: Ford CV Police Interceptors -- Any good?

Jesda
07-12-07, 08:13 AM
Going to look at a 1998 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor today. Might be an impulse buy if the price is right. This particular one, so I was told, was used as a supervisor car and never engaged in active police duty. Any opinions on them?

Rolex
07-12-07, 08:43 AM
Those are a big stable car for sure. I'd guess a supervisor car wouldn't have the same hard wear and tear that a patrol car would. They're not particularly fast, but they've been favored for their stability and power. It would be tuff for someone to pull off the "PIT" maneuver on you. :D

The best part of those cars is, like other fleet vehicles, they're sold for a very reasonable price. It may be a pain getting the faded paint to look good, if it had stickers all over it.

ETA: the police interceptor package would be the preferred vehicle. IIRC they have a beefer suspension, tranny, and a little more power than the non-PI cars.

Wheelman322
07-12-07, 09:14 AM
I drive them every day and I love them. They are big,comfortable and easy to toss around b/c of the stiff suspension. They can take a hell of a beating, and are relatively cheap to fix. I have bought a few in the past for personal use, and I learned a few things from that...
1. The resale value is terrible, but you're looking at a 98 so it prob won't sink much lower.
2. Everyone advertises these as a supervisors car. If it is white, it was definately used for some type of patrol work. If it is a differant color (i.e : grey or blue) it was most likely used by ranking officers or maybe a detective unit, but that does not mean it didn't get beat on...(We beat the hell out of ours). Also look for signs of a cheap repaint. Poorly funded departments will slap a maaco job on an ex patrol car and let plain cloths officers use them till they're on their last leg.
3. Don't dress it up like an undercover police car...(real cops hate that and will harass you).

Florian
07-12-07, 09:41 AM
they tend to explode and catch fire when hit directly from the back...this is a known issue w/the CVs. Be sure that you get a 2004+ and you wont have this issue.

F

RunningOnEMT
07-12-07, 09:57 AM
they are nice enough ... i like the mooncaps on the wheels...

but, they really arent anything more special than the regular Crown Vics

they have taller rear gears (some even have 4.10's i think) for quicker takeoffs, but it limits top speed. And they have Trans and diff coolers if i'm not mistaken, but they ahve the same motor as a regular CV

Jesda
07-12-07, 09:59 AM
they tend to explode and catch fire when hit directly from the back...this is a known issue w/the CVs. Be sure that you get a 2004+ and you wont have this issue.

F

I heard about that. Apparently long screws from mounting police hardware poked the tank on impact. A kit can be added to remedy it.

96Fleetwood
07-12-07, 10:21 AM
They are nice, but not as solid as the Caprice 9C1.

There is a reason why 1998-2000 CV Interceptors are bringing the same money as 1995-1996 9C1 Caprice vehicles.

The tranny was the weak point on those cars, just make sure it up/down shifts properly.

Wheelman322
07-12-07, 11:36 AM

There is a reason why 1998-2000 CV Interceptors are bringing the same money as 1995-1996 9C1 Caprice vehicles.

The tranny was the weak point on those cars, just make sure it up/down shifts properly.

The 94-96 9C1 Caprice's are def. better cars. They're just getting harder to find with low mileage or one's that haven't been hacked up with 24" rims and an 8" lift.:nono:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-12-07, 12:57 PM
Meh, they're ok, but not as good as a TOWN CAR (or Fleetwood Brougham)! :D :D :D

Hold out for the Caddy, and if that's not possible, atleast the TC.

Night Wolf
07-12-07, 03:17 PM
I'd rock a Police Interceptor.... other then that, I'd want a Town Car.

Still, I'd like the idea of getting a retired white Crown Vic and driving it.... one that still has the spotlight and steel wheels with the little center caps, don't need to do anything else either.... it would be fun :)

parts are pretty cheap, and they are pretty reliable too.

eldorado99
07-13-07, 01:00 AM
I'd rock a Police Interceptor.... other then that, I'd want a Town Car.

Still, I'd like the idea of getting a retired white Crown Vic and driving it.... one that still has the spotlight and steel wheels with the little center caps, don't need to do anything else either.... it would be fun :)

parts are pretty cheap, and they are pretty reliable too.

Then we could call you Elwood... wolf...

Wheelman322
07-13-07, 01:40 AM
Then we could call you Elwood... wolf...

Or Night Blues.

Playdrv4me
07-13-07, 01:44 AM

Transmissions on all the RWD Ford mod V8's were only a problem through 1997, a fix was implemented for that in all 1998 MY vehicles including the 4.6 and 5.4L Expedition, Crown Victoria, and Mark VIII.

In my opinion, there is no cooler looking undercover car than a Crown Vic... The Caprices always looked like big turtles on wheels to me, and they get terrible body flex so they look old FAST. With the 98 Crown Vic it still looks like a 2004 model. The 92 and up Caprice couldnt hold a candle to the earlier box design, that was my favorite.

As far as "dressing it up" to look like a Cop car, or dressing it down, Im not sure what that means... Id just leave it the way it is. I mean im not gonna repaint an original paint car or put emblems on it that werent already there and ghetto it out. If other cops dont like it tough... thats half the fun of a Police Interceptor.

