: Aurora N* questions

jsw5620
07-11-07, 09:01 PM
Guys I also bought a 1995 Olds Aurora the same time I bought the 97 STS, and I was wondering if someone could point me to a website for them or if someone here could help me. The car will not pulse the injectors at all and I did some troubleshooting on it and narrowed it down to the PCM. I pulled the PCM out and got to looking at it was wondering, does this 1995 model have a removable PROM inside the computer? I pulled the cover off of the PCM and there is a socket but no PROM in it. The reason I ask is because before I got this car, someone took every fuse and relay out of this car for spares I guess. Anyone help me out?

Raze
07-11-07, 09:04 PM
Just to be sure, you checked coil packs, all good?

if it's just the PCM, get a used one online/JY, have it reflashed at your local dealer...

EDIT: Sorry I was thinking/assuming exactly what eldorado1 wrote!

jsw5620
07-11-07, 09:07 PM
But do these PCM's have removable PROM's? If they do, then I am missing it.

eldorado1
07-11-07, 09:18 PM
Can you take a picture? is it about 12" square and have a red/white/blue connectors on the side? If so then yes, it has a removable prom.

jsw5620
07-11-07, 09:44 PM
It is exactly as you decribed. I removed the access panel on it that has the two torx screws holding it on and low and behold, there is a socket on the board but no PROM in it. I guess someone stole that too when they stole all of the relays and fuses.

Raze
07-11-07, 09:55 PM
Please do not be offended by this as it is not aimed toward you but the situation:

HA-HA HAHAHAHAHAHA I know if I were in your situation I would not be able to do anything but laugh, when my buddies and I beat our heads against a wall after scratching our heads and then the answer 'presents' itself there's not much you can do but relax and have a beer...

On a more serious note you should be able to get a used one, or just go to a JY and do the same thing to another one and have it reflashed...

jsw5620
07-11-07, 10:44 PM
No offense taken. It is actually pretty humorous. There has been a quite a few people trying to figure out what was wrong with the car. It needed a fuel pump and one was put in it. And then they couldn't figure out why it wasn't pulsing the injectors. I guess if its missing the PROM, then that is why. One more thing though, you can pour a little gas in the TB or put a gas soaked rag over it and it will run. With it missing the PROM, should it still run that way? Also, if I get one from the same year and make, why should I need to get it reflashed?

Raze
07-12-07, 07:38 AM
To the first part about it running with some gas in it I would say it's possible since you may be getting spark, just no gas since your carputer was missing it's prom,

The second part about the reflash is because you don't know what option codes are on the vehicle and how your computer will behave if there's something the prom expects to see but is missing from your car, or if there's something on your car inputing to the prom that it doesn't expect because the doner prom's car doesn't have an option you have...

You could always just give it a shot and if it works, no codes are set and it drives like it should then be happy and forget the flash, I just wanted to make you aware of the situation...

jsw5620
07-12-07, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all your input guys! As always, you guys came to the rescue.

eldorado1
07-12-07, 10:51 AM
The ignition system is separate from the rest... it will spark and run without any input from the computer.

clarkz71
07-12-07, 12:48 PM
You can go to any GM dealer, give them your VIN and order the
correct PROM. They come ready to install. It's not like the later
PCM on 96 & up. They are flashed by the dealer.

jsw5620
07-12-07, 10:10 PM
Thanks, I figured that out already. The PROM is $122 from the dealer and that is at cost. I found a whole computer in a JY for $50. It is up and running now.

MonzaRacer
07-16-07, 01:46 AM
Email me at Xanadu4024@aol.com
I hace an ecm from a 95 aurora with prom in it AC delco pn #88961146, its a gm reman I am tryig to buy the engine out of the car but havent had the cash.
If your interested email me.
Lee