: XM-Ipod Kit for 04-06 SRX w/o Nav

SRX-V
07-12-07, 08:31 PM
Just purchased a kit for my 05 NS RWD w/o Nav/XM to add XM and an Ipod cable thru the factory Bose Stereo system. I plan to have installed next week. The link for purchase is:
http://www.oem-auto-accessory.com/caddipod_xm_xm_direct_kit_with_ipod_for_2004_2006_ cts_srx.html
The web site is:www.oem-auto-accessory.com and the phone number is 1-866-380-0529. I will post photos after installation.

Paulie Walnuts
07-16-07, 11:04 AM
Let us all know how you like it - I have been gettin' nagged by various "team" members to get this sort of thing. Radio reception in the Pine Barrens is really bad.

SRX-V
07-18-07, 11:08 PM
Received the kit today which includes 3 cables, 1 XM receiver,1 XM/I-pod "modulator", 1 XM antenna and 1 I-pod cord. The vendor and the instructions advise Cadillac dealer installation due to the need for a "Tech 2" programmer to reset the factory radio to properly "read" the XM receiver and the XM/Ipod modulator. After installation, I will advise on the operation of the XM and I-pod. I have requested that the I-pod cable be accessed thru the "ash tray" compartment at the base of the central dash tower due to the ease of access of the I-pod unit while seated in the drivers seat. The vendor recommends cable placement in the glove box, but that is a greater distance away from the driver seat and seems an inconvenient location to me.

Paulie Walnuts
07-19-07, 08:31 AM
Thanks - please keep us posted and shoot some pic's of the final install. I really want to add this if it works well.

terryk
07-19-07, 05:14 PM
Anyone know how this compares to the US Spec PA11-Vet? That one will work on systems with XM but no Nav. Your XM still works.

Terry

SRX-V
08-09-07, 11:42 PM
I had the XM-Ipod adaptor installed by Massey Cadillac in Orlando, FL last week. They did a great job and charged $300.00 for a very professional installation. I have been very pleased with the operation of this adaptor and recommend its use for anyone with a 2004 to 2006 SRX or CTS with the Bose stereo system but without the factory navigation system. I tried to upload photographs of the Ipod connected to the cable to this posting, but was not successful.

simshady
08-10-07, 12:28 AM
I had the XM-Ipod adaptor installed by Massey Cadillac in Orlando, FL last week. They did a great job and charged $300.00 for a very professional installation. I have been very pleased with the operation of this adaptor and recommend its use for anyone with a 2004 to 2006 SRX or CTS with the Bose stereo system but without the factory navigation system. I tried to upload photographs of the Ipod connected to the cable to this posting, but was not successful.

Were you able to hook it up so that the iPod is accessible through the ash tray area?

SRX-V
08-10-07, 09:22 PM
Instead of the ash tray area, the Cadillac Technician pulled the wire/connector through the cup holder area of the console. A small cut was made in the plastic tray on the "coin holder" area, closest to the driver seat. In this way, the Ipod can be connected and placed in one of the two cup holders. He left enough cable so that I can also place the Ipod on its side in front of the arm rest storage bin so that 2 cups can still be placed in the cup holder with the Ipod connected. This XM-Ipod adaptor is a great addition to the vehicle.

simshady
08-18-07, 06:47 PM
Instead of the ash tray area, the Cadillac Technician pulled the wire/connector through the cup holder area of the console. A small cut was made in the plastic tray on the "coin holder" area, closest to the driver seat. In this way, the Ipod can be connected and placed in one of the two cup holders. He left enough cable so that I can also place the Ipod on its side in front of the arm rest storage bin so that 2 cups can still be placed in the cup holder with the Ipod connected. This XM-Ipod adaptor is a great addition to the vehicle.

Hi SRX-V.
Thanks again for all of the info you've provided. My Caddy dealership doesn't touch radios, so I asked the audio installation company that they recommended about this. They were unaware of this part you describe, but I told them about it, and I think I'm going to let them do the install.