Wrestler07
07-13-07, 07:45 AM
I drive one of these every day with work... and every day I'm thankful when I get back in my caddy to go home!

96Fleetwood
07-13-07, 11:59 AM
I know a couple veteran police officers who say the P71 can't compare with the 9C1... but the new Hemi Chargers they say are the new 9C1 :thumbsup:

http://9c1.net/forum/uploads/1130102665/gallery_28_41_75937.jpg

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i20/04/a/000/77/89/b478_4.JPG

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a9/50/2c57_3.JPG

Night Wolf
07-13-07, 02:58 PM
Maybe its just me too, and the years I've grown up.... but I agree, the best undercover police car is defintily a Crown Vic.

Pull onto the freeway in a plane jane Vic, white, black steel wheels, aux spot light and an antenna mast.... with tinted windows... you've got more attention then someone in a Ferrari next to you :)

Playdrv4me
07-13-07, 04:32 PM
I know a couple veteran police officers who say the P71 can't compare with the 9C1... but the new Hemi Chargers they say are the new 9C1 :thumbsup:

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i20/04/a/000/77/89/b478_4.JPG

*THAT* IS *EXACTLY* the way Id want it. Those exact wheels, with the brushguard up front and just plain white. Not doin anything else to it to make it more police-like or less police-like... just like that.

CIWS
07-13-07, 05:23 PM
Ask Whisler, I believe it was a CV interceptor that was pursuing him before he started pulling away from it at over 130. :D

danbuc
07-13-07, 05:48 PM
The retrofit for the exploding gas tank, was an exploding fire extinguisher of sorts. Once the vehicle was hit, before flames could overtake the passenger compartment, the detonation of a chemical fire extinguisher system would instantly extinguish any flames. Safer, but still stupid.

KT9nP_3ULJ8

In my opinion, it would have been better to simply fix the problem in the first place, instead of slapping a band-aid on it, but alas...I am not a Ford Exec. and have no say.

LS1Mike
07-13-07, 07:31 PM
The early ones had an intake cracking problem, but they should all be fixed by now.
They are alright but....
LT1>4.6

Rolex
07-13-07, 07:52 PM
The CV interceptor has a top end of 130 IIRC. A long time ago there was a thread (maybe I was the OP) that had the quarter mile, 0-60, and top speed of all popular police cars.

Rolex
07-13-07, 07:56 PM
Page 3 belongs to Rolex. Here's the police car thread from 04:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-kill-stories-race-videos/16636-how-fast-police-cars.html

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-13-07, 10:48 PM
The early ones had an intake cracking problem, but they should all be fixed by now.
They are alright but....
LT1>4.6

Indeed! The intake cracking problem was like 1996-97, and the early, early (91-92) ones had a problem with some of the valves not sealing properly...would burn oil, make lots of blue smoke.

And yes, the LT-1 is infact better than the SOHC 4.6 in all ways except for one, the ignition system. I still can't figure out why GM used the optispark setup when they had distributorless ignition in some other engines (3800, Northstar), and Ford's 4.6 has always had distributorless ignition since 1991.

96Fleetwood
07-13-07, 11:02 PM
Optispark isn't as bad as some may think.. especially with the later 96-97 models. I have a friend who has 325,000 + miles on his original optispark. Most of the issues arise when people try to replace the waterpump themselves and get coolant all over the optispark, or letting a bad waterpump repeatedly weep on the optispark.

Red_October_7000
07-13-07, 11:20 PM
I remember once in Lowell there was for sale a Merc Marauder that was an undercover or some such at one point (the Marauder is actually a faster car than the P71); it had deep tint on the windows, the ram on the front and dual spotlights. It was also jet black! Damn if I had some money at that point... Talk about having traffic part like the red sea!

Does anyone know where to get spotlights? I've wanted one just for convenience's sake since I've had my car. All I can find are fake ones from JC whitney and that's just stupid.

LS1Mike
07-14-07, 12:56 AM
Optispark...Yummy I have two car with it. One lasted 123,000 miles, the other went to 130,000. Change your waterpump if it is bad! Swapped them out cars ran like new. One was a 94 Z28 the other a 96. So one vented opti and one that was not.

Night Wolf
07-14-07, 02:32 AM
man, after seeing the new Die Hard tonight.... I really want a Police Interceptor!

And a Freightliner.....

96Fleetwood
07-14-07, 08:28 AM
man, after seeing the new Die Hard tonight.... I really want a Police Interceptor!

You could sell your Lincoln and buy two 1998 P71s!:thumbsup:

CIWS
07-14-07, 09:29 AM

http://www.ciws.info/bluesbrothers.jpg

danbuc
07-14-07, 06:11 PM
http://www.ciws.info/bluesbrothers.jpg

What happen to the Caddy?

The what?

The Caddy...remember....?

Traded it...

For what?

A microphone....

Alright, I can see that..but what the hell is this piece of crap?

An old cruiser from the Chicago PD. Picked it up at the local auction a few months back. It's got Cop Shocks, Cop Tires, Cop Brakes, and was made before Unleaded so it'll run good on Regular......Why, You don't like it?

No, I don't.....

Fine.... *proceeds to drive over open draw bridge*:burn:

How about now?

Fix the cigarette lighter....