: steering wheel squeeking noise

THIERRY
07-12-07, 05:55 AM
Hi everybody,

My '05 STS V6 makes a squeeking noise when steering. Some kind of "rubber" noise. Fluid level in the pump is OK. This noise (not very loud) does not seem to come from the engine compartment, and is clearly audible in the car, behind the wheel, in the steering column area.
Took it to the dealer who replaced a part related to the air bag.
Once back home the same noise is back :mad:

Any idea ?
Thanks

Curious George
07-13-07, 02:25 AM
Is your STS equipped with the Navigation/Audio system? If so, have you enabled the "Auto EXIT steering column recall" option? (CONFIG hard key followed by these screen buttons in sequence: Vehicle/Personal Settings/Occupant Position/Auto EXIT steering column recall.) If so, do you grab the steering wheel to help you get out of our seat? If you put a load on the steering wheel while the column is retracting, the column will squeak.

THIERRY
07-13-07, 04:18 AM
Hi Curious George,

The auto exit steering column is enabled but I never grab the wheel to help me get out of the seat, the squeaking noise comes when turning the steering wheel from side to side.

Thanks for your help. :)

ijsegurola
07-13-07, 09:40 AM
I just finished reporting the same problem on my '06 which I took delivery of in April 2006.....

they told me at the dealership that they have started getting these complaints from "5 or 6 owners" and that the solution is to "lubricate the steering column" and that this has solved the problem on "3 or 4" of the cars...

dunno if this will become a recurring problem....I'll keep my fingers crossed...

:confused:

z06bigbird
07-13-07, 09:50 AM
Hi everybody,

My '05 STS V6 makes a squeeking noise when steering. Some kind of "rubber" noise. Fluid level in the pump is OK. This noise (not very loud) does not seem to come from the engine compartment, and is clearly audible in the car, behind the wheel, in the steering column area.
Took it to the dealer who replaced a part related to the air bag.
Once back home the same noise is back :mad:

Any idea ?
Thanks

Maybe some of those 2 billion mice from China got into your car.

997tt
07-13-07, 10:34 AM
It's the Rack-and-pinion, needs to be changed. Lubricating it is a temporary fix. Had the same problem on mine.

ijsegurola
07-17-07, 09:06 AM
I got my car back from the dealer and the noises have stopped after they "lubricated the steering column".....

Let's see how long the fix lasts....

Since this seems to be a recognized problem does anyone know if GM has a bulletin out on this issue?

ijsegurola
07-18-07, 11:01 AM
the noises are back....back to the dealer.....

VA Maddog
07-20-07, 06:12 PM
I have noticed the same issue on my 05 AWD. Please let us know what the repair ends up being or if anyone finds out about a TSB on the issue. Mine - sadly - is out of warrantee now due to having more than 50k miles, so fixes are on my nickle or under my own hand.

cadillac_tech
07-26-07, 04:51 PM
It's the Rack-and-pinion, needs to be changed. Lubricating it is a temporary fix. Had the same problem on mine.

I agree. I've replace lots of them for this quiet squeak. It happens most after the engine is warmed up and does sound like it's in the column. You'll be lucky if your new PS gear stays quiet. Many return with the same noise. It is happening in STS, CTS, SRX and some other non-Cadillac models. Just the seals in the spool valve I believe, irritating but notthing to worry about.

ijsegurola
07-27-07, 03:12 PM
Do you know if there's a bulletin out on this? Would love to have it on my next visit to the service department....

ijsegurola
08-17-07, 07:14 PM
UPDATE: just got my car back from the dealer where they told me they diagnosed the problem as a bad "airbag coil" that is on/wraps around the steering column....noise is gone which is good...let's hope it stays that way..

porkfarm
08-26-07, 05:47 AM
Hello all. First post here. I have this problem also.. I also had the same sound in my Jaguar X-type. Seals in the PS system where replaced and the sound never came back. I was told that the seals where too good, and if you went into a parking lot and did some lock to lock turns while bumping the wheel off the end lock. It helps get the seals wet. Worked for a week or so in the Jag, but I ended up getting it fixed. I will try to find a parking lot today for the STS. My PS fluid was a tad low and I have the ZF gear.

ijsegurola
11-07-07, 09:11 PM
Anyone know of a solution to this problem? Mine is getting really bad and I'm about to lemon law this car....

porkfarm
11-08-07, 12:56 PM
I changed the power steering fluid. It seems to have worked.. I still don't like the wheel feedback, but no sound inside now.

ijsegurola
11-08-07, 02:14 PM
What fluid did you switch to? are there any known bulletins on this issue?

porkfarm
11-08-07, 06:56 PM
I used SYN Power from Auto Zone. I don't know of any TSB. Did you also try bouncing the steeing wheel like I posted above ?

andrew99eldorado
01-11-08, 12:48 AM
bringing back an older thread to keep tabs on the problem. Our 06 STS4 just started doing making the loud sqeak this week. I noticed it cruising through a parking lot at about 5 mph. Then in park if i turn the wheel from side to side its very loud and noticeable. Gonna go to the dealer and see what they say.