I had one more question - hope you don't mind...
Once the iPod was installed, can you still control it w/ the iPod itself...or do you have to use the factory stereo to control? Also, is using the factory stereo controls to control the iPod and XM satisfactory for you? Or...do you think one would be better off installing an external XM interface, etc.

Thanks again for all of your help!!! I'm dying to get this done.

SRX-V
08-18-07, 07:39 PM
This modulator kit only lets you control the I-Pod through the factory stereo system. A detailed set of instructions are included which describe how to use the factory system to control the I-pod.

The factory stereo system controls work well for both the XM Radio as well as the I-Pod system. If this system had not been available, I would not have installed any of the "external" aftermarket systems. I prefer a "stock" appearance to the interior of the SRX.

For other more detailed technical questions, I suggest that you contact the website that sells this kit. They can provide even more detailed information.

simshady
08-19-07, 12:29 AM
Thanks again. Will call the company you reference above on Monday. BTW...that part's on sale now for $275! Really appreciate all of your help!

SRX-V
08-19-07, 06:24 PM
Good luck with the XM-Ipod kit. I hope that you are as happy with its performance as I am.

Jmale
08-21-07, 12:07 AM
Anyone know if there's just an ipod kit (hardwire)?

I don't need/want XM.

Thanks

guitarbob
08-21-07, 07:06 PM
Is there a similar unit that does not have the Ipod feature? Wouldn't mind having XM radio in the Caddie but have no need or desire for Ipod compatibility. And does anyone have any experience with such a unit?
Thanks in advance for any answers.

Jmale
08-21-07, 08:30 PM
BTW. This is still a modulator kit using XM to transport the signal from your Ipod.

More than likely the sound quality will be indiscernible from a hard wire config. and although I would prefer a hardwire this maybe the only option.

The GM solution on most new vehicles coming soon will have this same config. :(

Conform or use your CD changer...I love Bose :)

terryk
08-21-07, 09:22 PM
Are you sure it's a modulator? It would have to tie into VCIM and I can't imagine someone would actually design an interface and then use FM modulation to pass the audio.

I think it's a straight Class 2 interface for the controls and just uses the standard audio XM audio in.

I have wondered if the RSE input could be activated without having an RSE box on the Class 2 bus. Hmmmm... time to ponder.

SRX-V
08-21-07, 09:34 PM
For detailed answers to all of these technical questions I suggest that you contact the web site listed on page 1 of this posting. This unit is also available for XM Radio without the I-Pod adapter.

Jmale
08-21-07, 10:04 PM
Are you sure it's a modulator? It would have to tie into VCIM and I can't imagine someone would actually design an interface and then use FM modulation to pass the audio.

I think it's a straight Class 2 interface for the controls and just uses the standard audio XM audio in.

I have wondered if the RSE input could be activated without having an RSE box on the Class 2 bus. Hmmmm... time to ponder.

"The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, not visible to the customer once installed, uses software, and is integrated through the radio’s digital XM Satellite Radio band. This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units, according to the folks at GM."

Not positive but why are these new units,now available direct from GM as well, only available with XM?

Its my understanding that we haven't had hardwire configurations earlier due to the Bose head unit (proprietary only and voltage specific to bose)

Maybe the XM radio band if for display purposes only????

It's a mystery and none of the aforementioned links provide any clarity

simshady
10-15-07, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

I've been searching this forum for months and putting off any purchase b/c no one can tell me if this is actually going to work. I've called my local dealer and provided my VIN and they're telling me that the car doesn't have XM.
That's all fine and dandy, but no one can tell me if it's XM ready. Is there any way to find out?
I'm dying over here.
I'm assuming the Caddi-Pod or something like it provides the XM receiver and antenna, so all I need to know is if I install the Caddipod and reflash the radio, is this sucker going to work or cost me $500 for nothing?
Please, please, please help me out.

Thanks a ton for your help.