: Another reason to hate Target!

caddydaddy
07-11-07, 12:55 PM
Target hit with $120,000 fine
July 10, 2007

WASHINGTON --Target Corp.'s sale of contraband confetti has resulted in a $120,000 penalty.

The Environmental Protection Agency said Tuesday it fined the retailer for selling a sprayable confetti string product called Horrible Spooky String that contains an ozone-depleting chemical.

The EPA said millions of cans of confetti, under the brand names like Zany String, Crazy String and Party Streamer have been sold illegally in the United States. The chlorofluorocarbons contained in the products have been banned for more than a decade.

The EPA said Target cooperated with its enforcement effort, removing more than 780,000 cans from shelves and sending them to be incinerated.

A Target representative could not immediately be reached for comment.

Silver Dollar
07-11-07, 01:11 PM
Why would this make me hate Target?

Jesda
07-11-07, 01:57 PM
I hate all the red! I like the availability of Jones Cola in cans.

The Tony Show
07-11-07, 02:12 PM
Yeah! Screw Target, because they.......um..........er...........huh? One of their buyers supplied them with silly string that didn't conform to EPA regs? Rotten bastards! Then they had the nerve to pull all the inventory when they found out?? Shenanigans!!

malcolm
07-11-07, 03:17 PM
oh yeah, a bunch of 12 year olds will destroy planet earth with some silly string. Give me a break, I'm surprised they didn't heap global warming on too.

EcSTSatic
07-11-07, 03:34 PM
It's another case of China's blatant disregard for health and environment issues. Boooo China!

"EPA Orders Stores to Eliminate Illegal Confetti String Five national store chains in the U.S. have been ordered to clear their shelves of, and destroy, cans of illegally imported confetti string products that contain banned hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) propellants, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said Tuesday.
HCFCs, which were banned in the U.S. more than a decade ago, deplete the Earth's ozone layer, which protects humans, animals and plants from the sun's harmful radiation. Damage to the ozone layer increases the risk of skin cancer, cataracts and crop damage.
The five chains -- American Greetings Inc., Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Target, and Too, Inc. (which owns Limited Too) -- have complied with the EPA order and pulled the children's products off their shelves. The companies will send more than 2.7 million cans of confetti string to a commercial incinerator for destruction.
The companies also agreed to audit their operation and adopt new policies to prevent a repeat of this kind of problem.
The illegal canned string products were made in China and Taiwan and went by various names, including Zany String, Crazy String, and Party Streamer.
"

railven
07-11-07, 04:37 PM
Throw Toothpaste and Cat/Dog food into the list of bad products outta China.

Sandy
07-11-07, 04:54 PM
As some of you know, who know me, I (WE) buy nothing from any Japanese or Chinese companies. Haven't & wouldn;t. I check all labels, before shipping my $$$ to overseas sourced corporations. Part of my families "AMERICA FIRST" policy. Sadly, Son has yet to adopt this fully, as witnessed by his new Mazda 3 GT. He tells me that Mazda is 33 & 1/3rd owned by FoMoCo & this is true, but looking at the door jamb is the label MADE IN JAPAN.
Therefore "Mazdi" lives in the driveway and does not get garage privlidges, which go to the Lincoln and the Cadillac, and the Jeep (made prior to the Daimler/Chrysler marriage).

RightTurn
07-11-07, 05:03 PM
Why would this make me hate Target?

:yeah:

malcolm
07-11-07, 05:06 PM
We are a country of cheap bastards that continue to shop in places like Walmart. And only have ourselves to blame. We need to stop supporting a country that continues to do serious damage to us as well as the environment, don't get me started on human rights. Until then expect more pets to die and poison toothpaste to show up in our stores.

WinnipegCadillac
07-11-07, 05:14 PM
But by making use of child labour and poor working conditions (i.e. crumbling old buildings and the like), companies are able to maintain low low overhead which they can then pass on to me, the consumer.

Yay child labour!

Blackout
07-11-07, 05:19 PM
Worst thread ever

97DevilleBeige
07-11-07, 05:50 PM
This china issue is playing out big at where I work. Years back, all air conditioners were made in America, then the manufacturers started sourcing the air conditioners from other countries. It is now to the point where 95% of the air conditioners we sell come from China. The ONLY company that makes their air conditioners in America is Friedrich. Now, they have been sourcing about half of their products from china as well to compete with the other manufacturers.

Simple Comparison:
8,000 BTU Window/Wall unit w/slide out chassis.
Friedrich American Made model (XQ08L10) Aprox retail: $550
Friedrich Chinese Made model (CP08N10) Aprox retial: $250

Even though the American made model is super energy efficient, fits a standard sleeve size, and commercial quality, I sell fifteen of the chinese ones for every one American model. Companies can't afford to rely on American labor, or else they would go out of business. The Fedders corporation didn't switch to Chinese labor till it was too late and the company is in shambles. Freidrich caught on and is at least offering cusotmers a choice. By the way, both models come with a one year warranty on parts and labor.

Customers just aren't willing to pay for the American made models. Even if the chinese one falls apart in a two or three years, the American made model isn't guaranteed to last longer. I've seen the American models break just as soon as the chinese ones.

Silver Dollar
07-11-07, 05:51 PM
oh yeah, a bunch of 12 year olds will destroy planet earth with some silly string. Give me a break, I'm surprised they didn't heap global warming on too.

We are a country of cheap bastards that continue to shop in places like Walmart. And only have ourselves to blame. We need to stop supporting a country that continues to do serious damage to us as well as the environment, don't get me started on human rights. Until then expect more pets to die and poison toothpaste to show up in our stores.

Huh?

Are we a tad bipolar today?

urbanski
07-11-07, 06:03 PM
Worst thread ever

pretty much

Silver Dollar
07-11-07, 06:08 PM
I love bad threads! I've started many of them :)

The Tony Show
07-11-07, 06:26 PM
Hmmm.....

malcolm
07-11-07, 06:35 PM
Huh?

Are we a tad bipolar today?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/malcolmd/T-Shirt-And-Your-Point-Is-792074.jpg

Ah, no. I think global warming is BS and Walmart sells crap.

Rolex
07-11-07, 09:19 PM
Worst thread ever

:yup:

gary88
07-11-07, 09:33 PM
:gg:

Jonas McFeely
07-11-07, 09:52 PM
Milk

Florian
07-11-07, 10:00 PM
China fooks up again....screw them....they can suck my fleshy eggroll.

F

AlBundy
07-11-07, 10:05 PM
Maybe if the japanese start scewing up more people will start to buying american made again.:thumbsup::histeric:

Spyder
07-11-07, 11:41 PM
You know what I like? I like that the stuff they pulled was bad for the ozone. So they pulled it off of the shelves. And incinerated it.

WTF?