porkfarm
01-11-08, 07:47 AM
The noise is back for me also. :annoyed:

ssstuffin
02-18-09, 01:48 PM
Just seen this message. Have an 05 STS with the same problem (sounds like a mouse in my steering wheel as I am turning it) they are going to replace a gear in the sterring wheel and my dealer told me it is covered under my 100,000 mile warrantee. Takes a few hours and will have my car back in the morning.

swag
02-19-09, 02:22 PM
:banghead:
I also have a 05 STS and recently my sterring wheel is amking the same noise. I would love to hear what the dealer does to yours. Thanks.

cnotesonly
03-25-09, 03:56 PM
:banghead:
I also have a 05 STS and recently my sterring wheel is amking the same noise. I would love to hear what the dealer does to yours. Thanks.
I have a 2005 STS V8 that had the same noise, the dealer ended up replacing the steering column. I swear 3 weeks went by and I didn't hear a peep then one night turning in my court at 5mph, I hear that whining B-otch back in my car. I have 2900 miles left on my 50K warranty and not sure what to have them do. Has anyone changed the factory tires i.e. Michelin to another brand? I went to a set of Kumho tires. Also, I have staggard wheels and tires if that should make a difference. There are suggestions here that make a lot of sense considering the dealer just tells me to turn the radio up louder! If there is a caddy god, please post the fix as soon as possible...I pray to you every night!

amgqmp1
03-26-09, 12:30 PM
I have noticed the same issue on my 05 AWD. Please let us know what the repair ends up being or if anyone finds out about a TSB on the issue. Mine - sadly - is out of warrantee now due to having more than 50k miles, so fixes are on my nickle or under my own hand.

I've got the same thing with my '05 RWD V8. This seems to be a new common problem. I've only noticed it when the weather has warmed up...didn't happen over the winter. I'm only at 15.4K miles, but also out of warranty.

jbellsaab
04-01-09, 09:00 AM
I had a 1998 Catera several years ago, that had this same issue. Every time the dealer "lubed" it or "replaced a bearing" it was fine for a week or two and then the noise would come back. We traded the Catera in for a 1999 STS that never had this kind of issue. Last week we traded in the 1999 with over 140K miles on it for a 2005 Certified Used STS4 and what do you know, I'm dealing with that that same steering wheel groaning noise again! You would think GM would have this figured out by now. The car is going in for the OnStar upgrade kit and other incidentals tomorrow. Hopefully I won’t get it back with lithium grease sprayed all over the instrument cluster as they did to my Catera years ago.

Angus Young
04-01-09, 08:24 PM
05 1SG same problem, along with many others

porkfarm
04-02-09, 03:35 PM
dealer just replaced steering gear. Bit early to tell if it is fixed for good. The had to adjust the toe after the gear replacement.

jbellsaab
04-03-09, 02:33 PM
Well, the car has been in the shop going on two days. The service advisor just called and said they where able to correct some of the noise but they have to order a "steering column jacket" to totally correct the problem. So we will see.....

caddycraig80
04-04-09, 08:29 AM
my steering rack is getting replaced on Monday because of that same issue, I am also getting to new door panels...cuz the mechanic screwed them up and put screws in to tight and went through the door panel.

jbellsaab
04-16-09, 11:39 AM
UPDATE - my 05 STS went in for the "Steering Column Jacket" yesterday. Got the car back last night with the explanation that the wrong part came in and the correct part only comes with the complete steering column assembly. So, now that's on order. So, this saga continues.....

jbellsaab
05-22-09, 11:54 AM
Follow up on my 05 STS steering noise - The car spent most of this week in the shop. They changed the steering column only to find that the noise was still there. The service advisor told me they took another used STS off the lot that was not making noise and swapped the steering rack with the one in my car. That resulted in both cars making the noise! They checked for body/frame alignment and even talked to Caddy engineers who, according to the service advisor, told them the noise was "normal." After all of their research, they ordered a new steering rack for my car and after replacing it, the noise is finally gone, at least for now.

EChas3
05-22-09, 09:45 PM
Both out STS's make a bit of noise when turning sharply at low speed. We notice but don't thinks it worth concern. If it gets bad, there's the warranty.

Onalaska
05-25-09, 07:34 AM
My 05 makes the noise but it is not as irritating as taking it to the dealer so I am not going to do anything about it as long as it does not get any worse.

caddyfat1
12-10-09, 08:32 PM
My 05 1SG had the same problem and the Cadillac dealer replaced the rack under warranty and that took care of the problem.
:2thumbs:

AirForce81
12-10-09, 10:34 PM
My 05 V6 with Nav is off to the dealer (under warranty) for this exact problem. I also have about 6-7 other problems I plan to get fixed under warranty.

mikey1026
12-12-09, 11:04 AM
I have a similar issue I get a squeaky noise only when adjusting the closeness of the steering wheeel when advancing the steering wheel closer to me or further away...has anyone experienced this?