors I guess I could live with seeing as they work well enough.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.